Whats the best way to treat this space?

ThaArtist

My space is weird and I just want to improve it...

I need to use foambymail.com so I need to know whether to use the pyramid style or wedge style and 1" 2" 3" 4" etc. I'm thinking I need to do the whole ceiling (should probably be one inch because of head room space) and maybe the whole length of the wall behind the speaker monitors (not the whole wall vertically?)

And smaller square wedge piece for the top angle?

100_4912Small.jpg

100_4913Small.jpg

Heck maybe I need to foam the whole space?

Whats the best option from foambymail.com? Im on a "whatevers the cheapest" budget so sorry I cant do huge professional acoustical control applications. Foambymail is cheapest.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks guys!

EDIT:
new image of progress so far, waiting for ceiling bass trap fabric cover from acoustimac.com

100_4918.jpg

Last edited:
I would actually set it up pointing the other direction and bass trap the wall behind you. The foam really won't do you much good in this situation.

703 is the way to go. The one thing you have going for you is that it won't take much to treat the whole area.

Dang, my desk is 78" and the length the otherway is about 75 1/4". I guess I could trim my desk a bit but... I have two panels of 703 already but what can I do with them? I cant remember where I ordered them from but they are 2'x4'x4".

Foam looks cool as ever though. Can I use foam anywhere?

I dont know if you meant the oposite wall or the perpendicular wall but the oposite wall the speaker monitors wouldnt fit on the desk against the wall. Perpendicular I'd have to cut the desk down some. Not sure what to do... I might sit down and rap right there too from time to time or sing... but Im just bored and want to make the room sound nicer for them big ass monitors. Maybe I should downgrade to 5" monitors instead of the 7" or whatever size them are.

I mean't have your back to the wall with the lights.

You won't be able to push the desk all the way to the wall, but that's not important.

The foam really won't do you any good. You would need to 703 the wall with the lights behind you. After you do that, then maybe some foam at the early reflection points. But 703 will still work better

Ouch... cause I need space and I hate the idea of wasting space. Like 8-12 inches would be completely wasted. Your idea is the best way but I think I have to keep it the way it is. What would be the best way to treat the space with it the way it is?

Is there a cheap place to buy some small 703 panels? I cant remember where I bought the last ones... I should go check the box. It came with hardware for it in a box that had a logo on it... and they were fairly cheap.

atsacoustics.com was the cheapest place I found back when i was building a studio... incase anyone knows a cheaper place?

You don't need to waste the space, you can use it for storage. You are going to be in a world of hurt with that sloped ceiling behind you. There isn't enough foam or 703 to make that work...

Those panels in the picture are just 703 wrapped in fabric. If you can find the 703, go to the fabric store and getcha some fabric.

But most places say to hang 703 on an angle above the monitors. The ceiling already has an angle? I could just put some 703 on it? I always get stuck with unideal sucky spaces for my desk lol. Damit!

But most places say to hang 703 on an angle above the monitors. The ceiling already has an angle? I could just put some 703 on it?
Most places assume you are in a room instead of a cubby hole under the stairs. General advice is not going to work in your situation.

Since the ceiling is sloping up at about the same rate that the sound will be radiating, the ceiling might be a non-issue. The biggest thing that you will have to worry about is the wall behind you and possibly the wall to your left.

Its actually the slope of the roof but your last response was assuming I switched the desk to the opposite wall right?

Hey place the monitors on their sides and put some Mopads under them to angle them toward mix position. See if how your desk fits now.
Thanks,
Scott.

Hey place the monitors on their sides and put some Mopads under them to angle them toward mix position. See if how your desk fits now.
Thanks,
Scott.

Thats a good idea. And I forgot... besides the 2 4" 703 panels I have, I also have 2 2" 2x4 sheets. So I just need to figure out the best way to arrange them in the space and how to wrap them in fabric tightly.

I'm gonna go see if the desk and monitors fit laying sideways...

100_4914Small.jpg

100_4915Small.jpg

Ok now what exactly is the best way to treat this space? What exactly do I do.

I have TWO 2'x4'x4" 703 Panels and I have TWO 2'x4'x4" pieces of 703 rigid fiberglass that needs to be wrapped.

Whats the best thing to do? I think I'm going to still foam the whole wall behind the computer because its easy and cheap. You just order and glue.

What should I do for the ceiling and that angled corner where the ceiling meets the wall?

Cool your monitors fit...however you'll want to angle them up toward your ear when you are seated in the mix position. Mopads will help with this.

I would put those 703's behind your chair at head height when you are seated.
Than would be a good start then maybe one up in the acute angle of the room.
I made you a little illistration :) Notice how the monitors are positioned.

Cheers friend,
Scott.

Attachments

• for hrdc.jpg
    for hrdc.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 149
Yikes...I just noticed the wall sconce...might not want to put anything too close to that. ;)

See my revised drawing.

Scott.

Attachments

• for hrdc.jpg
    for hrdc.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Ok cool, Yeah I got the auralex mopads under them now but I just got them straight. I'll angle them upwards. Thanks for the drawing. I'm gonna get on it in a bit once the wife and kid takes off. I gotta dig out the 703 from the basement storage.

As far as fabric on a budget... I read the easiest cost effective way is to just get the lowest count bed sheets from walmart.. I can almost guess most people here will be against this? One reason would be it isnt stiff enough to get a tight fit? I dunno.... Theres a local walmart that has a fabric department still so i can still see what they have too....

But have you seen any instructions on how to wrap the panels and keep the fabric tight?

Back