What's limiting YOUR recordings??

What's the weakest link in your recordings?

• My recording chain (mics, pres, etc)

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • My monitoring chain (monitors, phones)

Votes: 66 7.8%
  • My room(s)

Votes: 258 30.4%
  • My own ability

Votes: 368 43.4%

• Total voters
My room is appalling. i live on a main road in a loft conversion thats split into two rooms with a plasterboard stud wall inbetween then. shocking!!!

I would click all of the above.
Maybe a lack of monitors at the moment. Before Christmas I was deciding whether to get monitors or a pair of condensers for my overheads.. I got the mics because I thought even if I could hear the problems better with monitors, I wouldn't be able to make the mixes better due to the lack of quality gear. Now I'm kindof saving for monitors but I know there's more I need. I can't seem to get a vocal take I'm really happy with - preamps, mics, room treatment, quiet computer (seriously it's like a vacuum cleaner!), dedicated recording space...... Someday it will be mine.

Last edited:
Just the fact that I'm my own engineer and my recording space is about 75 ft from my gear and monitoring room so I'm going back and forth a lot.

Tim

cables

im very bad at rolling cables, dont know how to fix them, and I never discover a broken cable before its two late, this is has ruined a couple of live recordings.

im very bad at rolling cables

I sympathize. Just got some 75 ft Canare cables and they have a different feel to the way they want to coil up than what I'm used to. Really a challenge to take them up and lay them down without getting all tied up. Like and engineering puzzle.

Tim

Fire Dome said:
Not having a clone. :mad:
So that they can keep an eye on all the levels while i'm playing/recording. This is especially difficult when you are a drummer.

Dave

ha! i always wanted 4 clones of me so i could get tight as a band and then the fifth could run the recording deck.

:p

i think it's the room. & my lack of knowledge (which is why i'm here, heh)

but i can't see how an unfinished cement basement is good for acoustics.

I record alone. Everything instrument that is recorded is played by me. My biggest problem is and always has been drums..

I am ALWAYS in search of new drum loops.. I keep reusing old ones and it starts to get very boring.

I don't have a drum set or the means to record one. I don't have the patients to program a machine either, and even if I did they sound WAY to mechanical to me. So I am stuck at that level. Forever in limbo.

noisedude said:
So tell me - in all honesty - where is the bottleneck in the quality chain of your recordings?
The artists in front of the mic!

noisedude said:
What needs to be upgraded or replaced FAST?
I'm elated to be able to say I no longer have anything that "needs" upgrading or replacing - from here on out it's all about different flavours or colours of gear!!!

Mark7 said:
I'm in the same boat. Except I'm stuck with using a drum machine.
Same here. I have two drum machines, but I don't like the second one.

But I did get a Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer!!!

...the fact that I don't have a recording device at the moment...waiting for my new computer :D

Back