what's your favorite cheap nice guitar

For the single coil; G&L ASAT, which is made in indonesia. $400-$500

For umbucking; Gibson SG-I, USA. $400.00. This guitar will deliever the output. The 500T is hot. Rock it will.

I wound up with a Goya acoustic a few years back. $60 at a pawn shop. Never heard of it, but rich, full sound for an apparent cheapie. Nice ring and sustain with EB slinkys. :)

Cool little electric was a charvel-lookin samick. Another pawn shop treasure for $80.

I got my son an Art & Lutherie parlor sized guitar new a few years ago for, I think, $160 - we use it all the time and it sounds great, plays great, and hasn't broken into several pieces.

I'm also fond of my Xaviere Strat-like guitar. Plays very well and sounds shit hot, seriously. Cost me $225 if I recall.

i'm surprised by the constant mention of the pacifica.... an ex room-mate left one here about a year ago and it's been sitting in a closet somewhere ever since, there were no strings on it so I never even picked it up, might be time to throw some strings on it:)

i'm surprised by the constant mention of the pacifica.... an ex room-mate left one here about a year ago and it's been sitting in a closet somewhere ever since, there were no strings on it so I never even picked it up, might be time to throw some strings on it:)

The best cheap guitars are the free ones. :D

I wouldn't let any unused Pacificas lay around idle--they're usually too good for that. A few years ago, I bought a new 312II--it was sweet, the tremolo even worked right.

Epiphone Les Paul Jr. 90, and Squier Bullet Special. The LP Jr. has just a bridge P90, one volume and one tone control, wrap around stop/bridge tail piece. The Bullet Special has just a bridge humbucker, and just a volume knob, hard tail Strat bridge. In both cases, I paid $100.00, and I'd bought the Epiphone on a whim. The Squier I'd had previous experience with the model, having nearly knocked myself out of my shoes and socks, when I had one plugged into a Fender Twin Reverb. With the Epi, having bought it through Musician's Friend, I was pleasently surprised when it arrived, and I played it for the first time.

I've decided I'm going to leave the Epi mostly stock, except to replace the black speed knobs with ones for a Fender Super-Sonic combo to match the cream P90 cover and output jack plate. The Squier will eventually get a TV Jones Power'Tron, and only because a year later I'd bought a Fender So Cal Speed Shop Strat, and the Squire can't keep up.

Matt

Epiphone Les Paul Jr. 90, and Squier Bullet Special. The LP Jr. has just a bridge P90, one volume and one tone control, wrap around stop/bridge tail piece. The Bullet Special has just a bridge humbucker, and just a volume knob, hard tail Strat bridge. In both cases, I paid $100.00, and I'd bought the Epiphone on a whim. The Squier I'd had previous experience with the model, having nearly knocked myself out of my shoes and socks, when I had one plugged into a Fender Twin Reverb. With the Epi, having bought it through Musician's Friend, I was pleasently surprised when it arrived, and I played it for the first time.

I've decided I'm going to leave the Epi mostly stock, except to replace the black speed knobs with ones for a Fender Super-Sonic combo to match the cream P90 cover and output jack plate. The Squier will eventually get a TV Jones Power'Tron, and only because a year later I'd bought a Fender So Cal Speed Shop Strat, and the Squire can't keep up.

Matt

I just modded one of those bullet specials...fun little thing

Excellent! Pickups aren't as good as, say, a US strat but it's a damn fine guitar and very versatile with the H/S/S and trem.

The pickups on the newer 112v models are, by all accounts, pretty damn good.

Pacificas (and Yamahas in general) are consistently good guitars in my experience.

The PRS SE's are excellent guitars. Change out the bridge pickup with a Tremonti pickup (uber-hot, great sounding pickup) and you have a monster that sounds/looks good and you aren't afraid to scratch it.

Back