Which budget microphones works best for trombone and euphonium?

lancetbneup

Hi all,

I'm still new into recording process/gadgets, I just got my AT2020USB+ and realized that it has no gain control, which is a big headache to brass players because we could hit the maximum volume easily. This ruined up the sound quality of course.

So after some serious consideration, I'm planing to buy a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 recording interface, and a microphone. Do you have any recommendations on which mic should I start with? My budget is hopefully 100usd, but if any suggestions need more than that and it's worthy I'll pick that also.(hopefully still within 150usd , our currency now is really bad :(

Mostly will be self recording solos and multi tracks with my trombone and euphonium, with Audacity or ProTools. More serious purpose, for recording auditions.

*I had did some researched, Shure SM57, AKG 170 and MXL R144(saw a trombonist from YouTube, and he says ribbon mic works best for brass, and it sounds nice Kopprasch Study #14 - Conn 88H Trombone - YouTube ) seems to be some of the most recommended microphones for brass/trombone and euphonium.
I think I'm selling my AT2020USB+ soon, and looking forward to get some more reviews about some good microphone(s) to start with.

Regards
Lance

Hi,
What's the recording environment like? Do you want to capture some natural ambience or is a dry recording better for you?

If dry is better, a dynamic mic very close to the instrument might be the better option.
If you're interested in a more ambient recording then condenser mics, ribbon mics, omni patterns etc are all options.

Hi Steenamaroo,

My bedroom is a bit dry, the only main noise come from my clock(removable) and maybe air con and my ASUS laptop. Or I will move my recording gadgets around to some better places like rehearsal rooms, practice rooms (when I got into a school in Germany).

Would like like to do multi tracks like this https://youtu.be/1yw07xSmUNc (Shure Beta 58 used)
Or chamber/ensemble recordings like this https://youtu.be/yhqzQpFwXg0 (but mostly wind and brass instruments)

Actually I'm not sure dry or ambience would be my favourite, but I would like to have some echo feedback (like in church) or when recording a chamber music group with one mic.

For video, I have a ZOOM Q3HD to recording video and to have them edited together after that, or another video recorder suggestions?

Thank you so much!!

Hi Steenamaroo,

My bedroom is a bit dry, the only main noise come from my clock(removable) and maybe air con and my ASUS laptop. Or I will move my recording gadgets around to some better places like rehearsal rooms, practice rooms (when I got into a school in Germany).

Would like like to do multi tracks like this https://youtu.be/1yw07xSmUNc (Shure Beta 58 used)
Or chamber/ensemble recordings like this https://youtu.be/yhqzQpFwXg0 (but mostly wind and brass instruments)

Actually I'm not sure dry or ambience would be my favourite, but I would like to have some echo feedback (like in church) or when recording a chamber music group with one mic.

For video, I have a ZOOM Q3HD to recording video and to have them edited together after that, or another video recorder suggestions?

Thank you so much!!

Hi,
Those two clips show two different ways to go.
The first sounds like he's recorded dry and added a reverb. Hear the tail after the short notes at 3:53/3:54?
I'd say that's added digitally.

The other video is the complete opposite - Capturing the natural sound and balance on an ensemble and in its environment.

Solo stuff in a small room? Mic close, reverb later (if you want).
Live stuff in a hall or nice room? Mic as a group, if natural balance and ambience is what you're after.
That's just my thought...
The caveat with the latter setup is if the room sounds bad, the recording will sound bad. That's a struggle most of us have. :p

My bedroom is a bit dry,
I doubt that very much. Dry and quiet are not the same thing. Your bedroom will probably have a lot of reverb in the 350hz - 600hz range. Not a good thing for recording, which is why Steeno asked if you are okay with close micing. If you keep the mic close to your instrument, you will lessen the affect your room will have on your recording. In an acoustically bad room, like your bedroom, that's a good thing.

Plus, dynamic mics typically need more gain, so you can play louder and not max out your interface.

A rehearsal room would be great!! A practice room will be better than your bedroom. But if I know school environments, you'll have to deal with distractions and unwanted noise from other students.

If you can get a nice dry recording (no room affects), you can add reverbs and delays later to get the effect you want.

As for the mic... I'm sure an SM57 is up to the task and not expensive.

+1. I did mean the acoustics of the room rather than noises from fans etc.
Of course you'll want to minimise the latter too. ;)

Back