Initial Setup

ADeschamps

Good afternoon, I have just started in this forum to learn about music production.My idea is mainly to do rap, sentimental and gradually move on to something more commercial.I want to show my home studio to record my own songs, I've been reading a lot, but I'm overwhelmed with so much information.I've been looking at several DAW and it seems that I will start with a classic as is the FL STUDIO, currently my pc as I have a MacBook Air with M2 chip. I have decided this daw because it seems that there are many courses to learn how to get started.my main idea is to buy products for beginners, which are more or less cheap, unless you recommend me something else.the only thing I am hesitating is to buy a good microphone and I explain why: I want to take very seriously the issue of composing songs, I am currently practicing singing lessons and I thought that with a good microphone I can always pass the audio to a more experienced producer, especially at the beginning to start to manage and learn little by little. For everything else, I would like to hear your opinions and your advice, I hope you can help me and above all, I hope that in a few months I can help other people, a big hug and thank you very much.

Here is what I would say:

DAW - your choice is fine. Not really important at the moment.
Interface - get a decent mainstream interface, Presonus, Focusrite, Tascam. Something decent, keep it under $150
Get a large diaphragm condenser mic under $100. Get a pop filter, cable and stand. (Others might have a better suggestion)

That's it. I assume you are going to use loops and drum machines and backing tracks? If not, it gets a bit more complicated. But I will assume that for now.

Then, start recording, make sure you don't clip and just record your vocals and learn how to track, stay in time, etc. It will sound bad, but keep going until you can't make it any better. Research, tweak and come back and ask question. It is a lot harder than people think, but to impossible.

If you can find those things I mentioned on Facebook market or second hand, all the better. Don't buy something unless you know you need it.

Others will join in and give their recommendations, but keep it simple and don't try buying your way into a great recording. It does take effort.

Here is what I would say:

DAW - your choice is fine. Not really important at the moment.
Interface - get a decent mainstream interface, Presonus, Focusrite, Tascam. Something decent, keep it under $150
Get a large diaphragm condenser mic under $100. Get a pop filter, cable and stand. (Others might have a better suggestion)

That's it. I assume you are going to use loops and drum machines and backing tracks? If not, it gets a bit more complicated. But I will assume that for now.

Then, start recording, make sure you don't clip and just record your vocals and learn how to track, stay in time, etc. It will sound bad, but keep going until you can't make it any better. Research, tweak and come back and ask question. It is a lot harder than people think, but to impossible.

If you can find those things I mentioned on Facebook market or second hand, all the better. Don't buy something unless you know you need it.

Others will join in and give their recommendations, but keep it simple and don't try buying your way into a great recording. It does take effort.
Thank you my friend.

I have also been told to buy some headphones, a keyboard or MIDI controller and some good speakers, do you recommend me to buy these three as well?

Thank you very much.

1st of all, welcome to the board!
Thank you my friend.

I have also been told to buy some headphones, a keyboard or MIDI controller and some good speakers, do you recommend me to buy these three as well?

Thank you very much.
Decent headphones are a must if you're just starting out. My favorite budget option are the Sennheiser HD 560 or HD 400 PRO -- very flat frequency response for the price. You might be tempted to ditch your headphones if you're used to listening to that kind of music on consumer headsets / systems, because the bass doesn't sound loud "enough". Resist the urge! Mix on "flat" "cans" and it will sound much better over all frequency-skewed systems.

Keyboards / MIDI controllers are generally useful. It depends what your production style is though. Do you tend to use samples, or do you make your own loops? Someone may be able to better help you in the "DJ and Hip-hop Production" sub-forum (I don't do much rap stuff myself).

Ideally you'd want monitors, but that's going to be a steeper price/quality curve. They're also only as good as your room so unless you want to treat that acoustically etc I'd refrain -- at least for now :) Learn on the headphones before you spend a lot of money!

Last edited:
Thank you my friend.

Thank you very much.
That is rather a loaded question as a keyboard can be a controller, but a controller doesn't have to be a keyboard. If you play synth, then a keyboard is really needed.

As far as controllers, I am not sure what works best with FL Studio. I have been using Ableton and the best controller for it is a type of grid controller. Now they have PUSH and there are others. I have the APC40 and it works really well, but it is geared towards Ableton and how it launches clips/scenes. You really need to do some research based on what your objective is.

Headphones, I just assumed you had those, I would agree with SR. Monitors right now push you into a very complex territory. Work with the basics and then build up.

I'll try a different tack. You've told us what you want to do, but a few warning bells are going off in my head.
It sounds, if I have read it right, that you want to produce music? You've started having singing lessons? Your idea is very common and great - but you may not have considered a few things.

Why do you not already have a mic, to record the snippets of songs you have already composed? The usual path is one of two basic starter routes.
1. You sing a bit and maybe strum the guitar or have a keyboard of some kind that makes your kind of noises.
2. You've downloaded some tracks, produced by somebody else and are singing/rapping already - using these. You might even have started editing on your mac?

I have a few suggestions.
Number 1 - a skills audit. Write down what you can already do. Really basic stuff. Take the singing.
Can you sing? If you hear a favourite track of any style - can you replicate what the singer is doing? Is it in tune, does it have the right rhythm? This is so critical for rap. With melodies, you can sing ahead, or behind the beat as a stylistic 'feature'. With rap - you MUST have the feel. The right singing teacher for your style is critical. This person if they are honest, knows how good you can be in a heart beat. The good ones will rcognise ability, and teach you to get better - but they will also tell you if your dream is pointless. Some people just don't have great voices. I can sing, but I am NOT a singer. I can sing in tune, sing with rhythm, but the result will never be special.

Then we have musicality. Can you manage pitch properly - either by playing the right note on a keyboard or singing the right pitch. Do you have instinctive music theory? are you self-taught on guitar or keyboards, so if somebody starts to sing, you can work out the key and join in?

If you walk past a piano - can you bash out the start of Rush E - it's a great test of pitch and rhythm, and loads of people can pick it up - but loads simply cannot.

You are sort of talking about a food recipe - you want to make it, so are reading the books on which oven, which tools, which flavourings - but what is your taste like? Do you already know what goes badly with beef, but great with chicken?

You talk about the DAW - but most people like different ways of working, so Reaper and Reason, popular with some, are hated by others. Cubase - my DAW of 30 years, is damn awkward to learn, but very clever - but lots of people hate it with a passion. Microphones are the same. My favourites might be awful on your voice.

Music Technology is a simply huge subject, and the learning curve steep. Youtube, and go in person courses are frequently awful, because they dal with averages. I taught it for years and the typical people on it did really well. Those at the edges less so - so if you are into rap, jazz, classical, experimental it may be difficult to progress in a course built around EDM, or even roack and pop.

We were alwys over-subscribed and we asked a filter question to basically get rid of the non-serious applicants. "Great - thanks for coming. Did you bring with you a recording of something you've done?" All the people who were keen and had ability would say "it's not very good, I don't have much gear at home" and play the music - often it was crude, and technically weak, but yoiu knew there was talent in there - and that is what the technology does - let's your creativity expand. Those that said effectively "that's what I'm coming on the course for" didn't get on it. My favourite trick to check weak applicants was to enquire what they played. Being able to play something was 99% normal. often they could strum a few chords, or play drums, or something - so I'd pass them my guitar hanging up in the office, that I always kept out of tune. They'd pick it up twang it, and grimace, and sort it. The playing wasn't important at all. A guitarist that could not tune a guitar without a tuner, or even an app on their phone rang huge warning bells.

Every person who sings or plays can do these things to some level already. Those that cannot are not going to do well, or have staying power.

We don't need to know - but where are you on this stuff? wanting to do music may be totally impossible to some - and it is not something everyone can learn. Schools are pretty good at spotting music talent - did they spot you?

Rob, by your tests I could be a contender! I can tune a guitar (and sort the lectrics!) but I cannot claim to get it to concert pitch. I can, used to, sing and very musical son seemed ok with it but then perhaps he was being kind!

No piano chops at all so since I am 78 next month maybe I shan't embark on a musical career?

Dave.

Rob's post is either the most useful and fantastic post on the subject or one to totally ignore. Here's a real living paradox for those that don't understand paradoxes ~ it's both.

And I don't mean that rudely or as a put-down. On one hand, I think there is so much in there that's important and applicable, but whether it's applicable to ADeschamps is debatable. I think that if someone goes out of their way to join a home recording forum to ask questions, and they know what they'd like to do, but not how, then unless they're really just gazing, they're in for the long haul.
I'd wanted to do my own recordings for years {I thought in terms of a professional studio until I discovered the notion of home recording, and even then, it was years before I got into a place like HR with many useful brains to swap advice and ideas} but I'd never have done so if I took on board much of what Rob said.
But.....it's advice not to be sneezed at. We're all so different and the good thing about different posts is that they reflect different experiences of different people. I've said this for years, it's not about who is right and who is wrong {unless we're dealing with a question that has a black-and-white, definitive answer}, rather, it's about hearing the totality of the varying opinions and thinking them through.

I think we just need to be realistic - I also think it is why some studio folk do well. They understand the technology, and apply their skills to other people's musical ability. So somebody who can play, but can't stick a mic in the right place, pairs with the opposite. Others can play and do the tec stuff. It's really vital to work out which you are. The OP here needs to know where to put in the effort. The kit is sort of irrelevant to a degree - if you have a voice that works - technical stuff is easy. If your voice is simply not commercial, then thinking you can fix it with technology can be very frustrating. Guitar tuning wise - I am perfectly in tune by ear. Sadly, perfectly in tune in E and a bit, like a 1970s pop song.

Welcome to the world of music production. FL Studio is a great choice, especially for beginners. As for a microphone, investing in a decent one early on can make a big difference in your recordings. Good luck on your journey, and don't hesitate to ask for help here – we've got your back!

Back