What's That Green Stuff That Covers The Copper On A Circuit Board Called?

That's masking. It just insulates the copper traces. It shouldn't come off, but it shouldn't make any difference in how the unit works. It's just easier to short something out when you are messing around inside the unit.

Ah. I tried to put it back but it wasn't having it. Is it okay to cut the dangling bit off?

Sure. Like I said, it's just insulation that is applied to so the solder machine will only deposit solder on the copper traces that are exposed.

The masking is applied with a silk screen process, like putting pictures on t-shirts.

Proper name is 'conformal coating'...............

When I worked in the military electronics industry many, many years ago it was a spray on application and likely much the same today. Some was epoxy based depending on the degree of protection required.

When I worked in the military electronics industry many, many years ago it was a spray on application and likely much the same today. Some was epoxy based depending on the degree of protection required.
or GFS, Green Fuzzy Shit..

I thought he was talking about this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder_mask

When I worked in a PCB factory in the early 80's, this was silk screened on to keep the solder and gold plating where it was supposed to be.

Back