Whats your guitar/amp setup?

Reco, you obviously don't know your guitar stuff. I don't care what anybody says about the POD, the fact is, you won't get a better tone than using a good amp. Any guitar player with an ear for tone will tell you that. And an ESP Ltd, from MARS??? That statement in itself shows how much you know about guitars and where to get em for the best price.

go suck you're self you little cock!
You probly cant even play you great and holy amp and guitar because you're too busy playing with you're self.
get real kid! If we could all aford to get great gear we would but some of use have to settle for stuff that works and whats wrong with mars they may not sell the best PRS and whatever the hell you think is great and special but they do sell some quality stuff oh and if the pod is such a bad thing then why do somany great guitar player use em now?
HUH? Smart ass!

[This message has been edited by reco (edited 03-27-2000).]

Oh i Forgot!
I have owned A:
Gibson lespaul,
Fender stratocaster,
Ibanez Jem 777,
A couple of ESP's,
a marshal stack,
a peavy 120watt stack
a fender bass man as well as
a black face princeton reverb.

and just about every pedal and processor out there, you obviously dont know you're guitar stuff little boy.
I have owned the best an know what they sound like and think the pod is a very good representation of the amps.

I think the kid here has never even pluged into a pod before so hes the one who dont know what he is talking about.

Nuff Said?

Does it really matter what's better? I'd have to argue that it's probably a subjective thing anyway. I think this thread was just started in fun to see wh owns what.

Some of us don't have the greatest gear, nor are the greatest players, but at least we enjoy playing (no matter how badly) and recording music (again, possibly on cheap gear, but still enjoying recording our music nevertheless.)

Hell, I'd like a POD, or a nice fender amp, actually, I'd just like any amp.

- gaffa

PS. I've got a second hand squier, a no-name bass, a 10w practise amp, and a homemade 100W amp (since deceased). So there. And out of $1500 i'd still have $1400 to spend on beer :)

i agree with gaffa. what sounds good is very subjective and dependent on so many different factors (style, application, taste...). it's tempting and easy to become a gear whore or an aspiring gear whore. we are are guilty of it. i say if you're happy with your sound and set up then great, you're sure to sleep easy. if you don't your sound, then just try everything, listen to everything, read everything and keep experimenting. there's no need to bash anyone about their setup (unless of course, there real assholes).
by the way, my setup is:
Guitars: old silvertone guitar, homemade warmoth swamp ash guitar, 1961 gretsch
amps: old rocktron progap preamp (this thing shouldn't sound good but it does - u can pick one up on e-bay fo like $75), rocktron velocity 300 power amp into 2 marshall 2x12s, also the silvetone amp in case for smaller gigs
$.02

same rig here my friend, no name shit, into a Marshall 8080 combo, MT-2 a wah and an old ross phaser, sounds way fuckin better than my friends 900 Godin, if you have soul, and can play like your hands were blessed by God himself, then fuck the eqipment and just play, to bad he spent his time shopping for a richy guitar while i was learning Eugenes Trick Bag from Crossraods. Im not sayin im the shit, im just saying i focus on the real task at hand, playing guitar.

Right on my soul brothas!
I have a Squire that sounds better than my Am. strat, i play it more.
If I exploded it was because of the KIDS aditude that he was in some way superior to us that dont have great gear and that I didnt know my guitar stuff, think kid I have play alot of guitars and know what im doing and happen think that the cheap is the best sounding and playing just ask a Famous guitarist what he has hiding in his closet Its probaly a cool old cheep guitar.

There's an advertisement for Saab automobiles that goes...
"People who test drive a Saab, usually buy a Saab."

Well, the same goes for the POD.
If you try it, you'll buy it.
(Hey! Pretty good slogan there, huh?)

"Happiness... is a warm POD" :)

Hey reco, I'm not tryin to show off my money. With that list of gear you say you've owned, you must've been able to scrounge up $1500 to get some decent equipment. Oh yeah, reco, name one of your famous guitarists. Just wondering who you think is a good player.

Well Vai Comes to mind he played a japan strat on "alien love secrets" and Satriani satch played $500 Kramer Pacer On "Surfing with the Alien" as well as all his albums.

And all the gear you see on my list, is stuff use to own when I had less responabilitys to take care of, but now I have a Car payment Rent Insurance....You know Grown up stuff..

Hey man I wasnt trying to cause a argument about this It was just an observation and maybee bad choice of words(sorry to cuss you out Just self defence about that "you dont know you're guitar stuff").

Oh yeah stevie Ray vaughn Played japanese strats too, not the most expesive.

Hey Reco, is there a reason that when a great guitarist (like Vai and Sat) plays a cheap guitar, he makes an album about aliens?
:)

this may be a little late but oh well. right now im playing an early sixties hagstrom 1 which i got for $175. it looks cheesy as hell but sounds pretty good. i run it into a proco rat (used $15) and then into a deluxe memory man ($99) and then into an old kustom lead 3 (used $120) and out to an ampeg 8x10 classic cab that i picked up for $250. not a monster sounding guitar just a nice warm rock sound that sings like a choir of angels (all for about $650). ive had quite a few other guitars and amps but none ive liked as much as what i have now. like every other piece of musical equipment its not what you have but what you can do with it. granted you cant polish a turd. youre not gonna make your crate gx 15 sound like a marshall stack but if your not looking for that sound and your gettin' pretty close to what you want out of your crate then rock it.

Yeah i guess there was a alien theme there, but satch said he used the kramer on all his albums.

kind of a cool story here. I play a les paul studio thru a crate vintage tube amp (circa '96) and use an old Korg a4 effects processor. The result is the WARMEST tone you will ever hear, and a great wall of fuzz when it works. I played a show and some kid asked to buy it, but I said no. Two years later, I saw the kid playing at a concert, but I didn't recognize him. But the cool part is he said he remembered me and my "Red Les Paul" - so at least I get the respect of other guitarists

I got ya all smoked.

Acoustic Gibson LG2 (1959) with an old DeArmond magnetic soundhole pickup (only scratches once going in). I have a custom bi-amp setup. One 1968 Motorola stereo amp wired directly into a second identical amp (we had two stereos that "died" at about the same time. They had BSR turntables so I know they're the best) so the first is like a preamp, see, and then the speaker out into this big chrome thing with a metal grille on it. All mounted on an old closet door. I built it in my bedroom.

Like I said. It smokes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nate:
Hey Ruebarb! Is the Korg A4 a rackmount?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope - it's an old floor based effects unit from '96. Not the most flexible, but pretty cool. I accidently spilled coke in it, so pedal 5 is sticky, but otherwise, it's cool. Don't know what I'll do when it breaks - Toneworks, I guess

If you want to hear what it sounds like, go to my ex-band's defunct web site - www.afterthedawn.com - go to the downloads link and download "Bandwagon" - (it's in a .zip file ) That's a general idea of what my tone is like, although I think the fuzz is toned down a tiny bit.

[This message has been edited by ruebarb (edited 04-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ruebarb (edited 04-05-2000).]

got a dano u2 300 dollars and a marshall jcm800 combo 600 dollars.(cool garage tones)
i got other guitars and amps but 300+600=900 dollars so there ya go

got a dano u2 300 dollars and a marshall jcm800 combo 600 dollars.(cool garage tones)
i got other guitars and amps but 300+600=900 dollars so there ya go

wow this is a long thread...anyway, i have to not include my 1999 PRS McCarty Archtop II natural double ten top with birds (sorry, i had to mention it), but under $1500 is:
84 Ibanez Artist "super edition" with coil taps and locking nut/tremolo - free given to me by my uncle when i started playing way back when
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212 - free, given to me by my parents one Christmas
crybaby - $25 bought it off a buy at a guitar show
boss dd3 - $75
Ernie Ball volume pedal - $100, bought the dang thing new (mistake, could have saved some money)
what do you think?

Back