Why am I hearing crackling

Dave,
Remember, there are two ways you can do the MP3s, If you just upload it seems they present as an attachment. If you insert it you get the player, at least on my systems, under both Firefox and Chrome.

Inserted:
View attachment Guitar.mp3

I just did the insert option to see if that helps. I appreciate the feedback. So how do I get rid of the buzzing/analog clipping? I'm not sure where the excess gain is coming from. My preamp gain is pretty low and the line channel I'm plugged into on my interface only has a gain button which is on low/off. When I strum a clean chord, I hear the buzzing, even when I'm not using any plug-ins. I hear the same buzzing when I bypass my preamp and plug directly into the instrument line of my interface.

Attachments

• Test.mp3
    941.1 KB
Sorry to tell you Razz, but you're still clipping the signal. Not having the units you are using, I really don't know how to adjust the gain, other than turning the gain all the way down on the 1073, or eliminating it entirely and just plugging the guitar into the Yamaha.

Still Clipping.jpg

I have my preamp plugged into Yamaha's 2/3 channel, in the input right below the keyboard pic, which is the line in. The gain knob doesn't control that channel. The line in know is usually around 12-3

I don't hear a crackling sound.
A compressor should help you with the clipping.
I don't use a compressor because it robs tone imho.
A good DAW will allow some EQ shaping to put you in the sweet spot without the clips.

The clipping is obvious, and there's plenty of noise in the track when you lift it even 15dB.

Where's the GAIN switch set on that channel? I would just try plugging the guitar in direct into the AG03 (no pedals!) and then experiment with that simple setup, known good cable for the guitar direct into the AG03. Record with the Gain switch up, turn the channel volume all the way down, then noon, then all the way up; then, re-run the same test with the Gain switch down. It may not affect what goes into the USB - no block diagram (Dave's peeve), but that sequence will test that. Leave the DAW's track fader at zero and record. Then, output without normalizing at all. Leave silence before and after. Then, post that.

I’d missed totally the very inappropriate and unhelpful ‘mixing console’ you have matched with a two and a half grand very high end preamp. It only has one led to give you any indication of level, 3dB below FS. I suspect you have the +4dB output going to the line input, which doesn’t even seem mentioned in the spec, but almost certainly consumer level expecting a maximum of .7V. Your Neve is roughly double that in voltage terms. So while you get told it’s not over level, clearly the circuit design allows distortion before the measuring stage and it’s simply a very nice mixer for podcasters, who shouldn’t need a Neve to save their lives. I bet that crackly distortion doesn’t happen when you plug the mic in direct. You might even be happy with the going direct quality, if so, you could return or sell the Neve. That preamp would never be on my shopping list. I’d never hear what it does, because it’s not icing on the cake, it’s haute cuisine icing and for me, totally pointless. I’m old fashioned and fixed in my views, but I can hear the difference in tone between an SM58 and a Neumann 87, but is it actually worth the difference with what I record? Not remotely. The step ups for me have been in the number of channels, 2 to 4, then the 8 inputs that do virtually everything I need. I do have three 24 input devices that I use in bigger venues, but they’re in cases in the store most of the time, and would be pointless to use in the studio. That dinky 100 quid mixer is a pretty compromised product, not in quality, which with 192KHz capability, is quality wise pretty good, but in controllability. It’s designed for people who want to get a single mic into a computer, with maybe a little music added in, or maybe an audio feed from a camera. It’s not designed for sound conscious enthusiasts. Clearly, you are overloading it. You could turn down the Neve, but then you’ve compromised the excellent capabilities that has. Just a real mismatch. Quality four wheel drive winter tyres fitted to a limousine.

I don't disagree in a general sense with Rob, but I suspect it's possible to connect it to the line input and set that gain switch to a position that makes it work. It would be nice if the switch specified operating levels. As it is, I don't know if "low gain" means it's providing low gain or adding gain to compensate for an input with low gain. If I had the mixer to play with it would only take a second to find out. There's also the option of using the TRS input of the main channel, which I suspect would be set up for +4 signal.

That preamp doesn't seem to have an output level control, which is too bad. That would make it easier to use like the gain and master controls on a guitar amp.

The key question is, where in the chain is the clipping occurring? Some of the suggestions above should clear that up. Start by putting the guitar straight into the mixer. Try the guitar input and the line input(s). Try the gain switch and volume controls in different positions. Then try adding the preamp back into the chain, starting with a lower gain setting. Etc., etc. Just good old fashioned troubleshooting.

Dave,
Remember, there are two ways you can do the MP3s, If you just upload it seems they present as an attachment. If you insert it you get the player, at least on my systems, under both Firefox and Chrome.

Inserted:
View attachment 115449
Insert? I just click on 'Attach files' as I have done for years and I get (by default) my desktop come up where I find the MP3 I want to attach. Never have and don't know how to 'insert' an MP3 file. I know the attach function has been 'streamlined' from what it was some time ago but, to ME it seems a simplification too far?

Dave.

Rob, the Portico Neve unit OP has is under a bag not 2&1/2 but I take your point and this is why I have been trying to get him to set it aside and concentrate on just the Yamaha mixer/interface.
I simply do not understand why Yamaha do not publish a useful specification. Are they ashamed of the box? Decent headroom levels (but not vast!) are not just the province of $1000+ equipment. I have a Behringer 1202 mixer that can handle +22dBu on its line inputs. Son's Soundcraft 8FX has, for the mic, line, hz, stereo inputs respectively the following maxima...+11dBu, +30dBu!, +17dBu and +22dBu. The 8FX is a mixer/AI of much the same stamp as the Yammy so good headroom CAN be done.

It seems the problem is just down to level and playing back OP's clip it was well above the -20dBFS average I am sure I mentioned a couple of days ago. Sometimes this is like drawing teeth.

Oh and...IF he wants to use the Neve it can be done by building a simple 'pot box' twixt it and the (it seems ) feeble Yamaha mixer.

Dave.

Here are the specs on the AG03: AG03 Technical Specs

It looks like in Line mode without the pad engaged, 0dB is .775v, and clipping is 9.8v, so 22dB of headroom. There's also a block diagram, Dave, if you want to go through the signal path.

Rob has a good point on the use of the Neve. Why plug a $1300 preamp in to a $160 mixer, especially for direct-in guitar work. The choices don't make a whole lot of sense, especially in light of the fact that though the rest of audio chain, any potential advantages would likely be dwarfed by the other components.

Here are the specs on the AG03: AG03 Technical Specs

It looks like in Line mode without the pad engaged, 0dB is .775v, and clipping is 9.8v, so 22dB of headroom. There's also a block diagram, Dave, if you want to go through the signal path.

Rob has a good point on the use of the Neve. Why plug a $1300 preamp in to a $160 mixer, especially for direct-in guitar work. The choices don't make a whole lot of sense, especially in light of the fact that though the rest of audio chain, any potential advantages would likely be dwarfed by the other components.
Impressive

Thanks again for all the replies. The Neve portico was a gift so I'd like to keep it, especially because of it's capabilities and sound. Im able to return the Yamaha interface if need be. I've been reading up on the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces. The 4i4 has two line inputs which bypass the internal preamps in the Scarlett. Perhaps that would be a better option to fully utilize the Neve.

Last edited:
The 4i4 or the Motu M4 would both be a better fit than the Yamaha. Both have dedicated line inputs, as well as good monitor I/O If possible, I would return the Yamaha and move to a good interface.

I second the 4i4 or MOTU M4. I have a 6i6 first gen at home, and I use older MOTU interfaces at my friend's studio. All work well.

Both interfaces have a maximum input to the fixed gain line ins of +18dBu, still below the max out of the Neve but typical or better than most AIs in that price range and with a bit of nonce either can cope with the pre amp if the OP wishes to go that way.
I had an M4 for a month and sent it to son as a 50th b'day prezzie. I am getting another one in March! I also have a gen1 6i6, not used it for years and the M4 knocks it into a cocked hat all ways from Christmas. No doubt the Gen 3 F'rites are better but operationally the M4 is hard to beat...and those GEEEorgeous meters!

The price differential only holds up as silly because the Yamaha is, by all we can deduce, not that good. The M4 cost more but still much less than the Neve, its performance however in terms of noise, converter quality, driver and latency are close to state of art. To be fair though Focusrite stuff ain't bad!

If the OP learned to solder he could level match the gear like a pro!

Dave.

When I couldn't solder I used to use block connectors to make them up with resistors - they would be really simple to knock up to pad the +4dB down a bit.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I tried a 4i4 with the Neve last night and it worked flawlessly. I used one of the dedicated line inputs in the back which bypasses the 4i4's preamp, so the Neve really shines. The only drawback of this is that I don't hear my direct signal in my headphones, just the playback from the DAW, which I can live with. I'll be returning the Yamaha.

I've been a musician (primarily guitar) for 25+ years but have never dabbled with recording even though I've always wanted to. This forum is like recording 101 for me, so I appreciate everyone's patience.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I tried a 4i4 with the Neve last night and it worked flawlessly. I used one of the dedicated line inputs in the back which bypasses the 4i4's preamp, so the Neve really shines. The only drawback of this is that I don't hear my direct signal in my headphones, just the playback from the DAW, which I can live with. I'll be returning the Yamaha.

I've been a musician (primarily guitar) for 25+ years but have never dabbled with recording even though I've always wanted to. This forum is like recording 101 for me, so I appreciate everyone's patience.
Check out the Mix Control software. In that you will be able to switch on direct monitoring of the 3/4 inputs. The software would however try the patience of a saint! Keep at it and it will work.

BTW, you would get NO such nonsense with an M4. Walk in the chuffin' park!

Dave.

Back