• watching TV?

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • listening to other music?

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • after reading a thread here?

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • kinda of an afterthought?

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • periodically(orhoweveryouspellthat)thru a day or more?

Votes: 23 56.1%

• Total voters

turtlishous

seconds please!
i was wondering, from a recent thread, when do you get your best ideas for songs?

poll to follow,

and i know that i will miss some options, as this is so individual!

yeah thats right.....i get them when i'm drunk.....sucks being sober......so every now and again i will tie one on and write a tune:) or post a thread like this :D

When practising old stuff and writing new stuff I usually finish up just messing around as a break, and sometimes I hit on something I like - then it either develops or it doesn't :)

Always sober, usually early in the day, usually while meesing with guitar, sometimes in the car driving, and never after sex. It seems I've been writing a lot lately.

i need to be a complete out of control nervous drunken frustrated emotional wreck to write a song, but then i need to be sober and calm to perform it... bit of a fucking bitch really

turtlishous said:
i was wondering, from a recent thread, when do you get your best ideas for songs?

poll to follow,

and i know that i will miss some options, as this is so individual!

At times, a specific happening will strike me. Other times, an idea will come to me purely by happenstance. Then again, sometimes I'll be listening to music, and a specific lyric will strike me a certain way and give me an idea.

When my hopes and dreams have again been beaten into dirt the color of shit, and I have once again lost all hope in humanity and have forgotten that a sun ever could have existed.

Where's that option?

Always when I'm too busy to write it down. :(

In the shower, while walking through campus, etc.

All teh time...ideas are always in my head...and sometimes, they escape..... :D

I did read a few threads in the Cave, and write, and record a song in about 2 hours...while drunk, and 2am.... :p

Typically I will start working on a song on the weekend when the overall concept of the tune has spent some time developing in the back of my mind.

Once the music is structured then I work on lyrics, usually during lunchtime at work.

Then I track and mix it as quickly as possible, which for me is about six weeks. Any longer and the song will start to lose its fire.

A song will take me no long than an hour.

I start with my chord sequence/riff, and make sure it is well rounded and flows nicely.

Then i sing jibberish over the top untill i find something hooky.

I then re-arrange my hook to lyricly suite a life situation.

I get about two songs written a week using this method.

this thread never really had much of a life but has seem to come back up from the grave again....you been messin with search ZED?:) funny how that happins thoough cuz i'm in the midddle of writting a tune right now and was wondering about this...then i took a brake and heres old faithfull.....:D

Of late I come up with chord progression ideas sitting on the lounge strumming my semi acoustic while my wife is trying to watch telly. If she's not around then whilst doing the same as above but watching the cricket is a good option.
Seasonal writing then? No, non cricket season here is cricket season in the UK or S. Africa or the Carribean. & yes it often starts out with.."Yes, I don't like cricket... I love it.(dreadlock holiday)".
Lyrically? I have a wad of stuff from my drinking days that are a great starting point - failed poetry as a starting point for songs - well, it can be art if you can tart it up with a musical backdrop.
There was also a period when my trade union activities stimulated a lot of lyric ideas but I had to turn that tap off as Billy Bragg does it SO much better.
These days I just play with words and enjoy collaborative writing or, even better as the pressure is off, editing the writing of others.
My handwriting is so poor these days that writing has gone through typing to straight up word processing which can be handing for editing.
My biggest problem is, as said by someone else somewhere - I can't sing a note so creating a melody is much tougher. I usually wait for a vocalist to do that for me.

I can never predict when the muse will strike. I usually need some kind of instrument in front of me, though once I wrote an entire song in my head while walking home from work and as soon as I got home I began working out all the parts. I think I recorded it the next day.

Hey I like polls where you can pick more than 1 choice.

For some reason Sundays are a good time for me. Yeah and a wee toot doesn't do any harm either

Sometimes, just a word or phrase, I read from far away places in the dead of night..... :D

Stars aloft, in a sky of black abyss
Look through the night, you'll get a glimpse
Sometimes falling, from their place
Burnt out fire, loss of grace
Lost forever in the ocean of space.

Beyond redemption
What does that mean
You fell below
You soared above
I'm told there's answers
In the arms of love

Back