WHat's the deal with A/D/A and outboard Pres?

But are you running your outboard pres into the 1/4 jacks on the fireface?
If you're running them into the XLR jacks, the signal is probably going into the mic pres, which won't sound as good.

If you have a good mic going into good pres, I'd be suprised if the Firepod didn't do a pretty decent job with the conversion. I'm going to wager you'd have to spend a lot more to hear a big difference at that stage.

Craig

If you have a good mic going into good pres, I'd be suprised if the Firepod didn't do a pretty decent job with the conversion. I'm going to wager you'd have to spend a lot more to hear a big difference at that stage.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the Firepod, but to get something a whole lot better you're going to be in the $3,000 range by the time you factor in some way to interface with a PC.

Frank

Yeah, I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the Firepod, but to get something a whole lot better you're going to be in the $3,000 range by the time you factor in some way to interface with a PC.

Frank

That's about right for an Aurora 8 rig by the time you add card and cables and a monitor controller. Apogee would run you more. You could do it cheaper if you only wanted two channels of good conversion, but I don't know if that is enough for you. I don't know that the converters on a Fireface or Yamaha N8 are all that much better than what you have (or at least enough better to warrant spending the money). Maybe someone who has used them and the Firepod can chime in. Otherwise, if I was looking at moderate priced all in one boxes that could accomodate outboard gear and run on a PC, those would merit a close look. I see that the price has dropped $200 on the N8 as well which makes it a pretty good deal IMHO.

Back