What's would be the difference between recording interface and a portable studio?

Chammy

Ok, I'm almost ready to buy one of the 2 but, I was wondering what advantages both would have over the other.

The BR600 Digital Multitrack Recorder (would need something to bounce into a computer for mastering)

vs

1 PRESONUS 2x2 AudioBox or 6x8 Firebox USB

I posted a thread earlier that ruled out not buying one of the Target USB cables.

Oh, and in studio mics I am looking at the Audio Techna 2020 or the AKG 120. Yes, i am building a budget studio :/

Well if you're using the interface you get the simplicity and power of a computer, if you're using the multitrack you get the portability.

Keep in mind that laptops are portable too.

The Digital workstation is a self contained solution. It's limited to track counts and effect that can be used but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Since it's self contained yo never have to worry about compatability or software updates causing you problems etc but if you want more effects or a different sounding compressor/EQ/Saturation plug or more tracks you are stuck or you need to purchase addtional hardware units.

The interface to computer option opens up a lot more power: Almost limitless numbers of tracks, third party effects, various choices of recording sfotware etc etc etc.
However this option also opens up a can of worms with software/hardware/operating system compatability, endless arguments about which VST effects/synths are the best, which DAWs are the best etc and what can sometimes seem like a crippling amount of choice and opportunities for expense and about 9 million things to distract you from actually making any music

Pick your poison, with practice either option will give you nice results.

Last edited:
I use both.
The recorder is best at recording.
The computer is best for editing.
If I had to make the choice between one or the other, I couldn't. :)

Because that what it's made to do.
No latency issues at all.
The quality depends entirely on whichever brand you buy.
I have a Korg. Other good brands would be Roland, Yamaha, Tascam etc. and not in any particular order.
Some have better preamps than others and all are fairly cumbersome when it comes to editing.
That's where the computer comes in. It was designed to perform various calculations and does so in a user friendly fashion.
I've been very impressed by what I've read about the Zoom R16 but suspect that they may be guilty of giving that machine too many tasks and in so doing, it does everything well but nothing great.
Try recording with a really good stand alone and you'll know what I mean.
Try editing with one and you'll be just as quick to note that the PC or Mac is much easier/better.

"so are interfaces, and ftr, i have had zero latency issues with my hammerfall card."
I spent a couple of years with interfaces and am very familiar with their strengths and weaknesses.
That's how I reached my conclusion.
You don't have to buy into it.
If you're happy with your interface, good on you.

On a side note, I bought the Audio Technica 2020 a couple years back when Musician's Friend bundled it with an AT 2021 instrument mic. Great mics. I absolutely love them!

Get a Mac and an interface. My PreSonus is wonderful. You'll love it. Don't limit yourself with a piece of hardware.

i wouldn't buy a stand alone. what happens when you want to edit? buy an interface and a laptop.
You can edit fine on a stand alone. PC are easier for editing though.
I have the Korg D3200. I'd hardly call that "Limiting".

i wouldn't buy a stand alone. what happens when you want to edit? buy an interface and a laptop.

You can edit on a standalone. That's half their selling point. I've been having great fun with editing on one. I don't dispute the computer is the superior athlete. Apart from flipping a tape over and recording backwards, the standalone does all I need it to.

*bites finger nails* ugh, now I am totally stumped on what I should get...... I had the mic crises out of the way, well almost, now this :S

It's a leap of faith, Chammy.
Why not go with the Zoom R16?
Best of both worlds.

TeyshaBlue:
7.5So, overall, it seems to be a pretty nice unit that doesn't excel at anything, but does a nice job at many different things.
Pretty well sums up what I thought however, I'm listening to your recording right now.
No way that was recorded at 16 bit. Right?
It's rocking the house, here.
Very full, very warm, bassey. Love it!

It's a leap of faith, Chammy.
Why not go with the Zoom R16?
Best of both worlds.

TeyshaBlue:

Pretty well sums up what I thought however, I'm listening to your recording right now.
No way that was recorded at 16 bit. Right?
It's rocking the house, here.
Very full, very warm, bassey. Love it!

44.1 / 16bit baby!:cool:

Back