What's limiting YOUR recordings??

What's the weakest link in your recordings?

• My recording chain (mics, pres, etc)

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • My monitoring chain (monitors, phones)

Votes: 66 7.8%
  • My room(s)

Votes: 258 30.4%
  • My own ability

Votes: 368 43.4%

• Total voters
Me, myself and I

Definitely me. When I listen to some of my old vinyls and realize that some of those amazing sounding works of art were done with a lot of inspiration and gear half a good as what I have now, I know it's just a matter of putting it all together. I wouldn't mind a proper room and a couple more mikes. Recording in a hundred year old stone factory that doubles as my boat repair shop gets on my nerves. (thinking of cleaning out the condemned elevator shaft to use as an iso-booth)...........and the dust! It's everywhere.

definitely me, i am only 17, and i know more than most people my age, but i always need to know more, and i won't stop, until i can produce every album ever made!!!HAHAHAHAHA
sorry, forgot to take my zoloft this morning.

tubejay said:
Hands down, it's the musicians I'm recording.

I'll have to agree with this 100%. Most of my problems are due to the lack of skill of the artists i'm recording. Oh damn! That's me!!!

I don't know. When I record something I'll let you know. ;)
My equipment looks cool, and the chicks dig it - :)

Seriously, partly my knowledge (or lack there of), partly my equipment, and partly me. So I would say everything.

Last edited:
Mic Preamps. The ones in my Yamaha board are good, very useable, but not stellar. I am looking at getting some better quality preamps and expanding my mic collection over the next year for sure. Just have to find the money to do it :(

one only has to listen to the Beatle's Sgt Pepper album to fully appreciate what can be done on a 4 track recorder (and $20K microphones :-). Today, with the technology readily available, we have no excuses except our own talent and the talent of the people we surround ourselves with...
my guess is we're mostly constrained by our own abilities (which hopefully we're all trying to overcome the limits everytime we play or write). my 2¢...

gullfo said:
one only has to listen to the Beatle's Sgt Pepper album to fully appreciate what can be done on a 4 track recorder (and $20K microphones :-). Today, with the technology readily available, we have no excuses except our own talent and the talent of the people we surround ourselves with...
my guess is we're mostly constrained by our own abilities (which hopefully we're all trying to overcome the limits everytime we play or write). my 2¢...

Don't forget though, the 4-track machines they used were certainly not Tascam Portastudio variety 4-track machines. The Studer J-37 4-track 1" machine was a machine of sheer delight.

Attachments

• STUDER%20J%2037%20at%20Puck%20Sound.jpg
    STUDER%20J%2037%20at%20Puck%20Sound.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 180
Mark7 said:
It's very nice, but it was a technological dead-end.

LOL, isn't that the truth. If they had kept the same track width, they would have been up to 6" tape by the time they hit 24 tracks :eek:

Must Agree

R. Walt Vincent said:
1. THE SONG THAT DOESN'T DELIVER
2. THE SINGER THAT DOESN'T DELIVER

Nothing limits my recordings more than those two elements.

I just listened to some songs written and sung by a guy named Jake Alexander Winter that I recorded twenty years ago on a TEAC 3340,yamaha board and two 57's. It sounds amazing. (Acoustic guitar, harp, and vocals) I played it for friends and they all agree. Great songs and great performances are most of the battle and you can have all the gear in the world, but if you don't have those two elements, you got nothin'! Jake, where are you......please come back.

I wouldn't mind a couple of those $20K mikes either.

A highly predictable vote for me! I'm not really interested in gear most of the time, but those pictures of the old tape decks really got my attention.

Did anybody see that crappy film "Rock Star"? There's a bit where they are auditioning him in the studio - they click the tape deck on, all the transport mechanisms clunk into place and the auto faders start flying - loved watching that :)

Garry Sharp said:
A highly predictable vote for me! I'm not really interested in gear most of the time, but those pictures of the old tape decks really got my attention.

Did anybody see that crappy film "Rock Star"? There's a bit where they are auditioning him in the studio - they click the tape deck on, all the transport mechanisms clunk into place and the auto faders start flying - loved watching that :)
I loved that scene! I have done some serious soul searching, and I've come to the conclusion that what is limiting my recordings is all the time I am spending on this board!!!!

I think a lot of us can say this! :eek:

Rokket said:
I loved that scene! I have done some serious soul searching, and I've come to the conclusion that what is limiting my recordings is all the time I am spending on this board!!!!

I think a lot of us can say this! :eek:

I'll second that...I'm outta here.

Yeah... and I'm just taking crap from this muppet on the Harvey thread, so I think I'm done here for a few days.

noisedude said:
Yeah... and I'm just taking crap from this muppet on the Harvey thread, so I think I'm done here for a few days.
Dude, take it light. Like you said, he's a muppet. Don't let his BS throw you. Look at the "Hey the drama queen is back" started by Jake. ;)

noisedude said:
I'm chilling. Maybe we should start a 'Sensitive Men Brigade'. That would be way ungay.
:eek: ... but then again..... I'd join, and change the blurb under my name to just that.

Back