What's the story with Epiphone?

Sometimes the joy of having an instrument that gets you excited can be a great motivator.
That's how it is for me. I'm junky enough that I'd probably sound and play the same no matter what guitar is in my hands. I don't need a real Les Paul nor do I do it any justice by banging around on it. But I sure am happy to have it and it's a joy to play.

Dreams are meant to be dreamt and attainment of them is meant to be attempted properly or avoided fully.
That said, I have an Epiphone Sheraton II. It's pretty good. I didn't like it at 1st, (why would I own it then? Simple, my guitar was stolen & I was given a VERY limited price & provider range so I took the best I could from that), but after changing the strings I really enjoy it. The pickup toggle switch needs to be replaced, (the weakest link in many an Epi), and I ought to do the pick ups when I can afford it but I'm very happy with it as is. With new toggle & PUps I think I'd be extremely happy. Part of the issue with the PUps, I've found, is that the metal isn't very good and corrodes easily underneath the electroplating.
Oh, the one I have cost a fortune down under (AUS$1200) so you can extrapolate to get the idea of the cost of a Gibson.

That's how it is for me. I'm junky enough that I'd probably sound and play the same no matter what guitar is in my hands. I don't need a real Les Paul nor do I do it any justice by banging around on it. But I sure am happy to have it and it's a joy to play.

I'm like this with my guitars. I have a couple of decent electrics and a decent acoustic that my skill levels really don't warrant. But, I like them and they do give me some inspiration to play and even try different things and play a little differently. I kind of feel guilty for having them when there are probably more deserving players out there, but I earned the money to get them, so why not.

Rami, I would get yourself a Gibson. If that's the dream, then only that will satisfy! A standard Gibson SG isn't crazy money, anyway. They go for less than 2/3 the price of a LP Standard over here.

Pretty sure I'll get a Gibson. There are good points on both sides, and I might not even hear the difference. But I probably wob't be satisfied unless I get the real thing.

And $600-800 isn't THAT expensive.

Thanx brothers. :cool:

Hey Rami, get one of these! :D

wang.7.jpg

HAHA! Nah, I'd play with it too much and forget how to drum. :D

That's a very real possibility. You just got a new amp, and with a new guitar you will be playing that thing all the time. Since I started piling up guitar stuff, I haven't been drumming for fun as much. Gigs, band practice, and recordings still happen, but the drumming for fun has been replaced by loud guitar. :o

Yeah they're a little hot for my tastes, but they do kick out some rock. I prefer more "medium" output humbuckers. The Burstbuckers in my LP was a big selling point for me.

Burstbuckers are what I would have went for if I hadn't already had the SD 1959's in the V. I bought the LP and swapped pups between the 2. I love burstbuckers. The all mahogany body Gibson LP's with the burstbuckers is a hard deal to beat if you want a good bang for the buck IMO.
I don't see a lot of used ones for sale though

Burstbuckers are what I would have went for if I hadn't already had the SD 1959's in the V. I bought the LP and swapped pups between the 2. I love burstbuckers. The all mahogany body Gibson LP's with the burstbuckers is a hard deal to beat if you want a good bang for the buck IMO.
I don't see a lot of used ones for sale though

Mine's got the BurstBucker 3 bridge and 57 Classic neck. I'm not much of a neck pickup guy, but I think the BB3 is a fantastic bridge pickup. I don't know if it's my amps, the guitar electronics, the pickup itself, or a combo of all of it, but the BB3 is really responsive to picking dynamics and it cleans up beautifully with the guitar vol rolled back. Even with the amp set to have ridiculous amounts of gain. The guitar will go from sparkly chimey cleans to rip your face off with a twist of the vol knob. Not that I ever use it that way, but it's cool as hell that it will do it. And with the split coil, it does a pretty convincing Fender single coil sound. Great guitar. My buddy's 498T and 500T pickups in his LP's won't clean up to save your life. Those are some hot pickups.

I had a Gibson SG that I sold a few years ago because I got in a money crunch ($300...a "I need to sell it TODAY" price). It sounded fantastic and looked cool and when I saw it I just had to have it!
Sitting there on a stool in the music store I played it and it played great and had a killer tone.

That being said...
I HATED that guitar for any type of gigging or jamming situation. No wonder the headstock get broken on these so often...the neck is so long it's like strapping on a freakin surfboard. When I turned around to tweak my amp I was taking out 2 or 3 mic stands ...hitting the bass player in the elbow...knocking drinks off the top of amps...total stage demolition.
LMAO...it was bad man.
Also the guitar hat a tendency to roll over forward so the mic stand will ding the top when you let go. Also the neck is so long that when you let go of the neck the guitar rotates and the head stock drops and points to the floor. If a midget played one and let go of the neck the headstock would probably actually hit the floor...seeing as the neck is 5 feet long.
LOL

Also the guitar hat a tendency to roll over forward so the mic stand will ding the top when you let go. Also the neck is so long that when you let go of the neck the guitar rotates and the head stock drops and points to the floor. If a midget played one and let go of the neck the headstock would probably actually hit the floor...seeing as the neck is 5 feet long.
LOL

Lol. Yeah that's what I was saying earlier. They're cool guitars, always been one of my favorites, but they don't seem to hang from a strap worth a shit. The shape doesn't allow for a better strap button spot. Maybe the back of the top horn? I wonder if anyone has ever tried that.

That being said...
I HATED that guitar for any type of gigging or jamming situation. No wonder the headstock get broken on these so often...the neck is so long it's like strapping on a freakin surfboard. When I turned around to tweak my amp I was taking out 2 or 3 mic stands ...hitting the bass player in the elbow...knocking drinks off the top of amps...total stage demolition.
LMAO...it was bad man.
LOL

AN-N-NND because of all this they also don't stay in tune very well. That long flexible neck means that if you put and back or forth pressure on the neck while playing you flex it like a tremelo and they go outta tune.

I thought maybe that's something they'd fixed somehow but a friend bought a new one just a year ago and it won't stay in tune for gigging.
He thought a good set-up would fix it ...... I told him no because yada yada yada. Guess who was right again!!??

AN-N-NND because of all this they also don't stay in tune very well. That long flexible neck means that if you put and back or forth pressure on the neck while playing you flex it like a tremelo and they go outta tune.

I thought maybe that's something they'd fixed somehow but a friend bought a new one just a year ago and it won't stay in tune for gigging.
He thought a good set-up would fix it ...... I told him no because yada yada yada. Guess who was right again!!??

They are quite possibly the worst guitar ever made for tuning stability.. I get loads of inquiries about making em stay in tune. These days I just tell em to get a different guitar...

Back