What's would be the difference between recording interface and a portable studio?

I think you misunderstood me, Jim. I'm saying that an interface and a standalone recorder share most of their components in common-XLR jacks, faders, preamps, headphone circuitry, power supplys, USB port, etc. The only thing an interface has that a standalone recorder doesn't have is a different chip. If you've already got a standalone recorder, it doesn't take that much more to make it an interface also. That's basically what Zoom has been doing, first with the H4n, and now with the larger, more powerful R16.-Richie

Yes:
I think I did misunderstand you.
I agree with most of what you say though.
Zoom has moved towards satisfying users like myself who want to use both technologies. (About 6 months too late for me)
Yamaha, Roland & Korg have all recognized that their market is shrinking.
Roland handed off their stand alones to a subsidiary. Boss?
Yamaha simply stopped manufacturing particular models.
Korg stopped producing its flagships but have kept the D3200 in production for the time being.
Tascam has taken up the practise of upgrading each model, MK I, MK II and now "The Neo" in order to generate its own market. Pretty sad really if you pay top dollar for their latest model only to have them "Upgrade" on you a week later.
Anyway: All 4 brands are excellent and all 4 manufacturers (I'm sure, I'm missing some) have recognized that their's is now a limited market.

I feel your pain, Jim. I recorded my first album entirely on a Roland VS1824CD. It *was* state of the art then. I wish it could do a bunch of stuff that my Zoom H4n does. I can still do better complex time-based editing on the Roland than I can do in Pro Tools, because the Roland is the Devil I know. I'm learning, though.-Richie

I looked at a Roland.
All the bells and whistles but the fan was too noisy and the technology was limited.
Settled for a Korg D3200 and love it.
If the learning curve on the Korg wasn't quite so steep, I'd abandon the PC entirely.
The problem is though, that it's difficult to devote the time to learning something on the stand alone when you already know how to do it in a DAW.

Just a note- the fan on a Roland is not a problem. There's a switch in one of the menus that turns it off whenever record is enabled. Like I said-It's the Devil I know.-Richie

Well here's a suggestion.
Unless you go for the Zoom R16, even if you decide on a stand alone studio recorder, you're still going to need a sound card (audio interface).
So start there.
Google "Tweakheadz" for a guide. :)

Back