When / Where do I put the Gate / Compression ... all that. on Tape or during Mixdown?

digidoon

Hi ,
I am not sure if I should be doing all the Noisegate / Compression and Co. while Recording or while Mixing. I am thinking mostly about but what do you all do?

Don't use any of those things unless you NEED them, either to fix a problem or as a creative effect.

That being said, if you use that signal processing during the recording phase (also called "tracking"), this will free up those devices so that you can use them on other tracks during mixdown. Just remember that when you use these devices during tracking, it's commited to the recorder, no undo there, so you really need to get it sounding just right on the way in. Aside from making your processors available to you in the mix, the other reason to use something like compression during tracking is to reduce the dynamic range of a source if it's, for example, too dynamic for your recorder input, that is the quietest passages are too quiet while the loudest passages are distorting your input. Personally, I find myself doing this more when recording digitally because digital recording is very unforgiving--if you're seeing red on the meters, you're ruining your recording--whereas tape is much more forgiving, you can hit the input levels hard and the distortion and natural tape compression you get can be pleasing to the ear. I'm personally most likely to track with compression when I'm recording vocals digitally, for example, because that's a very dynamic source going into an unforgiving recorder!

ok That is the way I was thinking. Gate on Snare / Bass Drum...but if that is set wrong or the Drumme starts playing differently than durring setting the Gate it´s too late... Do any of you use Gates./ Compressor... later and bounce tracks to unsued tracks afterwards?

Gates occasionally -never at tracking. EXPANDERS I like. Sometimes on bass guit for example.
Comps- on a few things on tracking -but only when it's safe (the situation is appropriate), voc, bass maybe. All over/anywhere it's needed once in the mix.

OK,
I am getting geared up to record my next Album as Analog as possible. I can do all the tracking Analog. What about mixing down? What should I mix to? Should I get a 2 Track machine for that? Kind of makes more sense...What do you all do?

Well if you want to mix down to an analog deck, a 2-track analog deck is what you'll need for that. Most likely this will be a 1/4" machine. 1/2" professional 2-track decks do exist, but they're rare and relatively expensive.

Some guys will suggest mixing down to cassette, that's your other analog option. I personally wouldn't unless I was going for a lo-fi production. Your mileage may vary.

Otherwise your other mixdown options would be digital: a CDR deck, DAW workstation or software, or even DAT.

Well I may have a Fostex E2 tomorrow morning at 11 in Offenbach. Thanks. I was in a Band in the 80s and we did two records all Analog with a good producer. It was Tracking to 24 Track 2 inch. Then Mix to 1/4 inch and that was it . Mastering went from the 1/4 inch to the Lacquer... Maybe I will make an LP...

Hi digidoon,
Just for my 2¢ on your original question:
I've found that compressing to tape can be a good way to minimize tape hiss if you're not using noise reduction. These days I nearly always compress the snare a little bit while tracking.
I love using expander/gates for creative effects but I never track with them unless it's something really unusual that's integral to the performance (liked a tremolo effect using the key input). Most of the time it's actually more effective to use gates on already recorded tracks because you're also attenuating tape hiss. I suppose if you were recording several channels of drums to one track and you were looking for that 80s super separation sound it might be a good idea to gate to tape. But you'd have to be really careful to check that the drummer plays at the same level during the take as he/she did while you set the threshold.
BTW I hope the Fostex E2 purchase worked out well. I believe that is a 3 head machine, so you can monitor off the repro head while mixing--that's a very nice option, it let's you hear the real effect of the tape on it's recording. Plus the machine would come in handy during tracking for tape delay (either as an echo effector or a predelay for reverbs).

If you have the overhead up enough on the drum kit you can gate the snare and kick because you won't hear any cutting out. This might help get a punchier sound. But it's only useful if you're going to one track like I do otherwise you can gate it in the mix.

Thanks ,

Yes I picked up the E2 and an E8 today. I don´t need the E8 but it was a package deal. Lots to do now..

I´ll be aFostex Repair Tech before this is over!

Glad I got the E2 and the E8 and also have the B16D....

I will get an E16 sometime too...

Why..... Crap Bay but I gonna whup em!

More to come

My B16 (no D ) is Solid

Making Progress..
the E2 is working well after replacing the Capstan Motor with the Motor from the B16D.
Wow sounds real nice. Figuring out my 4050 Autolocator as well. Only thing I cant do yet is
have my DAW sync to the Fostex 4050. Recorded Time code on Channel 16. thats all ok...
Just need to figure out the Midi part.. I think it would be helpful later when I mix down to be able to send
Mutes to the Tascam M2516 Board. Sure I can already edit and create Scenes and could recall them manualy ... The E8 is working as well. The LED VU meters are messed up a bit.. some of the LEDs in each VU meter dont light up anymore. It all works though. If anyone out there wants to help me on this feel free.

Thanks for all the Tips so far. I have had lots of very helpful Info from this Forum already.

Anyone out there whi has ever refurbished a Capstan Motor? the Direct Drive kind.. Print Motor. I think if I could replace the Brushes on this Bad one it would be fine.

BTW I hope the Fostex E2 purchase worked out well. I believe that is a 3 head machine, so you can monitor off the repro head while mixing--that's a very nice option, it let's you hear the real effect of the tape on it's recording. Plus the machine would come in handy during tracking for tape delay (either as an echo effector or a predelay for reverbs).

Hey, I checked that out today.. Great Tape delay, playing back I jsut had one channel on Sync and the other on Repro... wild.

Got an E-16 this weekend. The best deal yet. Got lots of goodies with it too. 6 Quantegy 456 1/2 " Tapes from 1999-2004. 4 Multicores and a Tape Head Cleaning set.

To save Tracks for the rest I suppose? What style of music are you recording?

My music is like folk rock. Generally speaking. Yeah it's to save tracks. Right now I'm actually using a 4 track. So, pretty much have to. But even if I had an 8 track I keep it to one or two tracks. As long as you got a good mix going in you're good.

Back