Where do I put everything?

pinhedgtr

Processing
Okay so I have the room treated with floor to cieling bass traps, absorbers at the reflection points, and a few high freq. absorbers on the long walls. The room is 19X10 and I have set the mixing station so the speakers are firing the long distance of the room toward the door. The room is used for rehearsal as well as recording.

My question is:
Where do I put the drums, the guitar rig, the bass rig and the P.A. speakers for optimal sound for recording?

Drum kit: 7 pc.
Guitar Amp: Half stack
Bass Rig: 2X15" speaker cab and 4X8" speaker cab
PA system: (2) 2X15" towers and an 18" sub

Any ideas or help is appreciated!

B

Reactions: SRR
Here's a quick drawing of the studio
Studio.jpg

Are you looking to get good recording results or just a rough demo sound? If it's the first, you're going to want to put a wall or something up seperating the mixing board and monitors from the "live" sound.

Well ideally, I'd like to get a good recording sound, but I don't think there willl be enough room for everything if I put a wall up. It is also where we practice too, so the room serves two purposes. Could maybe build some kind of mobile barrier that I could fold up and move out of there when wer'e not recording.

pinhedgtr said:
Okay so I have the room treated with floor to cieling bass traps, absorbers at the reflection points, and a few high freq. absobers on the long walls. The room is 19X10 and I have set the mixing station so the speakers are firing the long distance of the room toward the door. The room is used for rehearsal as well as recording.

My question is:
Where do I put the drums, the guitar rig, the bass rig and the P.A. speakers for optimal sound for recording?

Drum kit: 7 pc.
Guitar Amp: Half stack
Bass Rig: 2X15" speaker cab and 4X8" speaker cab
PA system: (2) 2X15" towers and an 18" sub

Any ideas or help is appreciated!

B
Ooft, do you really need all that for such a small room?
I'd just use 1 of the pa speakers, and try and keep the amps low. Obv you need to be able to hear them with the drums, but the rooms gonna be very loud with what you wanna fill it with. I wouldn't leave all this setup while your recording either.

Attachments

• pinhedgtr.GIF
    pinhedgtr.GIF
    4.8 KB · Views: 132
What on earth would you need a 18" sub for in a room that small, whether its for pratice or recording keep it out of the room, or not plug'd in atleast it would give you an extra seat to sit on. :p :p :p

SRR said:
What on earth would you need a 18" sub for in a room that small, whether its for pratice or recording keep it out of the room, or not plug'd in atleast it would give you an extra seat to sit on. :p :p :p
What i was thinking. You just need, at most, one pa speaker. Then a small bass n guitar amp.

use the sub to support one of the other pa speakers so its at the right height to be a monitor for the vocalist.
i'd put the drums all the way back and try to set up like a gig formation.

Attachments

• practice area.jpg
    practice area.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 114
These are good ideas! I just have too much damn equipment in the room, the only problem is I have no where else in the house to put it. I like the idea of putting the sub under one of the speakers, that would save a little room. Another problem is that the drum kit is fricken huge! Here is a link to a song recorded in this room:
$8 Choke song I think it is a pretty good demo quality recording, but I want to make the best of the room I have to work with. Here's how it has been set up in the past. It seems to work okay for band practice, and recording. And of course I'm not using the PA system while recording, but during practice I use it for vocals and a little bass drum(sounds sweet with the sub ;) ) Another problem is that once we find a singer, where the hell is he gonna stand??? :eek: Again thanks for all you help and suggestions.

Studiofull.jpg

pinhedgtr, if you are gonna leave negative rep, sign it. Thanks. Oh, and you still don't need a 18" sub in a room that small.

andycerrone said:
Are you looking to get good recording results or just a rough demo sound? If it's the first, you're going to want to put a wall or something up seperating the mixing board and monitors from the "live" sound.

Why would that make any difference on the final quality? Plenty of great albums were recorded in one room setups. Daniel Lanois does all his albums that way.

You don't have enough room to setup everything properly. The general rule for instrument/speaker placement is to keep them out of corners and off the center lines of the room. If you divide your room into thirds both ways the intersection of those lines would be the best places. That only gives you about 4 ideal spaces to put stuff.

I have a similiar setup and we just move stuff around to the best spots depending on what we are tracking. Gullfo's diagram would be a good setup but it looks he's cheated with the scale. Your room would need to be twice as big to pull that off.

SRR said:
pinhedgtr, if you are gonna leave negative rep, sign it. Thanks. Oh, and you still don't need a 18" sub in a room that small.
I did'nt leave you negative rep man. I actually gave everyone positive rep.

I dunno, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I click on the scale thingy and hit "I approve" and then hit "add to reputation". Sounds right to me. That's all I did, just tryin to be nice to people for helpin me out. Looks like I pissed everyone off though somehow. lol

Back