why sonar? sell it to me!!!

jazzmaster

Hi all,

I am shopping around for a good sequencer.

I tried the Sx demo and had a look at the cubase.net forum. Seeing so many users pissed off, I am quite hesitant buying SX, although I like the user interface and automation facilities.

Another issue: drivers!!! with plasma express bundled for free with computer music magazine I get 2 ms latency. I noticed I can do live input monitoring (guitar) without any prob.

In cubase with a so- called latency of 4 ms (asio) there is a noticable delay. Are wdm drivers more efficient than ASIO?

I do not like the mixer of plasma/Sonar compared to the SX one, I think it is over- simple, or am I missing something?

I would use reason as a sound module rewired to the sequencer.

Gimme some reasons to buy sonar over cubase SX!!!

(oh yes, I do need notation to)

PC specs:
Thunderbird 1200
Asus / via kt 133A
512 mb sdr
2 x 40gig seagate barracuda IV
Win Xp pro
Gforce 2 mx 400

soundcard: terratec mt88

Thanx in advance

TOP TEN REASONS TO GET SONAR
10.The cats and chicks on this forum are way cooler than those cubase dorks.
9.You'll get whiter whites and brighter brights.
8.In a scientific study 9 out of 10 people prefered the smell of the sonar cd to the cubase cd.
7.sonar just sounds cooler than cubase...c'mon say it, s-o-n-a-r!!
6.Cubase is made by underage workers in sweatshops somewhere in Iraq.
5.10% of all proceeds from sonar go toward finding a cure for techno.
4.If you don't buy sonar something bad will happen to someone somewhere,now you don't want that to happen....do you?
3.Music made with sonar goes great with beer!
2.It's 100% fat free!
And the number one reason to get sonar(drumroll please)....

Chicks dig guys with SONAR!!!

I do not like the mixer of plasma/Sonar compared to the SX one, I think it is over- simple, or am I missing something?
Is simplicity a problem? ;) I don't see a problem with that...

All cool kids use Sonar!
© 2001-2002 Acidrock

The Track view is real nice... You can pretty much do all your tracking and mixing in that window. I am not too familiar with anything but Cake products but I was pretty impressed with the track view improvements.

Vice

i love sonar's track view. its easy to add/wipe/remove tracks and easy to cut/paste and slide track pieces.

the only thing that causes me grief from time to time is when i attempt to cut a piece of a track that is a duplicate part and sonar cuts the original too. so you have to remember to unbind the duplicate from the original befor slicing it.

for me, sonar's console view is just right. i can't think of anything off hand that i would change about it.

but the thing that just occurred to me that i like most about sonar is that it easy enough to use that i don't have to think about it, i just work, and its got enough oomph that i don't have any real complaints.

Hi,

Thanx all for your reply's.

By over- simple I mean that there are for instance EQ inserted by default. Everything is treated like a plug- in.

You have to admit the user interface (eg. the mixer) of cubase SX is terrific no?

By over- simple I mean that there are for instance EQ inserted by default. Everything is treated like a plug- in.
EQ inserted by default?Not in Sonar.

Everything is treated like a plugin?

Could you explain this?

Are you a Cubase mole?

there is a setting in the Sonar-1 that allows you to turn off the EQ being automatically placed into the track insert.

I don't see that setting in Sonar-2, and I don't remember exactly where the setting was because I turned it off as soon as I got Sonar 1.

Everything dealing with FX and Dynamics is plug-in based. I think it gives you the best bang for the buck.

I use SEKD's Samplitude Master (ie... Red Roaster) to master my projects. Since SM and Sonar are both DirectX, I don't have to worry about proprietary software issues.

One word, "Toolbars" Sonar has, Cubase doesn't. That alone makes the Sonar GUI far better and easier to use than cubase.

Why can't you just add an EQ to the tracks that need them, If I remember right, you have to open the EQ in cubase just like an effect in sonar to use it (if you can find it). The only reason I tried the SX demo was I thought the EQ controls would be up front.

... and I prefer to licking a screen with Sonar on it than SX. mmm S-O-N-A-R.

After years of using Cubase on a mac, I finally switched to Cakewalk the same time I switched to PC. I was a bit pissed about first (because I had to 'convert' 300 songs - read: import/export thousands of seperate wav/midi files) - but now I can't go back. It's so much easier. You don't even need the manual for most things. I remember getting sick of all the mixers Cubase has all the time. When you're a beginning recording musician you have no idea how all these group/sub group/master fx/track fx routes work. It's really annoying when you just WANNA RECORD something.

Many people only look at the GUI and say: it looks so ugly, Cubase looks much more sophisticated (and I admit, it does). Don't get fooled by the looks though: do you go for Jennifer Lopez or for Joni Mitchell?

Last edited:
Top 10 reasons:

1. If you make music for industry, Top of high end record companies only sign an artist record their demo with SONAR, not Cubase. And furthermore, they record their artist with SONAR. And they get rich.

2. If you make music for your girls, Chicks only impressed by SONAR made music. (unless you live in Mexico... Anything played with guitar are accepted.) It sounds more romantic, and you can expect to sleep her right in no time...

3. If you make music for fun, then anything made without SONAR is not fun. If you think there is, then you must be wrong... it must have been made with SONAR, or it's not that fun. You need to adjust your sense of fun. Period.

4. If you make music for friend, you wont have any friend without SONAR... (Yess, you're pathetic without it...)

5. Submarines uses SONAR to detect any incoming misile, NOT Cubase.

6. SONAR means signal / wave. That's close to music / audio. Cubase means...? :confused:

7. Cakewalk Forum is above Cubase in "User Forum by brands" of this BBS. Cakewalk = SONAR. That means, SONAR above Cubase. Period.

8. James Argo used SONAR. Still asking for more reason ?

9. All of us (guys here who suggested SONAR) can do no wrong. We are always right. So, never ever ever ever chalange us.

10. You think there's something wrong ? Check point no. 9.

;)
Jaymz

James Argo wrote:

If you make music for your girls, Chicks only impressed by SONAR made music. (unless you live in Mexico... Anything played with guitar are accepted.) It sounds more romantic, and you can expect to sleep her right in no time...

I'm off to Mexico then;)

James Argo said:

4. If you make music for friend, you wont have any friend without SONAR... (Yess, you're pathetic without it...)

I don't know about that. I use Sonar and I still don't have any friends. :(

Will you be my friend??

Back