What's your "to go" eq?

We all have our preferences. I would find 4-track analog a limited resource. But then I've used 4-track cassette more than a little so I know how it compared to using a computer. I get the feeling your resistance to digital is fear of the unknown. That's not a put down, it's something I'm dealing with. I hate the idea of giving up my familiar old analog mixer and rack of gear for live work, but a 23lb digital mixer does way more than my 200lb rack. I just don't want to relearn live mixing.

Well it's not quite so unknown anymore while learning Cakewalk. Perhaps my biggest prob encountered while learning digital better has been leaving enough headroom. I've become so tuned in to getting a flat responce, then pushin for max volume using inadequite amps or speakers at hand. (I'm a sub for other peoples/bars systems.. They like me caus I don't blow stuff up and do quick changes in multi-band venues without feedback)(my rack is bout 200# too) Even a shnidbitten giggle of a flicker of red light (highly technical I know) will wreck my recording attempt. Downtown, when they want a live recording too, I rarely get enough time to set it up properly and don't have the experience to do it quickly. I get compliments on Quick change and good sound but I usually screw up the recording.
(Squirrel !)
So I think I'm agreeing with you bouldersoundguy .

wow, I fijjered I'd be butchered by Rami, Greg L, or Miroslav by now! (happy face)
No, I don't think you're bullies.., and ya'll are pretty funny sometimes! hahaha

People who are sincere in their search for knowledge usually get treated really well here. If someone spouts some garbage or says the opposite of what they said in another post, or etc. etc. they sometimes get a "reality check". I've gotten one or two myself. I just try to learn from them...:)

Well it's not quite so unknown anymore while learning Cakewalk. Perhaps my biggest prob encountered while learning digital better has been leaving enough headroom. I've become so tuned in to getting a flat responce, then pushin for max volume using inadequite amps or speakers at hand. (I'm a sub for other peoples/bars systems.. They like me caus I don't blow stuff up and do quick changes in multi-band venues without feedback)(my rack is bout 200# too) Even a shnidbitten giggle of a flicker of red light (highly technical I know) will wreck my recording attempt. Downtown, when they want a live recording too, I rarely get enough time to set it up properly and don't have the experience to do it quickly. I get compliments on Quick change and good sound but I usually screw up the recording.
(Squirrel !)
So I think I'm agreeing with you bouldersoundguy .

That all sounds familiar to me. I learned a long time ago that the more things you try to do at a gig the more things you'll not get right at the gig. Eventually I put an HD24 in my rack and permanently patched it into the system. All I had to do to record was power up, insert a drive, create a project and song, arm tracks and hit record. As long as I kept my gains under control I didn't have to think about the recording again until the set break, then stop recording, create new song, start recording.

If you find Cakewalk difficult try another DAW. They each have a style and not every DAW works for every user. I'm a big fan of Sony Vegas, which is also a video editor. Reaper seems pretty good. In fact, I use some of the Reaper plugins when mixing in Vegas.

wow, I fijjered I'd be butchered by Rami, Greg L, or Miroslav by now! (happy face)
No, I don't think you're bullies.., and ya'll are pretty funny sometimes! hahaha

Butchering got messy, and then there's all that clean-up afterwards.
Letting it go into self-combustion is more amusing....and then we just let the wind carry away the ashes. ;)

Not to mention...I'm a tape guy too, so you know...gotta cut you some slack... :)... but really, fear of digital is pointless.
Dive in and make the most of it. Run a hybrid setup if need be....it's all good.

I have one hardware graphic EQ in my racks, a DBX unit...it's been collecting dust for about 25 years! :D

I would have sold it off on eBay...but the most I would get for it is maybe $50..if that...so I use it as rack filler until I need another rack spot for something else. :)

I sold off my stereo 31-band EQ a few years ago .... yep, for $50 on ebay. It worked, but one of the lights on the sliders had burned out on me, so it wasn't cool anymore. :facepalm:

Back