which new compressor

I used to own an ACP88...and because I had/have other comps, I only used one of its channel, mostly for bass guitar.
It was "OK"...but not much more than that IMO....so I sold it on eBay.

Don't be swayed by the fact that you're getting *8 channels* of compression....'cuz 8 channels of "meh"...ins't going to be very exciting, and you'll be looking for other comps in no time, and like me, you might end up using only 1-2 channels of the ACP88.

Mediocre compression isn't anything worth having many channels of. Get a better 2-channel...then later ad another one...etc.

True Miro ..... I've use it on bass a lot and when it comes to drums you have to adjust per song But you would on most any comp.

I guess if GAS holds onto James he could end up with a multitude of high end comps. - hey happen to me but I use absolutely all of them within a three week period live and in the studio.

Guess the big response question when someone ask about equipment here at HR is HOW SERIOUS they are and how long they plan to keep up Home recording - Very interested and in it for the long run then yes go for a piece of gear that will take you into the next decade or if they are just wanting to do a few projects to try out recording then a medium grade piece of gear is fine.

Just that friends don't let friends purchase USB microphones. :D

Guess the big response question when someone ask about equipment here at HR is HOW SERIOUS they are and how long they plan to keep up Home recording...

Yeah...that's the question.
I just go with the assumption that people are at least attempting to get serious. Worst case if they aren't...they end up with really decent gear that they can unload for a decent price instead of mediocre stuff no one really wants except other people who aren't too serious. :D

What's a USB microphone?
;)

True Miro ..... I've use it on bass a lot and when it comes to drums you have to adjust per song But you would on most any comp.

I guess if GAS holds onto James he could end up with a multitude of high end comps. - hey happen to me but I use absolutely all of them within a three week period live and in the studio.

Guess the big response question when someone ask about equipment here at HR is HOW SERIOUS they are and how long they plan to keep up Home recording - Very interested and in it for the long run then yes go for a piece of gear that will take you into the next decade or if they are just wanting to do a few projects to try out recording then a medium grade piece of gear is fine.

Just that friends don't let friends purchase USB microphones. :D

I haven't got any doubts about keeping up recording. I've been into it for about ten years now and I've never become uninterested with it, I've only ever got more and more into it. I don't think I'll ever stop having GAS either haha.

I didn't end up getting the presonus this morning. I put my alarm on snooze then overslept and missed the auction. I'm now thinking that maybe I should go down the individual compressor route as I was originally thinking. The idea of having eight clean compressors was very attractive to me but having a variety of compressors with different characters is appealing too, probably more so.

I'm quite interested in getting the ART VLA first now to use on vocals and bass then I'll add something else a bit later. Ah, I wish choosing gear wasn't so complicated.

I used to own an ACP88...and because I had/have other comps, I only used one of its channel, mostly for bass guitar.
It was "OK"...but not much more than that IMO....so I sold it on eBay.

Don't be swayed by the fact that you're getting *8 channels* of compression....'cuz 8 channels of "meh"...ins't going to be very exciting, and you'll be looking for other comps in no time, and like me, you might end up using only 1-2 channels of the ACP88.

Mediocre compression isn't anything worth having many channels of. Get a better 2-channel...then later ad another one...etc.

I'm thinking along those lines now. Do you think the ART VLA would be a good one to go for?

Cheers
James

I have a pair of the original ART VLA comps....they get used most often during tracking over my other comps, I just like how easily they work with most everything during tracking. Guitars mostly, but also other instruments...though almost never vocals, but as always, you try it and see if you like how it sounds, there are no rules what/when you can use them.
During mixdown, I tend to use my other comps, though occasionally I'll also use the VLA if I need more comps.

If you get the latest models, they are now using 12AT7 tubes, which are lower gain and will yield a cleaner/more headroom signal...but you can always toss in 12AX7 tubes for more grind. Mine have 12AX7 tubes, which is why I tend to use them for tracking, when I want a little "hair" on the signal, to fatten/round it out. They just work nicely for me when recording to tape...they marry up nicely with my tape deck. Very plug-n-play.

If you buy older/used ones...it's good to open them up, calibrate the levels and meters (there are some internal pots for that), and throw some decent tubes in. They are decent comps for the cost.

People quite often tell me that they want a recording set-up and ask what I would recommend. It's always a massive and often futile job trying to explain to them that there is analogue equipment involved in digital recording.

'nah, I need to get a digital mic' or digital speakers/headphones/guitar lead/[insert necessary analogue component here].

Some of the stuff I've heard people say is just incredible. Like when I offer to lend equipment and they inform me that my mic/ preamp/ monitors won't work because I record in analogue and they need a digital one. It's hard to explain that that's just not true.

Someone once said to me that they recorded in digital because they wanted to use panning, EQ, stereo and reverb/effects and all that other stuff that you can't do in analogue. It's funny how some people think the world went straight from wax cylinders to ProTools HD. "Nah, analogue sounds old" "erm, okay..."

Well, very broad question in deed especially since no compressor is the silver bullet (the 1176 is close :D ). I have all of the compressors you are looking at and given those choices, I'd go with the VLA II (get it modified and you got a real gem). I like it on Bass, drums, and on vocals it's got a poor man's LA2 vibe. The dbx 166 I don't like so much but is it usable.

If you are looking for a compressor to crush drums (overheads/buss) look at getting something form symetrix (522 will squash the snot out of just about anything); you can get them cheap on e-bay. One other recommendation (if you can find one) is a JBL7110. It's mono but if you can get your hands on one, you will not regret it.

Well that's the one that you were looking at in the first place.

Are you going to do a mod on it? The tubes are real easy to get to and replace.
There is a guy here at HR that sells his NOS tubes in the for sale forum ..... check it out HERE. ;)

Right,
I've tried out the Pro VLA now and so far, I am very impressed :) It sounds really nice on vocals and really adds punch to snare and bass drum. I haven't tried it on anything else yet but I love how it sounds at the moment. The only problem is that I now want another one!

Right,
I've tried out the Pro VLA now and so far, I am very impressed :) It sounds really nice on vocals and really adds punch to snare and bass drum. I haven't tried it on anything else yet but I love how it sounds at the moment. The only problem is that I now want another one!

Any equipment worth having is worth having two of.

What are the tubes in your VLA James?

Back