What's the highest priority rack device?

rweiss

Well I want to start moving onward and expanding our limitations. As of now we plug everything directly into our Firepod, which sends it all into Sonar. Which external piece of equipment would give us more quality? Basically which is highest priority? External compressor/reverb unit/mixer? I'd like something that can be used to upgrade the quality of all basic instruments (drums, guitar, bass, vocals). I'd just like some opinions on where to go next. Anything will help, thanks.

IMHO, the most critical piece of outboard gear is a kickass 2 channel mic preamp. The signal chain starts at the beginning, and the mics and preamps are critical. The pres in the Firepod are in the "OK" range, but light years from great.
Bad news- great preamps cost a bunch of money, but they are one of the major differences between recordings that are "OK", and ones that are great.-Richie

One route might be to take a look at two channels of better conversion and preamps, since most tracking after drums is 2 channels at a time anyhow. But I wouldn't do the preamps without the better conversion as you're not going to hear as much difference. The Firepod is the best bang for the buck device on the market in my opinion, but as Richie already said it's good not great.

Get 2 stellar channels of great, it will net you a huge difference in the clarity and definition of your songs. If your budget is too low to net much difference, I'd sink it into better instruments if there's room for improvement there.

My $0.02

War

I think that decent monitoring is a worthwhile thing. If you've got passive monitors then you might consider getting an upgrade on the power amp.

Quality mic preamps and compression/limiting probably come in at No. 2 for me as possible additions to the rack.

I've been told the FMR RNLA is fantastic.

Last edited:
You know what, I didnt' even think of a better 2-channel preamp. We've got nice monitors. I think I'll hunt out some nice preampage. Thanks a lot guys.

Some good quality two-channel pres that should provide you with a noticable sound quality improvement:

A-Designs MP-2 (own it and LOVE it)
Sebatron
Neve Portico
Seventh Circle Audio kit
Hamptone
Earthworks Lab102

These will all run roughly $900-$1500, depending on which model you choose. There are other options out there, but these units generally receive nothing but great reviews. Hunt for used gear - the savings can be quite suprising.

Good luck!

rweiss said:
Well I want to start moving onward and expanding our limitations.

I would think removing limitations rather than making them larger may be of some benefit to you. :p :p :D :D

Sorry couldn't resist

ozraves said:
I think that decent monitoring is a worthwhile thing. If you've got passive monitors then you might consider getting an upgrade on the power amp.

Quality mic preamps and compression/limiting probably come in at No. 2 for me as possible additions to the rack.

I've been told the FMR RNLA is fantastic.
i totally agree about the monitoring bit. it's often overlooked and the rroom too.
microphones are about second i'd think good conversion and then quality preamps and you should be ready for level two. then comes level three which may involve a billiards table if you want to get good results from the artist.don't overlook your instruments either.

Back