Which One?

muzeman

Hi All,

I know I havn't been around much,but I have a favor to ask.

I'm submitting this song for the comp cd.
I did the master two different ways,and can't decide which sounds better!

If anybody has a minute to listen and tell me what they think,I'd really appreciate it.
Any suggestions on eq or compression would be great too.
I only have the finished stereo track to work with though.

First two songs-

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1317&alid=-1

Thanks,
Pete

I listened good song I liked the nice laid back style. The main thing I noticed was the difference in the panning of the vox. In the first they're more center, while in v2 you split them?

Just one thing I noticed, there's a piano note that sounds out at 3:10. It rolled through kind of quickly so I dunno if it was intended or not.

Nice song.

It sounds purty darn good to me. I liked version 1 the best. The mix seemed more cohesive to me on that one. Something just seemed kind of strange sounding on the second one. Maybe it was the vocal not being dead center.

Toms sound like they need to come up a bit to me and the cymbals maybe down a bit (if possible). Love the harp!

Nice job.

Hey Pete,
....IMO definitely the first mix (comp 1) not only due to the panning issue but 'cause the vocs have a harsher edge on 2 that kinda grated a bit. The first mix is nice and smooth....... Love this tune man. .....definitely a great one for the comp cd.

Nice work man. gw/5 ......Ive always dug this tune

Well,Im gonna break the chain and say that #2 sounds best to me.LOL!
The volume levels of everything in Version 2 seem more cohesive and locked together from start to finish just like a CD mix should be.

Just my opinion Pete........you asked for it.:D

Mix 2 has that 'anal' out-of-phase sound. On headphones it kinda makes me sick in the stomach (it's just the mix, not your music Pete! :) )

So I go for Mix 1

I'll live in the minority and give my vote for number two (move over and make room for me Kramer). It has a fuller vocal sound in my opinion. I guess the caveat it that I'm listening on headphones. Although it's tough to tell on headphones, it sounds like there's a little more definition on the kick and bass to the second version.

Both of them has a little crackle at :21. If you can get rid of that before submitting, I'd try.

I really like the song as well. I was just in the mood for a song like that this morning. I enjoyed it.

I hope it's on the disk. Trip...

I'll vote for #1

Both versions are high quality!
You can't go wrong with either one.

Nice tune Pete!

Joel

My deaf ears liked #2. it had a fuller sound and the drums sounded better than the muffled sound in ver 1. perhaps use # 2 and tame the vocal separation a bit.
great job on both
reminds me of a soundtrack for one of those early 70's movies:D :D

Peace
Bill

hey Pete, I'll listen through the monitors since I'm curious to see who I'll agree with.. :D

I'll be back shortly..

Now I'm really confused!:D

Thanks very much guys for taking the time to listen,I really appreciate it!

Pedullist nailed it,on the second one I reversed the phase on one of the stereo tracks,an old trick to widen the stereo field.
I don't have any mastering software,so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I kind of liked the second one myself,but I'm going to go with the concensus,#2.
Don't want to make anyone seasick!:D

You guys rule!

Thanks,
Pete

BTW-Buffalo Bob,I'm truly sorry you don't like the first verse,I thought it was wonderfully written,and is the core of the song.
Without it,this song wouldn't have happened!
I just hope the fella who wrote it dosn't see this thread.
You'll be on his ignore list forever!:D

Hey sam,we posted at the same time!
I'd still like to know what you think.
I might try doing this on something else.

Pete

for me it was #1 all the way.. without a doubt.. like night and day..

I kept wanting #2 to come back into phase.. It would almost be a good effect to start with the hollow sound and then bring it back into phase.. I didn't like the out of phase one at all.. there are some mix issues but you said your stuck with this mix so I won't get into them.. nice piano! I don't remember that on the previous version.. Your killing me with those cymbals and that reverb on the drums! :D Please don't use the phased one!! :D Good tune and addition to the comp Cd!

Pete -

I'm sorry! I've made a terrible mistake! We were listening to some MP3s and I thought another song was yours, and THAT was the song I was talking about!
This song, "Bethsaida" is a gem! I specially loved the first verse - it it truly inspired- bordering on genius! It's good to know that there are still some great lyricists around.
Sorry for the misunderstanding- this is a great song!

Bob

i remember the song pete...it's a good one..........if i had to pick one, i'd say #1, but i feel as if both are pretty similar.......both sound good, go with whichever one does it for you.......

Back