Which Martin?

punkin

Univalve & Avatar Speaks
I'm looking at adding another acoustic to my collection. I'm looking at the following four as I can get any of them in about the same price range (+ or -). One of the choices is an acoustic/electric but this isn't really needed. Just thought it might be nice to have...it's also a cut-away. I've only played a couple in my list...the others I would have to order just to take a test drive.

Which of the following would you consider "best" for over-all acoustic recording work. Styles of play from easy listening/folk, light rock and a little classical. I really like the "Martin" sound with a little shimmer to it if you know what I mean.

Martin DCX-1E (this is the acoustic/electric)
Martin DX1 (I've played this...a rather sweet guitar for the price)
Martin DXK2 (unusual looking wood type "Koa"?)
Martin 000X1 (this one bothers me...some HPL construction but sounded nice)

Looking for anyone with first hand info on these and PLEASE...don't suggest that I shell out a "few extra bucks" for some of the more famous models. I'm simply not gonna do it.

Thanks,
punkin

Avoid any Martin with an X in it. They have the Formica body parts (usually tops, backs, and sides), and they sound like they are strung up with rubber bands. They SUCK, badly. None of the X guitars have the Martin sound.

If you are looking for an inexpensive Acoustic, don't limit yourself to a Martin. Try them all, and see which one you like and can afford. If you really feel the need for a Martin, I would advise you to at the very least go for a 15-style guitar. A D-15 or an OOO-15. They are all solid mahogany guitars (including the tops, which always sound cool to me). They are, without question, the best value in the Martin line. I would not suggest going much lower in their line than that.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I played some of the Martin X guitars at GC, and didn't like them that much. I forgot which X models I played. Some of the Takamine's in that price range sounded better to me though.

I agree with Light, the D15's are excellent. I particularly like the spruce top version as opposed to the mahogany top one. Unfortunately they go for $699 now, they used to be a bit cheaper a while back, so it's a little out of your price range. Funny thing is I like my D15 more than my HD28, so go figure.

Good luck with your search.

I love the sound of my Martin HD-28V. I changed the nut,saddle and pins to bone. I had a Fishman installed under the saddle. I gig and record with this guitar.
Great feel and sound. Not too Bright and not too boo-my, just right. Good luck. If you interested in a Martin, I know of a dealer close to the Martin plant in PA who gives the best deals.

I've gotta agree with Light on this. The X series are not solid wood guitars, so they don't sound like a good Martin. The 15 series are definitely the best deal in the Martin line. If you want a little brighter sound go with the OOO with the cutaway, less boomy and better access to the higher frets. I bought a new Martin SPOOO16CR 6(?) years ago, and am still so amazed at how beautiful it sounds and records, that I haven't even looked for another 6 string acoustic. (Still looking for the right 12 string, and nylon string though ;) :eek: )

OK...you guys have beat me up pretty badly over this. I have had a chance to play only a couple of the DX models. For the price for a "nice" daily player, and being less prone to humidity changes which can be pretty dramatic here in, the I've got to say they don't sound bad. The DX models are still nice guitars. BUT, since you guys have been so insistent (I said I wouldn't do this), I'll reconsider looking at some of the all-wood construction guitars. Remember, I'm not looking for a concert axe just a nice sounding player. I was hoping to extract a comparison of some of the DX models which I can't seem to get my hands on easily.

BTW...I already have a "keeper", a Tacoma Koa Kahuna which has a nice "round sound" to it...and just a little sparkle. I took it on a road trip a few months ago and when I opened the case up, a couple hours later, one of the internal braces where popped loose. The factory/repair folks suspect the extreme humidity change from the Pac NW to Denver. I've been told that the DX series Martins are much less sensitive due to the "stabilized" materials used in their necks and some body parts.

Thanks again all.

punkin said:
I've been told that the DX series Martins are much less sensitive due to the "stabilized" materials used in their necks and some body parts.

Thanks again all.

There not. I have seen an unbelievable number of these things with god awful humidity problems. Sure, the top is not wood, but the braces are, and they are really light (the only way to make those things sound like anything), so they MOVE. A lot. The worst salad bowl (sunken) tops I have seen have been on X guitars.

The necks are pretty stable, aside from being really ugly.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

In defense of the X

The Cowboy X guitar is very nice IMO. It has a very unique sound. I would not take it as my main guitar, but as a third or fourth, I would. It had a very good sound for simple old campfire strumming with the hand. Slow strumming I found worked the best. Its probably a one trick pony, but I found it to be nice.

Well...good and bad...

It will make most of you happy

I played a D15 at the GC today...holiday rush was over and I was there when they opened. Got some quiet time in the acoustic room. I have to agree that the D15 series does sound a bit better...a little fuller to my ear and, a better buy as well. The "X" models don't include a case where as the all-wood units do. I would have shelled out another $75-$100 for a poly/hard case. In the end, only about 50 dollar difference from my original budget.

The demo had a few blems on it so I asked for a "clean one". Running a little late so I looked over the fresh axe...plucked a few notes and went out the door with it. This afternoon, I sat down to enjoy my new geet. Sounding sweet, nice action but, there's a bit of a buzz...looked down the neck and noticed that there was just a little too much relief. Not new to the truss rod adjust, I went at it...the nut is stuck tight...I mean tight both ways.

I'm looking at a return/exchange tomorrow. A little bummed out but I'm sure in the end I've made a good choice. Thanks for all your input...good advice from all.

sjl

Good choice Punkin. Just in case you didn't know, there is also a spruce top version of the D15 available from MF for $699, and it sounds fantastic. It's like a D28 without the high gloss finish.

aspirin said:
Good choice Punkin. Just in case you didn't know, there is also a spruce top version of the D15 available from MF for $699, and it sounds fantastic. It's like a D28 without the high gloss finish.

More like a D 18 (mahogany back and sides), but not even like that as the bracing is much lighter (too light, in my opinion) on the D 15.

I actually really like the mahogany top, as it tends to sound better up front than a spruce top, though quite different. With spruce, it really takes some time for the guitar to open up, which is not the case with mahogany.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

aspirin said:

Thanks Asprin...in fact that's the model I took. I'm hoping they have another when I return this one. Too bad about the truss rod, I was really likin' it.

sjl

Well, my saga comes to an end...happily I might add. I got my new D15 home safe and sound having no regrets. I'm convinced that I've made the best purchase possible.

I was able to make yet another sound comparison in private today while waiting for my transactions to complete. The "X" models I think are still a very nice instrument...the DX1 probobly the best bargain of the "X" series. But when you sit down and play the "X" vs. the D15, the bottom end is where the D15 really shines. The instrument project much clearer as well. When you get into the more expensive "X" series I think the bang for the buck aspect diminishes quickly.

Thanks to you guys pushing me away from the "X" models. I'm waiting for the "I told ya' so's". :rolleyes: Oh, BTW...someone suggested I try a Taylor 110...didn't have it. I kicked the tires on a Takamine (an EG530 I think)...no comparison...sounded to brittle for my taste.

Happy New Year!

sjl

Browsing through and seen some X series bashing. In case some one reads this thread trying to decide if an X series guitar is worth buying. I have played the DX1 on several occassions and would have to say that I thought it sounded and played very good for a $500 guitar. Every time I go into the local music stores I always check out the various acoustic guitars. I checked out Martins website and talked to a local shop owner about the construction of the DX1's. The top is solid spruce. The sides and back are High Pressure Laminate. There are 3 versions of the DX1 which are the DX1, DX1R, and DX1K. The only difference in them is color of the sides and back. R for rosewood and K for Koa. It has no cosmetics. This guitar ain't no beauty queen but its a good playing, good sounding guitar for $500 bucks and I think it would serve anyone well on a budget. The fretwork is nice, it has a tusq saddle and a ebony fingerboard. It may not sound like a "real" Martin but to my ears it has a balanced pleasant sound. Matter o fact I'm getting one online, DX1R new and shipped for $430. This guitar is far above any cheap guitar I have played in sound and playability. I saw the bashing and just could'nt figure out why. Hope this helps someone out looking for a low priced guitar. :)

Instead of spending the money on a bottom line inexpensively made guitar w/ the Martin name. I suggest looking at a used higher end Yamaha student guitar for a third of the cash. Most of em are players, sond great and theyre are millions of em out there. Way underated as they arent considered collectors items,

I'm in complete agreement with you on this Travis. I still think the DX guitars are a good sounding and nice playing guitar. I think there are a few hardcore, high-end product slaves in this forum which won't hear that arguement. Even after I committed to the "all-wood" product, I'm getting the "you still don't have the real Martin sound" arguement becuase I didn't spend enough. I already spent my fortune on my ideal acoustic guitar.

I played the X guitars and probobly would have been very happy with it. I'm still thinking the stability of their necks and composite materials make them a great traveling work horse as well. I jumped back a bit to consider some of the suggestions and in my case I found it to be a better buy to get the all wood which came with a nice fitting hard case. The tonal difference is real but slight.

Back