What's the hum/buzz coming from? Electric Guitar

derekp

Recording my electric guitar via line-in into Behringer mixer. What's the source of the hum/buzz?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• guitar - whats wrong.mp3
    477.5 KB
To little level. Remember guitars are not line level, which is around .7v to 1.4v, depending on the source. The instrument level socket on some interfaces is matched to guitars better. If you have a mixer, the line level just has to have the gain turned up too much and this 8s where the hiss comes from, and the burble sound is the low level data probably from a usb connection.

a DI box will let you plug the guitar into the mixer mic inputs which should match better.

I'll look into the DI Box. I'm running a Behringer mixer into my audio interface. No USB on mixer. What's weird is I got some good takes doing it this way before this happened.

If you have a couple of cables you can destroy, you could always join an XLR male to a jack. Impedances are wrong but it will let you access the mic preamp in the mixer.

That is odd because only the other day I ran a mex Strat through a line input on a Behrry X1202 and got very satisfactory results. Yes, the low Z will bugger the HF response but I cant hear up there anyway! None of that burbling crap.

I shall now repeat the exercise and post the results.

Dave.

The guitar is in ch 1 of the 1202 with the gain advanced to about 4 o'clock and the channel fader to about 2 o'clock. That feeds a MOTU M4 rear line ins 3/4 from the RCA outs on the mixer.

As I recall from the other day it is all quiet and lovely (except I can't play guitar) Noise floor is down at around -60dBFS which is rather good I would say for a single coil guitar?

Dave.

Attachments

• 2023-10-28 strat into mixer.mp3
    1.7 MB
Back