Why the Fostex MR8-HD is better than the original MR8

crgl

I am not trying to convince the users of the original MR8 ( I am one of them ) but to convince the ones who are deciding between the two units.

The obvious reason to buy the MR8-HD is because it has 40GB memory included. Everybody who has the MR8 knows that the 128MB card included with the unit is not enough for recording and has had to invest at least $20 in another card. Actually the MR8 is much cheaper now ( $249 ) but...

anyway, I have read the online manual of the Fostex MR8-HD and have found at least 7 additional features that the original MR8 doesn't have:

PROS:

1. 40 Gb internal hard drive ( more than 125 hours of mono recording. That's more than 5 days of continuous recording ).

2. Input A has send-return for insert effects ( like compression-limiting )

3. "Phantom power" on all inputs.

4. Can mix all 8 tracks to a master track ( two mono L-R )

5. although both units record 16 bit 44.1 MHz the MR8-HD has 24 bit analog to digital and 24 bit digital to analog conversion. The MR8 is all 16 bit.

6. has another USB "host" port for future expansion maybe for external CD burning directly from the MR8-HD.

7. When bouncing all tracks you can mix the input signals of Inputs A - D with their respective gain and panning ( this panning is selected in a menu , the panning knob is for the recorded track ). This means you can mix four additional signals live while bouncing .

8. It uses a computer kind of cable instead of a power plug.

It has other features that I didn' understand like : 3 second maximum "peak-hold time setting" for level meters ", the effects have a "new" algorithm ( but probably sound the same ), the inputs specifications have changed a bit ( don't know if this will have to do with the preamplifiers changing as well ).

CONS:

1. it is a little bigger than the MR8

2. it doesn't run on batteries.

3. doesn't have an internal mic.

4. It doesn't come in RED, although it comes in black ( better than the silver ).

Discuss

Last edited:
Discuss?

I haven't checked out the MR8HD but you made your case so well there's not much room for discussion. It sounds like the MR8HD is better.
Thanks for a list of all the features.

I wish I had waited...I just got a 512mb card cause the included card was a joke. Even though I mix in my computer, I would have liked more time on the card to play with.

the mr8hd is definitely a step above the mr8. so many features I wish I had.

Another feature:

The MR8-HD records in " Industry-first FAT32 disk format and WAV file recording in the HD multitrack recorder of this class; PC-friendly advantage "

That is the disk format of most computers I know. Check the BIOS of your computer to check this: " FAT32".
The MR8 is FAT16

Last edited:
still another feature for sequencer or pc, midi users:

Rythm section has additional features for signature map and tempo.

ok, I finally found an important flaw in the MR8-HD. According to the manual:

" If you make recording or editing to a song many times, audio may be occasionally interrupted when the song is played back, due to data fragmentation. Note that this is not a malfunction."

I assume that this interruption will have no effect in tempo or bouncing since this will mean repeating recordings everytime there occurs an interruption.

also:

" When importing data from a personal computer to the MR-8HD, there is the danger that the MR-8HD file system may be destroyed. Especially, deleting or adding files many times may cause the fragmentation of FAT32, resulting in sound jump caused by performance deterioration. Therefore, before loading data from a personal computer to the MR-8HD, save all necessary folders to the personal computer and format the MR-8HD hard disk. "

Everytime I want to load a song into the MR-8HD I will have to format the internal disk for preventing errors ? and if have 30GB of data on the MR-8HD ? :eek:

crgl said:
Another feature:

The MR8-HD records in " Industry-first FAT32 disk format and WAV file recording in the HD multitrack recorder of this class; PC-friendly advantage "

That is the disk format of most computers I know. Check the BIOS of your computer to check this: " FAT32".
The MR8 is FAT16

Interesting, but not relevant. Files are files and the file system they come from matters not.

Where it does make a difference is the size of disk that can be used. FAT16 volumes are limited to about 2GB, and this is a 40 GB drive. It wouldn't work for FAT16 format.

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
Interesting, but not relevant. Files are files and the file system they come from matters not.

Where it does make a difference is the size of disk that can be used. FAT16 volumes are limited to about 2GB, and this is a 40 GB drive. It wouldn't work for FAT16 format.

Ed

that explains why the MR8 works only with compact flash cards ( 2GB limit ).

You forgot to mention that with the MR-8HD one can record 4 tracks at a time while one is limited to 2 tracks at a time with the MR-8.

Hey everyone,

I have been offline for four months. I was very excited to hear about this new modification of the MR-8, which is what I almost purchased last year.

Since you all seem to be so informed, I think you should construct a list of microphones and cables somebody would need to go along with this piece equipment so that they're not caught in the headlights and lost as to what they need as far as accessories go.

I think it would be a great idea. I would like to purchase one of these soon, but I don't know where to begin. I was lost when I was trying to find the cables and mics, and accessories for the MR-8, and I don't know where to begin here either.

I think that this would be a good idea for all who would like to purchase it.

What do you all think? I know it would help me better to know, especially from people who know what they're talking about.

It would also make the purchasing process easier, having the appropriate mics, cables, and accessories in a list so you could just buy it quickly without hassle.

Just a thought.

uhhuhhim

uhhuhhim said:
Hey everyone,

I have been offline for four months. I was very excited to hear about this new modification of the MR-8, which is what I almost purchased last year.

Since you all seem to be so informed, I think you should construct a list of microphones and cables somebody would need to go along with this piece equipment so that they're not caught in the headlights and lost as to what they need as far as accessories go.

I think it would be a great idea. I would like to purchase one of these soon, but I don't know where to begin. I was lost when I was trying to find the cables and mics, and accessories for the MR-8, and I don't know where to begin here either.

I think that this would be a good idea for all who would like to purchase it.

What do you all think? I know it would help me better to know, especially from people who know what they're talking about.

It would also make the purchasing process easier, having the appropriate mics, cables, and accessories in a list so you could just buy it quickly without hassle.

Just a thought.

uhhuhhim

Look here:
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.co...dio_video.html&client=ca-pub-3691327694908149

It's an add on this site...

YeshuasFan said:
You forgot to mention that with the MR-8HD one can record 4 tracks at a time while one is limited to 2 tracks at a time with the MR-8.

I don't know how I forgot to mention that which is very important. Remember also that when bouncing you can mix four additional input signals.

why the mr8hd?

I had the mr8 for a couple of months, then upgraded to the mr8hd - first in New Hampshire to get one. I also use the Yamaha 10/2 mixer. Really need an outboard mixer to go with the mr8hd. Why the mr8hd? Best in class for an inexpensive digital workstation. The possibilities with it are about endless, as long as you don't try to get all your mic gain directly using the trim control, don't try to use the onboard phantom power (all or none so to speak) and don't depend on the units effects. Just straight digital recording is what it's best at, and lots of value for the money. Beyond that, no damn flashcards. Good luck. Ken

my mr8-hd has the same problem my Mr-8 had, which is that it's noisy, ughhhhhhh. I've gotta be the only person in the world to have gotten two messed up fostexs. I get a ton of static sound. I sent my old mr-8 in and they fixed it, but then i upgraded and now i have a piece of shit again. anyway, enough ranting. Another con for the mr8-hd is that it has weak ass pre-amps just like the old mr-8.

Except for the increased storage capacity of the new MR-8HD, wouldn't the owner of the original MR-8 be better off to just get an outboard mixer for much less than the $399.00 price tag of the new model?

Geesh! You have GOT to be kidding me...

That thing is SO NOT RED!!! :mad:

That abomination is a disgrace to the good name of Fostex.

Besides, everyone knows that real men use compact flash EXCLUSIVELY!!!
I mix down on my CF and then bounce it directly to 8 track tape.

NOW GET WITH IT!!!

Drummerdude1989 said:
my mr8-hd has the same problem my Mr-8 had, which is that it's noisy, ughhhhhhh. I've gotta be the only person in the world to have gotten two messed up fostexs. I get a ton of static sound. I sent my old mr-8 in and they fixed it, but then i upgraded and now i have a piece of shit again. anyway, enough ranting. Another con for the mr8-hd is that it has weak ass pre-amps just like the old mr-8.
Dude, if both of them have had that problem, it may not be the Fostex. It could be your house wiring. I'd get that checked out...

Ricklh said:
Except for the increased storage capacity of the new MR-8HD, wouldn't the owner of the original MR-8 be better off to just get an outboard mixer for much less than the $399.00 price tag of the new model?

Not necessarily. The problem I have is the limited inputs. Yeah, I have an outboard mixer, but the bottleneck is still all those outboard channels going into 2 inputs (left and right stereo respectively). So, if you don't get the mix right before you start recording, you're hosed. Once it's recorded, they're all on two tracks (L and R) and you can't mix appropriately. The 4 inputs I think is the biggest upgrade.

Just my two cents...
esteef

Back