Which new hard drive for recording??

lttoler

Over the last few years I have filled up my 250 gig hard drive that came with my Dell. I am looking to get another drive and someone on another forum suggested getting a Solid State drive. Can anyone comment on this and direct me to a specific brand/model?

Thanks in advance!

Basically, a solid state drive is able to retrieve data much faster than a hard drive, but they are still a bit expensive. Some good brands are Seagate and OCZ.
Whether you will get the full benefits of having a solid state drive depends on what you are planning on doing.

Are you going to rebuild your computer? (reinstall the Operating system and all that jazz). If so, then I would recommend you install the operating system in the solid state drive because that will make your computer run a LOT faster (windows boots in about 15 to 20 seconds from the moment you push the power button to the point where it goes idle and waiting for you to use it) and your programs will respond faster.

If you are NOT going to rebuild your computer and you are just going to add a drive, then I don't think you will get the full benefits of a SSD. Your files will be retrieved a bit faster but it won't be a huge improvement from a hard drive.

As far as recording, I don't know a whole lot about it but I do work as an IT professional.

Good luck!

Solid State Drives are AMAZING. They'll typically increase your speed by four/five-fold. Your boot times will blow you away, and all your programs will start faster, and you'll never need/want to defrag the drive again.

That being said... They're expensive. Most hard drives are $0.10 a GB, SSDs are closer to $1 per GB. Expect to pay $500 for a 512GB Solid State Drive, $250 for a 256 GB, etc.

Honestly, I think they're worth it. I got a 128GB model awhile back, and I'm looking at going up from that to the 512. I'd suggest the Samsung 840 series, personally. Very good drives, and they've got a lot of great reviews on newegg.

As above, you'd be best off using an SSD as your main boot and programs drive. Due to their price per GB, I don't think it will solve your storage problems. You would probably be better off with a 7,200 RPM 2, 3 or 4TB mechanical drive. Or, ideally, a small SSD (you can get away with 64GB if you only have Windows and programs on there) along with a large HDD.

Otherwise, you should look at archiving stuff from your current drive.

As above, you'd be best off using an SSD as your main boot and programs drive. Due to their price per GB, I don't think it will solve your storage problems. You would probably be better off with a 7,200 RPM 2, 3 or 4TB mechanical drive. Or, ideally, a small SSD (you can get away with 64GB if you only have Windows and programs on there) along with a large HDD.

Otherwise, you should look at archiving stuff from your current drive.

I agree with that.
If you're thinking SSD, think of putting it in as the boot drive.
If you work with big sample libraries or massive amounts of audio then an SSD maybe useful as a second drive, but for plain old storage just get a big ass spinning disc.

thanks for all the advice! Thats originally what I had planned to do. Buy a small SSD for my main drive and get a bigger hard disk for storage. Can anyone suggest me a good hard disk drive for a good price for storage?

I have much love for Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives. I believe the Seagate Barracudas and the Western Digital Blacks are on a similar level.
I have 3 Spinpoints in my machine, and none of them have had any problems in over 2 years of using them. =]

+1 for Samsung. I use two 2TB HDDs from them that I've had no trouble with. Last time I researched, they had pretty much the best disks available. WD have something of a rep for breaking easily, IIRC - do your own research and YMMV, etc. Also, I think Samsung offered a longer warranty than the other major manufacturers.

Back