white powder coming out of guitar

random.hero

i was changing the strings on my guitar, then noticed white powder was coming out of the holes when i pulled the strings out (sry im retarded. im primarily a drummer, but guitar is fun too)
just curious guys, what is it and where did it come from?

Last edited:
random.hero said:
i was changing the strings on my guitar, then noticed white powder was coming out of the holes when i pulled the strings out (sry im retarded. im primarily a drummer, but guitar is fun too)

Is it an acoustic guitar? If so it could be sawdust never cleaned out properly.
Without knowing what holes you are talking about, it could also be polish never cleaned out of the machine head posts.

Where are the holes you are talking about??

Did you happen to buy this guitar for VERY cheap from an edgy, paranoid fellow?

If so, you might want to open up the guitar and inspect the internals for suspicious articles, eg: plastic baggies, condoms, or other containers.

I have an Epiphone LP Junior that I swapped the humbucker with a Soapbar and had to route the cavity. It was made of a white composite material similar to a surfboard resin.

Not wood, swear.

It could be polishing compound from the factory when the guitar was made. I've seen that inside the cavity of some guitars when working on them.

I bet the rat is right. Polishing/buffing compound. I've had it in virtually every shitty guitar I ever took apart, which is every guitar I ever owned. :)

ez_willis said:
I have an Epiphone LP Junior that I swapped the humbucker with a Soapbar and had to route the cavity. It was made of a white composite material similar to a surfboard resin.

Not wood, swear.

I have the same guitar. :o

And you're right, it isn't made out of wood, it's like metal or something.

Not a bad guitar though for a first guitar, sounds decent to me. Wish there were 2 pickups though. And yea, wood. That's pretty important.

Funny story, one day back in college this dude we knew and were pretty sure was on all sorts of drugs barged into my room tweaked out of his mind wanting to sell me his Epiphone Special Model for $80. That's only about $1.75 less then Sam Goody was selling it for, but he fixed it up so it actually played and sounded pretty good!

thanks guys, sry i didnt give a lot of info...

squire( :( ) telecaster custom II
and im talking about the holes in the back where u put the strings through (sry im not too guitar savvy at this point)

but it sounds like its nothing to be worried about, so thanks everyone for being so helpful

random.hero said:

and im talking about the holes in the back where u put the strings through (sry im not too guitar savvy at this point)

but it sounds like its nothing to be worried about, so thanks everyone for being so helpful

if it's of any comfort to you, i had a MIA tele which had exactly the same!!!

How old were the strings? Do you live in a humid area? It could have been corrosion from the strings themselves...

random.hero said:

It sounds as if you are saying the strings go through the body of the Tele. Sounds like the wood around the string ferrules is coming apart for some reason..is the body plywood or something even stranger. And were the metal ferrules loose when you inserted the string into them?

ez_willis said:

Not wood, swear.

EZ, I saw that post and warned someone about that guitar's body material, he bought it anyway, I think he was gonna upgrade to a P90.....he'll find out~

random.hero said:

i think your guitar has a drug problem that it's not telling you about. watch out for any blood trickling out of the input jack. then you'll know for sure.

random.hero said:

I think it's just polish residue, when I first started playing my brothers Fender Strat I took off the little plastic plate on the back to see if anything was corroded. There was little white powder residue caked into the corners. I'm guessing that somehow some polish got into the bridge area, probably before the bridge was put on. It'll probably come out every time you change strings, at least for a while. I'm assuming this is a new guitar, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Back