What's the deal with waves iLok now?

Chris Shaeffer said:
Holy crap. That's almost as good as digging out an old jacket and finding a $20 in the pocket.

Thanks!
Chris
I found something in an old jacket once, but it didn't feel like $20 and it tried to bite me.

Hehee, I love posting 80000 times in a row.

But I did resolve my Waves problem, and can now only knock the stupidity of the registration.

Apparently, the plugs don't work on Intel Macs yet. I have an Intel Mac. I didn't know this at point-of-purchase, so I'm dumb. But Universal versions are coming out within a month, I was told by the rep.

i'm verry pleased by the massey plugs.

the comp gets much use.
the eq is good for some things.
the limiter kicks ass, if you like the thing it does to the stereo field (and i do)

The massey plugs also aren't universal, yet. Steve's waiting for Apple's intel desktop and with HD support before making the switch. (sigh)

I'll have to download the PC versions and run PT on the Windows partition of the new mac. I already tried running PT in a Parallels XP box. No go.

-C

http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=2 <----I used these through the trial period, excellant!!! $399 for the compressor and EQ was kind of pricey though, and I finally went with a used UAD-1 for about the same price that had some of the pay for plugs already authorized. 1176LN, LA-2A, Pultec, Cambridge EQ, Dream Verb, and Nigel get used the most around here in that order, all are quality plugs. I want to buy the neve EQ plug and haven't used my trial period on it yet, I am just waiting for the right moment...

this seems to be turning a lot of customers away from waves
i see threads like these more and more often on various boards

You have to give it to them, they make great plugins.

But thanks to piracy, they overreact with this bullshit authorization crap, and more people turn to piracy. I'd like if it was linked to the Motherboard instead of a dongle, so if you need to upgrade your machine, you'd shoot off an email to waves, tell them your upgrading, and they'd reregister you accordingly.
Still a little trouble, but less than now.

I'm ignoring the fact that with the dongle, you can take it to other studios, download the plugs, and run it, but I don't think that's an issue as every bigger studio and their mothers have some sort of Waves plugin, even if it's the RFridge.

Back