Which condenser for Fostex multitracker?

And, yes the one you saw is more expensive than the four you cited originally. But, it's also multi-pattern; whereas they aren't.

Re: Interesting

glynb said:
Thanks Mark7. Checked out the site and looks interesting.

Wonder how it compares with the rest?

Here are the technical specs if anyone is interested...

Self Noise: 14dBA Comes with shock mount and case.

The self noise spec is one I look at. 14dba is very good. I wonder of the single pattern version is similar? Coming with a shock mount is good, because you reallywill need one. You will also need a pop-shield (for popping p's).

Because I know the Studio Projects B1, I'd go with that, (12dba selk noise) but I believe some RedStar mics have gotten good reviews... Check out the archives for Sound-on-Sound and Future Music magazines...

Lastly, any condensor you get will pick up EVERYTHING -- including the hard-drive whirring noise on your VF160. The 160 is a very quiet machine, but the mic will pick it up 20 feet away, along with every other little sound. I built a PVC frame covered with heavy mover's blankets to make a sound deadening booth. Works like a charm.

Also, don't leave your condensor out all the time. Put it away (mine are in glass jars) with gel packs. These can be very sensitive to dust and moisture.

Re: Re: Interesting

billisa said:
The self noise spec is one I look at. 14dba is very good. I wonder of the single pattern version is similar?

The cheaper version (single pattern?) is 16dba, so that's worse right?

Coming with a shock mount is good, because you reallywill need one. You will also need a pop-shield (for popping p's).

[/B]

Is the shock mount to prevent noise vibration spoiling the recordings, or just to prevent damage to the mic?

Lastly, any condensor you get will pick up EVERYTHING -- including the hard-drive whirring noise on your VF160. The 160 is a very quiet machine, but the mic will pick it up 20 feet away, along with every other little sound.

[/B]

Hmmm, this is bad news and something I hadn't thought of. The fostex hard drive is slightly noisy, but the big problem is my compressor which makes aloud humming sound, very noticeable. The current sm58 mic doesn't pick up any of this, because I have to mic up real close which masks out any extraneous noise. Ah well, I'll just have to learn new techniques to get round the problem, maybe encase the compressor in a box or something!

Also, don't leave your condensor out all the time. Put it away (mine are in glass jars) with gel packs. These can be very sensitive to dust and moisture. [/B]

So that's why they go on about having a free case with it and so on, i wondered what the big deal was there!

Re: Hmmm...all made in China?

glynb said:
Someone elsewhere has implied that all these cheepo condense mics are all made in the same '747(?)'factory in China, and implied that that was a bad thing.

What is it with this story, anything in it?
It's a long story... but yeah, the cheepo condenser mic's are made in China.

Re: Re: Re: Interesting

glynb said:
The cheaper version (single pattern?) is 16dba, so that's worse right?

Is the shock mount to prevent noise vibration spoiling the recordings, or just to prevent damage to the mic?

Hmmm, this is bad news and something I hadn't thought of. The fostex hard drive is slightly noisy, but the big problem is my compressor which makes aloud humming sound, very noticeable. The current sm58 mic doesn't pick up any of this, because I have to mic up real close which masks out any extraneous noise. Ah well, I'll just have to learn new techniques to get round the problem, maybe encase the compressor in a box or something!

So that's why they go on about having a free case with it and so on, i wondered what the big deal was there!

Yes 16dba is worse, but not bad at all.

The shock mount prevents thumping noises from going straight up through the stand, into the mic...

Yes, the VF160 HD is slightly noisy and WILL get picked up by the mic, although it will be drowned out by the compressor hum! If you really want a clean sound, you'll need to dampen the noise, either at the source, or around the mic. The beauty of putting carpets up around the mic area is it will cancel out wierd reflections and reverbs you may not want, so you can add reverb later.

Bill

Excited!

I went for the red5 audio RV10 in the end. Can't wait to get my hands on it and try it out, wooohooo!!!

http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Condensor_Mics.html

And if it's crap they do a 14 money return - at least in THEORY!

I'll probably be so knocked out with the improvement over a SM58 that there's no way i'll be sending it back anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys - especialy Mark7 for putting me onto this one. I'll come back and let you all know how I get on with it.

One dummy type question - where does the shock mount fit on to? Do they screw onto a normal microphone top or do you have to buy an adaptor or special microphone? How's it work?

No screws... the mic just slips in... kind of think of it as being spring loaded or rubber band mounted.

glynb said:
I have decided finaly to upgrade from my sure sm58 to a condenser mic for recording vocals and acoustic guitar on my fostex vf160 multitracker. What would be a good low cost upgrade in my position which would deliver improvements on the sm58?

I don't want/can't afford to spend a lot!

(The vf160 has built in pre amp's BTW)

(hint) ANY condensor mic is an upgrade to the SM58. Pick one. Any one.

It's arrived...

Haven't had chance to play much, but it seems OK. Yes, it is better than the sm58, but the difference isn't like black and white, bit more top end and low end coming through.

http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Condensor_Mics.html
Model RV10

First impressions are that I won't be sending it back, but I wouldn't say its a 'fantastic, mind blowing' difference over the sm58.

Now that could mean several things. Either I was doing a pretty good job with the sm58, or that I'm doing a very bad job with the condenser! Or that others comments have raised unrealistic expectations in me of what a budget condenser mic can do (£160).

Like I said, early days yet. One annoying thing was the lack of an instruction manual. I know there are only three switches on the thing, but it would be nice to have some advice from the manufacturers on how to use the switches, under what circumstances (yes I know there's an FAQ here which will help, but that's not the point) . There was a leaflet, but it just gave the technical specs.

I'll get back to you when I've had more of a chance to play with this thing.

One is probably the pad switch (that'll be the one with a -10, or something like that, on it), one's probably the low cut switch (there should be a glyph that looks like a slope rising to a plateau) and the third one is probably the Pattern Switch (it should be a three position switch with three glyphs: one for cardioid (kind of kidney shaped), one for omni (a circle) and one for figure 8 (guess)).

Instructions:

1. Screw Shockmount onto Mic Stand
  2. Place Microphone carefully into shockmount, ensuring that Mic is secure.
  3. Plug Female XLR end of mic cable into mic's Male XLR jack
  4. Plug Male end of mic cable into Pre-amp/Mixer's Female XLR socket
  5. With all controls on Pre/Mixerset at zero turn on Pre/Mixer and Phantom Power
    [/list=1]

Easy.

Thanks Mark7

Mark7 said:
One is probably the pad switch (that'll be the one with a -10, or something like that, on it), one's probably the low cut switch (there should be a glyph that looks like a slope rising to a plateau) and the third one is probably the Pattern Switch (it should be a three position switch with three glyphs: one for cardioid (kind of kidney shaped), one for omni (a circle) and one for figure 8 (guess)).

I had already figured out the Pattern switch, but just thought they may have provided info on when and how to use it, most products come with info of this type.

Some dumb questions:

You were spot on with the other two switches. I didn't know what the bass-cut switch was, so thanks for that. But, under what circumstances would i use a bass cut switch? Would it be to cut out say low rumblings from heavy traffic on the road outside or people's feet stamping on the floor boards, that type of noise?

Presumably the pad switch with the -10 (you were right) is if you were to record something of very loud volume (louder than the human voice) and need to cut the signal a bit? or what?

Once again, I know I can get detailed info from the thread at the top of the list but just would like it 'in a nutshell' at this stage of my learning curve!

The Bass Cut switch is indeed very handy for keeping nasty low frequency rumblings from passing lorries, trains and the like out of your recordings; and also for attenuating proximity effect when used close up.

The -10 dB pad switch is useful for attenuating the output when miking up loud sources. Although, it doesn't prevent overload of the capsule, so you still have to be careful.

Back