What's up with the new JoeMeek line?

Yo Coplinger, you can ask Alan yourself on "that other board". Here's the link-

http://www.recording.org/

I did, and Alan thinks the MQ3 will be out first, then the new twinQ "before the first of the year". I asked him just that question, and you can read his answer.-Richie

Well, if I answer this, I have to say something about the product, so I guess that is SPAM..So be forwarned. I am Spamming!!!

Actually, it is called the threeQ, and it is finished and on the way to production.

The TwinQ is also done, and will be on the way to production in two weeks.

More info is at www.joemeek.com

The trade-in policy will be let out of the bag when we are ready with lots of inventory. The threeQ is the only unit without the digital option.

Reason is, the digital card is not cheap to make even in large quanitites. It is standard on the more expensive models, and no, not an option on the threeQ.

Target is $299.99, with a street price of $179.99 to $199.99. We will do our best to keep it there.

Alan, man, that 1Q looks like every thing I wanted! (...and suggested to you, when deciding on options... ;) )

What will the estimated street price be? And will Soundsense be the European distributor?

Speeddemon said:
Alan, man, that 1Q looks like every thing I wanted! (...and suggested to you, when deciding on options... ;) )

What will the estimated street price be? And will Soundsense be the European distributor?

Well, we hope the US Street Price will be $600.00, so about £365.00 is about right. I have no idea of Soundsense will be a dealer or not. Digital Village, Turnkey, Raper & Wayman, and quite a few other dealers have all told me they want to sell all of the new Joemeek stuff.

We just did a full on board shoot out with the old MQ3 and the new threeQ. We did audio and plot tests all in house. I think the new threeQ kicked ass over the old one in every way, but you know guys this is coming from me, so it is just my own opinion. Everyone else there agreed with me, but in the field, it is funny how opinions differ.

What I did like that there was no distortion on the new unit. The old compressor had a tendency to distort, even at low settings. The new one is right there and has no distortion, but has the Opto sound. The EQ is miles better, and the mic amp is night and day. The new one opens up the mids on every mic we tried, a huge difference.

Anyway, none for sale yet, so just information from me....

as the happy owner of the VC3Q and a MQ3, im very anxious to hear this new Q3......

if it kicks the VC3Q and the MQ3's ass, Ill be the judge of that.......hopefully it still has the Meek sound.........

maybe i should let my cheapskate ass off of a few $$$ and get the 1Q........:D

carry on with the spamming........

....and meanwhile, TFPro is selling off their green stock.

tfprostudiochannelsm.jpg

Strange Leaf said:
....and meanwhile, TFPro is selling off their green stock.

tfprostudiochannelsm.jpg

Who is selling this box. I do not see it on the TFPro Website. In either case, our Joemeek is not that Joemeek anymore, its just that I own all the rights to that design and all the trademarks associated with it. That unit should not be offered for sale, so any assistance you can offer is appreciated.

To answer an earlier question, the new meek is not an old Meek. The new Meek is much cleaner. Just in the mic pre and output amplifier, when you compare them side by side, the new Meek is very open, and has no distortion like the old Meek does. The new Meek has way more headroom and gain, without distortion.

When you kick in the EQ, the old Meek reacts much differently. As soon as you turn up the bass on the old Meek, you hear a muddiness and a mild distortion being added to the signal. Its not bass you are hearing. The new Meek is much different. All the bands are peaking bands, so bass is bass, and it does not impeed on the original sound with color or distortion. It does become way more musical and much more useful.

The compressor, well again, each setof ears is different but the new Meek does not immediately go into distortion. It controls, warms, and sits in the back, so on vocals, you do not have to worry about too much color when the louder transients start kicking in like you did with the old Meek. If you want it in your face, no problem, turn the threshold up, but even then, it is a sound that is not so obtrusive as it used to be.

So will everyone like the new ones more. I suspect that even more new Joemeek fans will be born with the new Meek. I also expect to see many of the old fans like this box better, but there will always be a handful of those who want the old Meek back.

Well, with the Great American Trade in, I expect we will have plenty of vintage Meek to sell to those who want them. We will have a couple of prototypes of the new Meek at AES and you can compare them to the old Meek right there.

So, we all will see soon enough..

interesting, cause the distortion is why i liked that EQ. and the compressor. heck the whole thing. you sure you arent going to kill that special meek je ne sais quoi?

are the new ones transformer based on the input like the old ones? i always thought that all that box needed was a better input transformer... little TOO cloudy sometimes...

did you ditch that "enhancer"? never found a use for that.

sorry, didnt read the new info page first. very clever with the switchable input transformer! that seems like a great feature.

can you do that on the 3q. didnt see any switch for that on the front.

alanhyatt said:
The trade-in policy will be let out of the bag when we are ready with lots of inventory. The threeQ is the only unit without the digital option.

Cool! :)

I've got a VC6Q that I would be interested in upgrading.. I'm looking forward to hearing about the policy.

<<I would be interested in upgrading>>

And Alan, I on the other hand would like to hear about the "vintage meek bottom feeders network" that you're planning to set up for some of this traded in gear--drop me a line off-board and let me know the details as they emerge.

cheers,
wade

eeldip said:
interesting, cause the distortion is why i liked that EQ. and the compressor. heck the whole thing. you sure you arent going to kill that special meek je ne sais quoi?

did you ditch that "enhancer"? never found a use for that.

Well, this is an interesting topic. The issue is, there is a small percentage of the market that really like the Meeks. It has become more a cult type product, and it seems over the years, it is being used less by their owners.

The majority of the market did not like the Meek for several reasons. They all seemed to like the compressors for some specific application, but not on many others.

So we took the good parts of Meek, and improved everything else. I think, the majority will like the new Meeks. There will be some old vintage hold outs, but if that is what they want, we will have old units.

All I can say is that in critical listening tests, the new threeQ and TwinQ simply kick ass on the old ones, yet when you get them aggressive, they have that old Meeks sound, but at the same time, when you lighted them, the distortion does go away, where that did not happen with the old Meek.

So time will tell, but I think the new Meek is right on the money...My Opinion...

Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group

Back