Who makes SX guitars

dave..... said:
wich les paul are you looking at ?? ..... the cherry sunburst i have looks/plays/sounds great ........ the case's they sell are pretty good to ..... mine took a beating last night after practice driving home ...... guitar was still in tune :cool:
I'm not sure, but it only had one tone and one volume knob, which controlled both pickups. That was a bit annoying, but I could probably live with it

sx

hmmm ........ both of mine have 2 vol and 2 tone knobs ... 3 way s/w ..... did you check out the rondo web site ??

dave..... said:
hmmm ........ both of mine have 2 vol and 2 tone knobs ... 3 way s/w ..... did you check out the rondo web site ??
Yeah I couldn't find it on there. The guy that's selling this one is pretty dodgy though. Who knows where he got it from

Tadpui said:
OK so they're not manufactured by Rondo, but if you want one in the U.S., you have to go through Rondo's website, buy it from Rondo via eBay, or buy it used.

Option C: I could drive 25 minutes down route 22 and buy one at the store.

wow, there are cheap

if i was gonna buy one it's be Agile AL-3000MAP CSB EMG $569.95(thats only 420euro :eek: )

raven46 said:
oh shit, not gud...

i had one years ago and it was stolen i loved it, it had a glued neck and was really nice to play with a great tone for a cheapish guitar(£500punt at the time was a lot of money)

i would buy another epi(but i dont need to i got a les paul custom :) ) or a fender tele (a friend got a tele i think it was a jap/korean from thomman for about 450euro and it was real sweet, now that was a cheap and great guitar, but i would go for the mex i think its making about 700euro or if i was lucky to get and american on ebay for 700 to 1000euro but thats down the road a bit yet though

Hey raven, 500 pounds Irish was a hell of a lot of money. Waltons in Dublin still sells a huge range of SX stuff; the shop don't set them up, though, so the demo models are usually unplayable.

If you're looking at Fender stuff, the Highway one series is good. They're 700 on Thomann, but MusicMaker in Dublin have a wide range of them if you want to try one before you buy. They charge 880-890, but they'll take just under 800 cash. Goodwins in Dublin has them on special at 650-700 sometimes.

Are there any good guitar shops in Limerick? A friend of mine got an emergency headstock repair done there once; he wasn't too happy with it.

32-20-Blues said:
Hey raven, 500 pounds Irish was a hell of a lot of money. Waltons in Dublin still sells a huge range of SX stuff; the shop don't set them up, though, so the demo models are usually unplayable.

If you're looking at Fender stuff, the Highway one series is good. They're 700 on Thomann, but MusicMaker in Dublin have a wide range of them if you want to try one before you buy. They charge 880-890, but they'll take just under 800 cash. Goodwins in Dublin has them on special at 650-700 sometimes.

Are there any good guitar shops in Limerick? A friend of mine got an emergency headstock repair done there once; he wasn't too happy with it.

there is one good shop in limerick "steam boat music" the rest are average and is one really crap i just posted about it in zaps thread about the birthday prezzy

the tele i was lookin at is the FENDER DELUXE NASHVILLE 611euro
i dont get up to dublin much these days there too expensive i buy most of my gear online

raven46 said:
there is one good shop in limerick "steam boat music" the rest are average and is one really crap i just posted about it in zaps thread about the birthday prezzy

the tele i was lookin at is the FENDER DELUXE NASHVILLE 611euro
i dont get up to dublin much these days there too expensive i buy most of my gear online

Sweet looking guitar. Good price too. Go for it, thomann is a lifesaver.

These guitars are very quality pieces for the price. I just picked up an SX Deimos Les Paul body, left handed. Its the trans black/walnut color with EMG Humbuckers in it. This guitar sounds better than some 600, 800, even 1000 dollar guitars do. It's also made very well. Just because a price is low, doesn't mean the quality will follow. Some people aren't in it for greed. This guitar is going to be playing its first show Wednesday, too. Epic...

Their Teles are better than the newer Squires, and for sure better than the MIM Teles. Pick-ups are way weak weak weak,turners stay put,finish is really good,I don't see how they do it. I can't build one one what they get for them.:laughings:

I prefer Guitar Fetish gits ...... cheap and VERY well made for the price.
I have a couple for bang around guitars and I often grab them instead of my more expensive stuff 'cause they play and sound about as good.

Hey Lt
I hear ya about GF, you take an SX guitar,pick up some GFS pickups from them and you got an inexpensive axe that will sing.

Rondo music, owned by Kurt, is an internet source for SX,Agile and Douglas guitars. Yes, SX and Douglas guitars are made by the parent company... Team instruments international out of China. I know Kurt and have bought countless instruments from him over many years. Agile guitars are made in South Korea. Different factory and the quality control is a bit better than Team Int.

Now Douglas and SX guitars are of about equal quality out of the box. Both of these brands can be upgraded with aftermarket parts or Fender and Gibson parts very easily. Let's say you bought an Agile Les Paul copy with a set neck ( Agile AL-2000 Tobacco Flame Wide - RondoMusic.com ) initial cost 225.00 .
For the most part if you replace the plastic nut with a real bone one ( low cost mod) and say GFS pickups ( another low cost mod) real 500K CTS pots (low cost again) and a good set of Gotoh 510 tuners( first real money investment,but worth every cent) you will have invested approximately 190.00. Add that to the original cost of 225.00 and you would have a Les Paul "copy" that can stand with most "real" LP's for a total of 415.00. If your a working player and you want a tool that will get the job done nicely for 1/10th the cost of a high end Les Paul, then the Agile 2000 series is your answer. This can also be done with some of the set neck SX models as well for even less money.

A perfect example of real good SX quality is the SX EG6 (Gibson 335 copy) only with a nicer set of visual appointments. Add a good set of Alnico pickups, pots, bone nut and a good set of tuners and I can ashure you, you will have a great guitar for less than 500.00 that will perform as good as about any guitar out there.

Yes , some of the SX and Douglas instruments do come through with quality control issues, BUT, if you contact Kurt with an issue, he will make it right for you, no doubt. This I can guarrentee you. NO I do not work for him or SX,Douglas or Agile.

Remember it's way more about the talent, ears and hands of the player than the tool that he is using. A great player can make almost any guitar sound good. Put an slightly modified SX EG6 in the hands of really good talented player and watch and listen to how great that SX sounds.

Of course high end Gibsons and Fenders and PRS guitars are really fine instruments and investments, but that doesn't mean because you don't have 2-5 thousand to spend you can't get a really good guitar for way less.

Last edited:
While this thread is old, I have owned a agile 8 string and currently own a 5 string SX J as well as an american J 4 string.

They are solid instruments, with sub par hardware. But in terms of instruments I would prefer a solid piece of wood over pressboard, even if the hardware lacks.

I know it's late to be posting to the thread but I just received an Ash SX Furrian and am enjoying it very much. As stated earlier and elsewhere the pickups are really the only drawback that I can see and possibly not much of a drawback at all. The particular model I received played very nicely with the .009's it came strung with and the set up seems pretty good although I haven't checked intonation yet.

You can hardly go wrong for $160 to your door.

I'm planning on some good pickups to replace these and more than likely tune it in open E and slide for home. *35 year player

DSC07984.JPG

Back