Which one is the best soundcard?

Jose_Man

Hey guys, I'm starting a new band and we are making all of our demos in my laptop.

I just wanted to know which one is the best externl soundcar out there.

I checked out one in SamAsh, the Audiophile USB Audio...It looks good but I need your oppinios too. ( It looks very simple to me)...I mean I need somthing simple, but I dont know if it gonna be a good investment or not. So if you know anything about it, plz oppy about it.

The other one I cheked out was the (Kreative AUdigy 2 Platinum eX) it looks amazing! but I dont know if its gonna be to much for me... I know shit about Technincal aspects of Recording and soundcards. I just plaug my mic to the computer and Start recording.

Well Let me tell you that what I've been doing is recording all the tracks (guitars/vocals/bass and drums) through my 1/8" mic input on my laptop....but the sound quality is soooooo bad that i don't like to listen to my songs more than twice.

I guess if I get a soundcard specially for recroding it would be better right?...i need something Good and simple though.

So any comments are greatfully appreciated...thanx.

Peace
Jose

I would take the audiophile any day over creative. I used the AP2496 PCI for a while and it was an excellent card, so I would imagine the USB will be just as well. The Audiophile has earned a good reputation for reliability. Or at least in my case it did. It will certainly be a better choice than the soundblaster stuff.

this is a fun one

Midiman who also makes the delta and I think audiophile cards, lies like hell to their paid customers, has some bizzarro hardware problems that a radio shack employee could have figured out, and from all appearances, doesnt have a programmer on staff.

Echo, used to let the microsoft sound control panel actually control SPDIF volume and panning! Used to take forever on updates and for all appearances didnt have a programmer on staff...could be different now

RME makes some pretty awesome stuff, but their tech support is comrised of " it is your softwares fault" and is arrogant and IGNORANT at the same time

Frontier, nice guys FAST tech support but cant do today's double wire stuff

Aardvark, VERY nice tech support, yet takes years on updates, dont appear to have a programmer on staff

Soundscape, the be all end all of stable soundcards, got bought by mackie, hasnt had an update since ( I dont think) still has a multicard asio problem, but probably the best tech support in the bizz

Lynxx, nothing bad to say here except maybe expensive and the I/O configs might not be applicable to many many situations

Creative labs? ugh

pipelineaudio said:

Lynxx, nothing bad to say here except maybe expensive and the I/O configs might not be applicable to many many situations

Got one a couple months ago........Excellent card, excellent support....so far

pipelineaudio said:
this is a fun one

Midiman who also makes the delta and I think audiophile cards, lies like hell to their paid customers, has some bizzarro hardware problems that a radio shack employee could have figured out, and from all appearances, doesnt have a programmer on staff.

Echo, used to let the microsoft sound control panel actually control SPDIF volume and panning! Used to take forever on updates and for all appearances didnt have a programmer on staff...could be different now

RME makes some pretty awesome stuff, but their tech support is comrised of " it is your softwares fault" and is arrogant and IGNORANT at the same time

Frontier, nice guys FAST tech support but cant do today's double wire stuff

Aardvark, VERY nice tech support, yet takes years on updates, dont appear to have a programmer on staff

Soundscape, the be all end all of stable soundcards, got bought by mackie, hasnt had an update since ( I dont think) still has a multicard asio problem, but probably the best tech support in the bizz

Creative labs? ugh

What do you use?

RME, but it sure has its problems!

I got 2 HDSP 9652's right now and before that, the Digi 9652's

Ive owned one of everything of these soundcards, including hoontech and such, the best luck I ever had was Soundscape Mixtremel, but configuration isnt right for what I need to do...same as the Lynx, but the Lynx cards are ungodly nice!

I've heard good things about RMEs converters. Do they live up to their reputation? How do they stack up against the Lynx?

theres aREALLY nice graph..Im trying to find the link to it...its kinda 6 of one half a dozen of the other...even at 96 k the RME lopass filter is a little more intrusive than the lynx, and the DC blocking may be too agressive ( read that as a SLIGHT bit down at the top and bottom ) and the lynx is one and a half iota's noiser and some times more distorted than the RME, but for the lynx's price, those converters are a steal

Back