What's everyone working on at the moment?

I'm working on my right hook. I'm a south paw, so my right hook is coming from my right hand, the front hand. Other than that, I'm still working on the perfect salmon steak.

One thing I've learned lately.......Dijon mustard works on ANYTHING. I put that shit on everything.

I got my main axe fettled this week. The SG2000 bridge pickup was acting a little microphonic at high gain so I got it wax potted. It's transformed the pickup. Gigging it tonight, so I'll let you know how I got on later. :)

I recorded the initial drum tracks for my next original today. It's going to be another epic example of Earth Sciences education. :D

I recorded the initial drum tracks for my next original today. It's going to be another epic example of Earth Sciences education. :D

What about paleobiology? There's a great documentary on BBC4 at the moment about the largest extinction events.

What about paleobiology? There's a great documentary on BBC4 at the moment about the largest extinction events.

That's on my to-do list. :D This one's going to be called Vesuvius. I hope to fascinate the listener with Plinian-style volcanism, pyroclastic flows and the like. I may even have enough songs for an album eventually. It's a rich vein for me to mine, if you'll pardon the pun. :D

That's on my to-do list. :D This one's going to be called Vesuvius. I hope to fascinate the listener with Plinian-style volcanism, pyroclastic flows and the like. I may even have enough songs for an album eventually. It's a rich vein for me to mine, if you'll pardon the pun. :D

My MSc. thesis was in volcanology. Fuck all to do with Vesuvius though.

Bugger. You're going to be fact checking me again, aren't you?

Oh absolutely. If you're going to write songs about Earth Sciences then you're gonna be subjected to critical listening.

My MSc. Thesis was actually on the risk posed to aircraft by Plinian eruptions.

Speaking of Plinian eruptions - this is an artisits impression of Vesuvius:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Vesuvius1822scrope.jpg
There's loads of interesting satellite images of dust/ash clouds circling the globe actually after Plinian eruptions. Mt. Pinatubo caused loads of damage to a few planes (I think one 747 was a write off) in the early '90s. Another interesting one to research in this regard is Kluchevskoi and other volcanoes on the Kamchatka Peninusula (where, incidentally there's also epic surf).

You should go for a YouTube documentary music video next!

The most interesting ones from a major extinction event perspective are probably Yellowstone and Lake Toba - both of which are actually massive Calderas.

Oh absolutely. If you're going to write songs about Earth Sciences then you're gonna be subjected to critical listening.

My MSc. Thesis was actually on the risk posed to aircraft by Plinian eruptions.

Speaking of Plinian eruptions - this is an artisits impression of Vesuvius:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Vesuvius1822scrope.jpg
There's loads of interesting satellite images of dust/ash clouds circling the globe actually after Plinian eruptions. Mt. Pinatubo caused loads of damage to a few planes (I think one 747 was a write off) in the early '90s. Another interesting one to research in this regard is Kluchevskoi and other volcanoes on the Kamchatka Peninusula (where, incidentally there's also epic surf).

You should go for a YouTube documentary music video next!

The most interesting ones from a major extinction event perspective are probably Yellowstone and Lake Toba - both of which are actually massive Calderas.

The Icelandic volcano under the glacier that caused all the flight disruptions a few years ago had Plinian-style effects from a non-Plinian origin, didn't it? The ash cloud was caused by the magma coming into contact with the ice, if I remember correctly. My family and I were stranded in Lanzarote for an extra week. Shame. :D

The Yellowstone supervolcano is a scary one, that's for sure. The shit will hit the fan big style when that goes up. It's overdue, an'all.

Regarding the song, I have no clue how I'm going to treat the vocals this time. If I get it wrong it could be embarrassingly lame.

The Icelandic volcano under the glacier that caused all the flight disruptions a few years ago had Plinian-style effects from a non-Plinian origin, didn't it? The ash cloud was caused by the magma coming into contact with the ice, if I remember correctly. My family and I were stranded in Lanzarote for an extra week. Shame. :D

The Yellowstone supervolcano is a scary one, that's for sure. The shit will hit the fan big style when that goes up. It's overdue, an'all.

Regarding the song, I have no clue how I'm going to treat the vocals this time. If I get it wrong it could be embarrassingly lame.

Yeah, it was a plinian style effect in Iceland due to the mass evaporation of ice chucking loads of water vapour and dust into the atmosphere - Carl Froch blamed his loss to Mikkel Kessler on it 'cos he had to fly in late to the fight in a helicopter.

Have a read about Lake Toba - I think it was the responsible for the largest explosion on earth in the last 25 million years.

Got the drums and bass down. :D

Cool - I've come to the realisation that my fake drums are shite so I've been hassling the fuck out of miner for info on EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer - they both look pretty handy to be fair and will both shortcut my current process and improve the quality. Although if your boy is ever in a recording mood he's welcome to drum the fuck out of some of my tracks.

Cool - I've come to the realisation that my fake drums are shite so I've been hassling the fuck out of miner for info on EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer - they both look pretty handy to be fair and will both shortcut my current process and improve the quality. Although if your boy is ever in a recording mood he's welcome to drum the fuck out of some of my tracks.

I'll put it to him, lol. He went for an audition at the BIMM music college in Manc yesterday, supposedly for the one year diploma course. After his audition was over, they formally recommended him for the three year BA course in professional musicianship. He has to apply through the UCAS late admissions procedure if he wants to go ahead.

This tune has every chance of becoming a mutant Surf track, by the way, in a similar vein to Cecilia Ann by the Surftones and Pixies. The tempo and the bassline are all pointing in that direction. :D I never intended it to, it's just going its own way! Weird how that happens, sometimes.

Last edited:
Back