Where to save new patches on a VST plugin?

Airlane

I use lots of free VST synth and FX plugins and I'm confused by how they store new user patches. Most have a list of supplied patches in a drop-down box at the top but this has no room for new patches, and many plugins automatically overwrite the current preset. Patches can be saved via the Save Preset... drop down box although not in the plugin's own list but in the DAW. Loading one of those user patches does not display its name in the plugin's patch name box. I am confused. Can someone explain how to save new patches?
Patch list box.JPG

It probably depends on the DAW and the VST in question. Does your VST have a manual? It's probably in there if it does. I can't tell what DAW you are using from that small sliver of a screengrab but perhaps hitting that black down arrow next to the green up/down arrows offers you some options?

Put the .dll file in the VST folder. In options the DAW will show you the directory it searches in. Check in that folder. See what vsts are there.

It probably depends on the DAW and the VST in question. Does your VST have a manual? It's probably in there if it does. I can't tell what DAW you are using from that small sliver of a screengrab but perhaps hitting that black down arrow next to the green up/down arrows offers you some options?
I use Cubase. None of the manuals for the plugins describes how to save patches in new locations - it's as if they regard that as too basic to mention. Some plugins have their own file systems which work nicely; others don't bother and I just can't find a way to save new patches without overwriting old ones. I've explored all the options on the screen.

I just installed this plugin, it is a SuperWave P8 (in case anyone else was wondering though I almost mistook it for a SuperWave 28 due to the bottom of the screenshot being cutoff), and the default install location (which I changed on my end) was C:\VstPlugins, so look in that folder... there should be a folder called "SuperWave" then in there one called "P8" and in there one called "Patches" or do a search on your computer for "SuperWave" and find the file location. The website: https://www.superwavesynths.com/p8 has a few patches for download and even says: "All sound patches are supplied in FXP/FXB file format. For information on how to import FXP/FXB files, refer to your VST Host application manual." I use Reaper so next to where my presets are is a little "+" button where I can save my own presets... but there is also an option to import/export FXP/FXB files etc... look in Cubase manual to see where it describes how to save or load FXP/FXB files.

I just installed this plugin, it is a SuperWave P8 (in case anyone else was wondering though I almost mistook it for a SuperWave 28 due to the bottom of the screenshot being cutoff), and the default install location (which I changed on my end) was C:\VstPlugins, so look in that folder... there should be a folder called "SuperWave" then in there one called "P8" and in there one called "Patches" or do a search on your computer for "SuperWave" and find the file location. The website: https://www.superwavesynths.com/p8 has a few patches for download and even says: "All sound patches are supplied in FXP/FXB file format. For information on how to import FXP/FXB files, refer to your VST Host application manual." I use Reaper so next to where my presets are is a little "+" button where I can save my own presets... but there is also an option to import/export FXP/FXB files etc... look in Cubase manual to see where it describes how to save or load FXP/FXB files.
I will use that method in future, rather than looking to save my patches in the plugin. Thanks for that. As you've installed SuperWave, I'd really like to know how to activate the MIDI Learn mode on it which is, according to the description on the website, available. I can't find anything in the plugin that turns it on so that I can control functions via CCs. Other plugins have an obvious button.

I've never done this outside of saving the .cpr file where the things I tweak in VSTs get remembered - so I tried it and loaded a synth vsti. Next to the up down buttons is a downward arrow - giving access to load and save presets. I tweaked the default sound and saved it as test. I dumped that synth from the screen and reloaded it, getting the default sound. I then went to load preset and got the screen that had the filtering lists - lots of names of other vstis and types and then sounds and no 'test' in the list - so I fiddle with the different options in the columns and eventually found the one labelled 'test' showed up. Loaded it and it was the one I saved. the things you tweak have the .vstpreset added to the filename - so you should be able top search for it on your system - mine was in C:/Users/PC2/Documents/VST3 Presets/Steinberg Media Technologies but remember the / is the one that is the other way around - I can't find it on this keyboard. PC2 is the name of this computer. I'd search for where your VST3 Presets folder is.

I've never done this outside of saving the .cpr file where the things I tweak in VSTs get remembered - so I tried it and loaded a synth vsti. Next to the up down buttons is a downward arrow - giving access to load and save presets. I tweaked the default sound and saved it as test. I dumped that synth from the screen and reloaded it, getting the default sound. I then went to load preset and got the screen that had the filtering lists - lots of names of other vstis and types and then sounds and no 'test' in the list - so I fiddle with the different options in the columns and eventually found the one labelled 'test' showed up. Loaded it and it was the one I saved. the things you tweak have the .vstpreset added to the filename - so you should be able top search for it on your system - mine was in C:/Users/PC2/Documents/VST3 Presets/Steinberg Media Technologies but remember the / is the one that is the other way around - I can't find it on this keyboard. PC2 is the name of this computer. I'd search for where your VST3 Presets folder is.
Thanks for that. I'm still rather baffled by the strange lack of a simple method to save new patches inside some plugins. Many are far better, having their own patch library system that doesn't involve the DAW, and that is how they should all work.

I will use that method in future, rather than looking to save my patches in the plugin. Thanks for that. As you've installed SuperWave, I'd really like to know how to activate the MIDI Learn mode on it which is, according to the description on the website, available. I can't find anything in the plugin that turns it on so that I can control functions via CCs. Other plugins have an obvious button.
In Reaper, I just right click on the VST over the knob I want and click "Learn" "Unlearn" or "Edit". I assume clicking "Learn" and then twisting a Midi controller that is connected to my DAW will assign that. Clicking "Edit" allows me to select from a list of Midi Controls. I don't have Cubase so I don't know if this is the same or not.

Does that work even with plugins such as SuperWave which don't appear to have implemented a MIDI Learn option? This certainly doesn't work in Cubase, so I'd really like to know if it does when using SuperWave in Reaper.

Back