what vocal microphone should I get?

ollie99

Hi,
I think it is about time I get a proper vocal microphone but I have no idea what one I should buy.
I know people will say that I should try out different ones to find what one will suit my voice, but my voice sucks anyway so I will be recording other people mostly - boys and girls. So I guess what I'm looking for is a microphone which is all round quite good, one which many people like to work with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
At the moment I would like to keep it at below £100 but I would be willing to go up to about £130 if you think it would really be worth it.
Thanks.

Hey Ollie.
That's a pretty tight budget but out of my own collection I'd recommend looking for a used Oktava mk219 (or 319).
Keep in mind, my collection is pretty limited, so other people might have some great suggestions too.

What mics, if any, do you have?
If I absolutely had to limit myself to a single one-size-fits-all vocal mic, It'd be an sm7b.
Since that's quite far out of budget, have you tried a good ol' 58?

Hey Ollie.
That's a pretty tight budget but out of my own collection I'd recommend looking for a used Oktava mk219 (or 319).
Keep in mind, my collection is pretty limited, so other people might have some great suggestions too.

What mics, if any, do you have?
If I absolutely had to limit myself to a single one-size-fits-all vocal mic, It'd be an sm7b.
Since that's quite far out of budget, have you tried a good ol' 58?

I'll look those up thanks :)

The only vocal mics I have at the moment are a couple of 58 copies which really aren't meant for the studio so you can see my need.

Do you have the opportunity to borrow or test any mics?
There are guys on here who just don't dig dynamics, then there are guys who swear by them.

If you can borrow a 58 and give it a chance, you might find you're one of the latter. ;)

Do you have the opportunity to borrow or test any mics?
There are guys on here who just don't dig dynamics, then there are guys who swear by them.

If you can borrow a 58 and give it a chance, you might find you're one of the latter. ;)

I don't think I could give any a test, I don't know anyone who even has a studio quality microphone so I'm a bit stuck there.

the fact that I quite like the 58 copies given the price might suggest a 58 would be a safe option?

Given your price range it might not be a bad investment.
I mean, it never hurts to have one around.

Do you record guitar amps at all? Just screw the ball off and the 58 will do a great job there too.
They hold their value well so if it doesn't work out you can pretty much get your money back.

Just be sure to buy from a reputable source, if you do look at a 58.
The number of fakes floating around is ridiculous.

If you can't locate a 319, a decent second choice within your budget would be an AT3035. They can be found under $100 all day long.

Given your price range it might not be a bad investment.
I mean, it never hurts to have one around.

Do you record guitar amps at all? Just screw the ball off and the 58 will do a great job there too.
They hold their value well so if it doesn't work out you can pretty much get your money back.

Just be sure to buy from a reputable source, if you do look at a 58.
The number of fakes floating around is ridiculous.

okay thanks for your advice. I had heard about that actually, isn't it something like them being pretty much the same as a 57 but with the case on top?
I use a es57 or something like that for guitar at the moment which is a 57 copy, and I am actually very pleased with my guitar tone at the moment.
well if I buy those hd280's and a 58 from GAK then I get free postage and I've bought stuff off there before and it has seemed all authentic.

In the states, SM57's are about a hundred bucks each. At around your price range of 130 Pounds or $202.45USD you could probably get two! I'll second the 219/319 suggestion, as they are a great choice for a first condenser. I have and use my two 319's even with other more expensive microphones to choose from. I would still suggest a couple of SM57/58 dynamics in your case though. Even if you eventually have more money to spend, you will still get use from those. Before you spend ANY money you should ask yourself what it is about your current microphones that makes you feel they need to be replaced. Would your limited resources be better utilized on better musical instruments, sound control materials, or even put away in a bank account?
olduncledino

In the states, SM57's are about a hundred bucks each. At around your price range of 130 Pounds or $202.45USD you could probably get two! I'll second the 219/319 suggestion, as they are a great choice for a first condenser. I have and use my two 319's even with other more expensive microphones to choose from. I would still suggest a couple of SM57/58 dynamics in your case though. Even if you eventually have more money to spend, you will still get use from those. Before you spend ANY money you should ask yourself what it is about your current microphones that makes you feel they need to be replaced. Would your limited resources be better utilized on better musical instruments, sound control materials, or even put away in a bank account?
olduncledino

I do have quite a bit more money at the moment as rewards for my exam results :D and yeap I think most that money could be spent on other things, but vocals are certainly a weak point in my studio so I do need to invest to bring the standard level with the rest of my equipment.

Cool man. Give it a fair chance.
There's nothing immediately impressive about a 58, or 7b for that matter, but there isn't really meant to be. ;)

The SM58 is a great option for your budget. You should check out the sennheiser stuff though. The e835 sounds a little more "open" to me and I prefer it to the SM58. Definitely want a good dynamic mic if your room is not sound treated well.

Check this out a video on YouTube called "Dynamic Microphone Testing on Vocals and Harmonica (Acoustic). SM58, e835,SM57,565SD and 55SH"

I cant post URLs yet. Still new to the forum. Just put in the search bar on YouTube and its the first result you get pretty much.

Some guy demoing a few mics in that price range.

in your price range you only have a couple options - audio technica AT2020 would be a great starter vocal mic - you could also use a Shure SM58 - its not really a studio mic but it can give good results - for a bit more Id go to Rode NT-2 - if money is no object, world's best vocal mic is Neumann U87, but youre talking several thousand US dollars for new - FYI the NT2 is very very close to U87 perfprmance.

Back