Which condenser for Fostex multitracker?

glynb

Balladeer
I have decided finaly to upgrade from my sure sm58 to a condenser mic for recording vocals and acoustic guitar on my fostex vf160 multitracker. What would be a good low cost upgrade in my position which would deliver improvements on the sm58?

I don't want/can't afford to spend a lot!

(The vf160 has built in pre amp's BTW)

I recommend the Marshall MXL603S mic for acoustic guitar... and that you audition mic's until you find whatever mic sounds best with your voice.

I'll second that motion on the 603s, recently got a pair for acoustic
guitar. Excellent choice!
For vocals....tis up to you.
I do use a Carvin and reluctantly say so because there aren't
many Carvin fans here.
Best you audition mics.

I'm using a VF80, and can only covet a 160, even so, the Studio Projects B1 sounds great with what I have -- with or without the internal preamps/phantom power. Either way. I decided to also get a VTB1 preamp, but you should be more than happy going straight into the 160.

The B1 sounds like whatever you put into it. Your voice will sound like just that, your voice. Same thing with guitars.

They run about $80, but get the spider/shock mount with it...

really want one mic

I'm really looking for just buying one mic to record both vocals and acoustic instruments.

The main thing is to get a mic which captures my voice properly, as the voice is the most important thing on any song IMO.

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask about the B1, though here in the UK it will probably cost the same in pounds as you pay in dollars!
(eg $160)

One thing, will I have to turn on the vf160's internal power thing for the xlr sockets or will the B1 work just straight in?

The 797 Audio/Studio Projects B1 cost about $80 in the USA... and yes it needs phantom power, if that's what your asking about.

Re: really want one mic

glynb said:
I'm really looking for just buying one mic to record both vocals and acoustic instruments...

Thanks for the advice. I'll ask about the B1, though here in the UK it will probably cost the same in pounds as you pay in dollars!
(eg $160)

One thing, will I have to turn on the vf160's internal power thing for the xlr sockets or will the B1 work just straight in?

Check out this site: www.studioprojectsusa.com
Use the phantom power and the XLR inputs. Make sure you hook the mic up first before turning on the phantom power.

Even at 80 pounds I think you'd be very happy with the Studio Projects B1. Your voice is going to sound like -- your voice. So will your acoustic instruments (sound like themselves, not like your voice!). While they're far away from you, I'd have to say the people at Studio Projects are some of the best folks I've come across. Phoning up is best, but if you email them, they're just as good. Perhaps they can steer you to a UK distributor.

Hmmm...all made in China?

Someone elsewhere has implied that all these cheepo condense mics are all made in the same '747(?)'factory in China, and implied that that was a bad thing.

What is it with this story, anything in it?

I don't mind paying a bit more if I NEED to get something better than the B1.

Phatom power, yes that IS what I meant, just couldn't remeber the term for it. And yes, the Fostex vf160 does have phantom power so I'm ok there.

Thanks for your advice people.

Do you live anywhere near a DV store? If so why not go in and try one out? And if not, you could always phone and ask what their Returns policy is.

Mic update - got prices...

Options from my preferred retailer (employs staff that seem to know what they are talking about):
- AKG C1000 - £99
- Rode NT1 £169 (includes shock mount)
- Behringer B1 £129
- SE Electronics (includes flight case and shock mount) £129

Now bear in mind these are UK prices which are always higher than US anyway.

Any thoughts, FURTHER advice?

Re: Mic update - got prices...

glynb said:
Options from my preferred retailer (employs staff that seem to know what they are talking about):
- AKG C1000 - £99
- Behringer B1 £129

To respond to this and your other post. The Studio Projects B1 is an SP spec'd Chinese built (by 797 Audio) mic. If all mics anywhere close to this price point were as well designed and assembled it'd be a great thing. I believe at least 2 of your above suggested mics are assembled in China. 797 is not by any means the only assembly factory. On the SP website you'll find out all you want to know regarding the choice of 797 for and by SP.

On this forum, a lot of people seem to hate the Rode NT1 (but they may be referring to the NT1 and not the new NT1a). The NT1a has a self-noise of 5db!! That alone should warrant a test! Most would also say the Behringer B1 is not nearly the same as the SP B1. Nor to my knowledge are they assembled by the same company. I haven't heard the Behringer, so maybe it's great.

In general, I believe there are some people out there who feel about "Made in China" the way some used to about "Made in Japan." Just in terms of quality, I've yet to feel badly about any of the items in my house bearing that designation -- least of all my Studio Projects B1's and VTb1's.

Try this if you can... Audition the most expensive mic you can, then audition an SP B1. See what you think.

Re: Mic update - got prices...

glynb said:
- AKG C1000 - £99
- Behringer B1 £129

IMO, all those mic's suck... except the older NT1's are ok, and the AKG C1000S is ok on mounted toms, and the SE3500 is an ok broadcast type mic.

Auditioning is difficult

I mean in the store any mic can sound OK, you really need to work with it for a while on your projects in order to notice the subtle differences, and I asssume we ARE talking subtle differences here.

I can't see any retailer here in the UK allowing me to take home three mics for a couple of weeks in order to have a play and return two to the store! So I'll need to go off advice from you guys.

I've been advised that I'd notice an improvement over the Sure sm58 regardless of which condenser mic I buy, so I guess that puts it in perspective.

Form what I've heard form people the B1 seems favourite, for the budget, though obviously if you're used to more expensive mics then the B1 may well suck to you.

Yes, but when people around here talk about the B1 in glowing terms they're usually talking about the Studio Projects B1 . Not the Behringer.

The Red5 Audio line is supposed to be okay and they do have a trial period. You can contact them at http://red5audio.com

Interesting

Thanks Mark7. Checked out the site and looks interesting.

Wonder how it compares with the rest?

Here are the technical specs if anyone is interested...

Element: Pressure Gradient Transducer
Diaphragm: 3-micron thick, dual vapour deposited gold diaphragms (1 Inch)
Polar Pattern: Cardioid, Figure 8 & Omni
-10 db Attenuation Switch
Low frequency roll-off switch
Internal and external gold-plated connectors
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz
Sensitivity: -31dB/-33dB/-34dB (+/- 2dB)
(0dB = 1V/Pa at 1kHz)
Output Impedance: 250Ohms +/- 30% (at 1kHz)
Self Noise: 14dBA
Max. Input SPL: 135dB (at 1kHz 1% THD)
145dB (with –10dB Pad)
Operating Voltage: 48V dc phantom power (+/- 5V)
Net Weight: 590g

Comes with shock mount and case.

Well, with a 14 day trial period why not try em and see!? :)

Only YOU can decide whether or not you like a particular microphone.

True enough...

I just wondered at the price £149 they are more expensive than any of the others I listed above, but its said to be a great value mic, so I assume it is a league above the others and competing with mics of £200-£300 ?

I could do with some kind of Which guide to condenser mic's, with a comparison table!!

But with 14 days to play, yes I may give it a go.

Back