Why are the commercials so loud?

^ You aren't. Still prefer VHS to DVD ... at least they continue to work; I look at a dvd sideways; or often straight out the box they dont work!! am I gunna go return it to the 5 dollar bin, probably not.

Anything "Smart" also functions as a GPS; therefor if you are concerned about that kind of thing 'smart' may be a dumb idea. In the late 90s i heard there were cameras in TV's and I really don't care if they track what i watch on tv.... but yea the 60's 'watchout there trying to bug us' 2010; lets bug ourselvles because we want big bros help and the benefits outweigh the risk. go figure.

I am famously technology challenged. i have never owned a cell phone and struggle am still getting ahold of bussing and sends (I know the second one is the larger sin)

I am trying not to be a grumpy old guy, but it is f'in hard not to be!
Heh! I DO own a mobile ("cell") phone but find it mostly useless. The touch screen does not seem to like my skin. I swipe and swipe and on the third or so swipe it opens the call. The phones are too quiet for me but the one good thing is that I now have it running through through Bluetooth to my hearing aids* . I don't know HTF people 'do' internet and email on them? Mine is just a confusing mess of pop ups and ads. Then, when I DO manage to answer a call the effin screen goes black and I don't know WTF to do!

I also have (and pay royally for!) a landline because the handsets go louder than mobiles AND have speakerphone. Proper buttons as well. A couple of years ago BT my supplier, changed us over to VOiP and that is not without its quirks. They have had to stall the country wide roll out however because the dickheads did not realize the implications of removing the 50V power coming from the exchange!

"I said....WER'E GOING FOR A WALK LATER!"

Dave.

Hey Tru, if you would like some spare VHS tapes, I've got 5 boxes of them from my dad's collection. Somewhere in that pile of TVLand reruns are (hopefully) some more family videos. But you're welcome to take all the ones with the I Love Lucy and WKRP reruns.. free, just pick them up.

I have transferred quite a few to digital, but I had to go through 3 VHS decks to find one that still worked. They aren't any more robust than DVD players. Out of the hundreds of DVDs that I have, only a couple have had any issue, and one was fixed by simply cleaning it. As long as you don't scratch the silver surface, they last pretty well.

Heh! I DO own a mobile ("cell") phone but find it mostly useless. The touch screen does not seem to like my skin. I swipe and swipe and on the third or so swipe it opens the call. The phones are too quiet for me but the one good thing is that I now have it running through through Bluetooth to my hearing aids* . I don't know HTF people 'do' internet and email on them? Mine is just a confusing mess of pop ups and ads. Then, when I DO manage to answer a call the effin screen goes black and I don't know WTF to do!

I also have (and pay royally for!) a landline because the handsets go louder than mobiles AND have speakerphone. Proper buttons as well. A couple of years ago BT my supplier, changed us over to VOiP and that is not without its quirks. They have had to stall the country wide roll out however because the dickheads did not realize the implications of removing the 50V power coming from the exchange!

Dave.
I have to say, with your CCTV over there, they have known what you guys are doing for a long time. Now they know what is going on inside. (Camera alert, Dave is going for a walk)

Dave.

I hear you, get this chinsy shit, I too pay for a landline: But apparently they are so obsolete that the phone jacks (that are like standard in homes!) don't even work and it all runs through a modem which is only accessible at one point in the house... I bet you can guess which room they were "able" to install it in too... Everything HAS to be bundled together too so if I miss a payment there goes internet tv and phone. All comm lines down. Oh or if there is like a bad storm or something (ya know when ya may need it most) *Shakes fist angrily* Damn kids

Talisman -- No ish? I love lucy is my ma's favorite show. I may just message you about that at some point.

My parents had the same land line from 1950 to 2013. When my mom had to move to a nursing home and my dad was in rehab from a broken hip, my brother bought a base station from Walmart that allowed you to hook up two standard phones, but it really worked through the cell system. When my dad moved into an assisted living facility, we just unplugged it, moved it to the new place and he was up and running with the same number and wireless station in each room. My nephew now has the base station and keeps it for his "land line". It runs him $15/month and works pretty much just like the land lines did.

I went to a VOIP system for $20/month after ATT/Bell got up to almost $50 a month for just local service. I get unlimited US/Canada calls, and if I knew anyone in Puerto Rico, Mexico, the US Virgin Islands or Guam, I could call them for free. I've still got 6 phones throughout the house, so I don't have to run to catch a call. I also have a cell phone with 15GB of data for $20 which has proven to be more handy than I thought. I resisted getting a cell phone for some years, but had to get one for work. When I retired, I had the company transfer the number to me.

I hear you, get this chinsy shit, I too pay for a landline: But apparently they are so obsolete that the phone jacks (that are like standard in homes!) don't even work and it all runs through a modem which is only accessible at one point in the house... I bet you can guess which room they were "able" to install it in too... Everything HAS to be bundled together too so if I miss a payment there goes internet tv and phone. All comm lines down. Oh or if there is like a bad storm or something (ya know when ya may need it most) *Shakes fist angrily* Damn kids

Talisman -- No ish? I love lucy is my ma's favorite show. I may just message you about that at some point.
When BT switched me over to VOiP they gave me two handsets and two chargers, very bad designs BTW, the phone fall out of them if you sneeze near them. I have since found another handset and charger at a charity shop. Took for 'king AGES to sync to the router but now I have three I can disburse through my home. The BT router also has a standard British RJ11 phone jack on it and I could setup my existing DEC base station and thus would have a grand total of SIX handsets! I may disconnect the DEC as I never use it. The downside to all this is that the system needs local mains power to work and although power outages are very rare in my part of UK they DO happen. Had some very strong winds lately!

What BT did not foresee is that 1000s of dwellings have alarm systems for old and other vulnerable people which ran on the old Copper network and relied on its DC power. Now, BT COULD give these people a UPS each but that would only give them a few hours backup, a day at best unless it was the size of a fridge.

As a 'tronics tech there was something very comforting about a phone that had a direct, Copper link to the exchange. Now it is just airy-fairy Wi Fi!

Dave.

When there is a big family gathering, like christmas, some family members will be white, and some will be 'multicultural ethnic minorities'.
This is all un-realistic, and leads the viewer to believe that there are hardly any white people living in England
But these are English ads on English {or at least British} TV, are they not ? Terrestrial TV here died long ago. The advent of Sky and then YouTube was its death knell.
That whole "multicultural families" bit actually goes back to 2012 and the Olympic opening ceremony that Danny Boyle did. I remember commenting on it on HR at the time, the very night, I think. The reality is that a huge number of Britain's White population has someone Black and/or mixed-race within the family. That has been on the increase since the 1950s. And a huge slice of Britain's Black population has someone White or mixed-race in the family. Somewhere {I have both with all my siblings although interestingly, my wife doesn't and she's one of 7 ~ although one of her sisters was engaged to a White guy for a while}. Whether or not all the families get together at Christmas and eat food from Tesco's is anyone's guess. :sneaky: If they do, you can bet it will be loud though, whether the ads need to boost the volume or not ! When my Mum addressed a crowded hall, she never needed a microphone !! :o:ROFLMAO:

Having not said all that I was going to say, I will say this ¬> I'd love to meet that person who genuinely believes there are hardly any White people living in England !

I'd love to meet that person who genuinely believes there are hardly any White people living in England !
I read about a survey some months ago, when people were asked what percentage of the UK population was non-white.
Some people said 50%, because that's what they see on TV.
The real figure is around 10%.
I've got nothing against blacks or any other variation. What I am against is twisted political correctness.
If whites marry whites, and blacks marry blacks, and arabs marry arabs, then everyone knows who they are.

Back on topic, I sometimes have to turn TV shows up, and others down.

"I've got nothing against blacks or any other variation. What I am against is twisted political correctness.
If whites marry whites, and blacks marry blacks, and arabs marry arabs, then everyone knows who they are."

Except they can't Ray. There have been a couple of TV docs where people were invited to get their DNA history checked and they often find amazing race traces that no one ever expected.

People throughout history have tried to manage a "pure bloodline" and so royal families ended up with dire diseases and idiots!

I do not ever want to offend any religious people here but we are all basically "Rift Valley People" even though I am as white as the driven and probably have Irish ancestors.

Oh yes! We are all about 2% Neanderthal as well.

Dave.

I read about a survey some months ago, when people were asked what percentage of the UK population was non-white.
Some people said 50%, because that's what they see on TV.
There's very little you can say to someone who believes everything they see on TV.
Loud adverts or not !
I'm interested in why it actually should matter if someone thinks there's hardly any White people living in England.
I wonder if the elephants in the zoos around England care that most of the people they see are White ? :censored:

It reminds me of buying a new car. I purchased a car once and never really seen that many. I thought it was "unique". Afterwards, I say them everywhere. You will see what you are looking for.

Back