...why do I want a patchbay...

I have one of those cheap ultrapatch pro's. I use it to be able to plug my guitar or bass into two or more sources. For example when I record bass, I like to capture a good bass cabinet sound but as well I want to go DI as well Just in case. So I plug bass into front hole. Run two cables out.
Here's my delema though. This thing is 1/4 inch but not tip ring send. So I only ever use it to be able to play guitar and bass into two amps and stuff. I mistakenly thought it was tip ring send. And was going to do the same thing with a multiple headphone send. But I cant because its mono. If it was mono for the first 12 bays and stereo for the other 12 it would have heaps more plugged into it. And be 10 times more usefull.
If I want to connect my pre's and other rack gear to it it wouldn't be ballanced cause its mono. So I dont. So your all thinking why doesn't this guy just buy a stereo 1/4 inch patchbay. Well they all seem to be mono. So I end up using those dicky one to two adapter things for this task.

Damn. I just found this one.
http://www.gigcables.com/CNpatchbays.html
And it has the switching on the front to. Not like the Behringer which has them on the top. Which prevents them from being stacked on top of each other. Looks like my Behringer is a real bad design. And its the only one they have. I should have known better.

But wait a minute. Its only ballanced for straigt through. So you still cant split a balanced line in into two out. Shit. There must be something somewhere on this planet.

That patchbay is availiable from loads of places, but seem stop actually be made by Hosa. I wonder why most retailers of it are so afraid of mentioning this. ;)

What about the Furman I linked to above, it's balanced and can split signals? I'm not sure it splits balanced stuff too, but it seems like it would.

So if I want to run stereo cables through a patch bay I want a balanced patch bay, correct?

Would that work :confused:
Yeah, that might work. It seems more reasonable to use up two connections, but hey, what works for you...

regebro said:
Would that work :confused:
Yeah, that might work. It seems more reasonable to use up two connections, but hey, what works for you...

Normally I would, but my main reason would be to patch balanced mic cables through the patch bay and possably some rear-mounted phones jacks.

chessrock said:
Beware of the phantom power issue when using mics with 1/4" - type bays.

Ah! Something I have not thought about! Thank you very much for the link, very helpful.

Back