What Sampler Should I Get?

DoorstepMusic

I'm looking for a Sampler that I can import audio files to with a usb/SD card, and then trigger those samples. Whether is be a drum, bass wobble, vocal, or any other type of sample. I want to use this accent what I'm using as of now (Microkorg, secondary keyboard, Kaoss pad, PC, and drum machine). Basically What I'm doing is playing everything live and then recording some loops with the KP3 of what i played so that I can play along with it. I would like to be able to add some interesting noises or vocal clips to add to my set. I don't want to have to record into the machine to be able to loop it, I would like to lead pre-made samples so that when I'm playing live I have them ready. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Sorry if my typing was a bit off or if I didn't explain something clearly. (Note the track added below was before I had purchased my KP3)

I'm looking for a Sampler that I can import audio files to with a usb/SD card, and then trigger those samples. Whether is be a drum, bass wobble, vocal, or any other type of sample. I want to use this accent what I'm using as of now (Microkorg, secondary keyboard, Kaoss pad, PC, and drum machine). Basically What I'm doing is playing everything live and then recording some loops with the KP3 of what i played so that I can play along with it. I would like to be able to add some interesting noises or vocal clips to add to my set. I don't want to have to record into the machine to be able to loop it, I would like to lead pre-made samples so that when I'm playing live I have them ready. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Sorry if my typing was a bit off or if I didn't explain something clearly. (Note the track added below was before I had purchased my KP3)

If you already have a PC as part of your live act you can use it and a trigger pad or footswitch for the samples. Heck you could even trigger it with one of those controllers that is beams of light that you stick your hand through.

What is your budget? A cheap one would be a second hand Boss SP202 (or one of the later versions). If you really want a live performance set up get a Akai MPC1000, it will not only hold buckets of sample (with a decent card in it, or you can install a hard drive), but it will also work as a sequencer. If it's too expensive try a MPC500, it's little brother. All these machines sell at good prices second hand. I have a SP202 which we replaced with a MCP1000, they both did the job we needed.

I can understand the people saying get a computer, but I would never again tour with a computer on stage, the Akai's are rock solid built for tours.

Alan

Playing shows with a computer doesn't seem practical to me either. I'll probably go with the MPC500 since I'm on a smaller budget. How did the 202 work out for you? Is it hard to use, and since you own the MPC how do you like the feel of it (especially for a live setting). I just don't want something that is awkward to use live. My goal for live shows is to be able to play everything and do some looping so I was hoping to get something that would fill in my sampling needs.

Playing shows with a computer doesn't seem practical to me either. I'll probably go with the MPC500 since I'm on a smaller budget. How did the 202 work out for you? Is it hard to use, and since you own the MPC how do you like the feel of it (especially for a live setting). I just don't want something that is awkward to use live. My goal for live shows is to be able to play everything and do some looping so I was hoping to get something that would fill in my sampling needs.

gotcha - I thought you were already using a pc live.

I have to admit that out live we used to have both the SP202 and the MPC1000 preloaded with samples, the main reason was that no one had a spare pair of hands as we were also playing and singing live. Some of our stuff was triggered by the sequencer some manual. However both machines were built with live performance in mind, I know that I saw a Live Freeland gig (Adam Freeland with a live band) a few years ago and he used a MPC.

I don't know what style of music you are doing but Hip Hop guys give it a good rap. As far as I can tell the MPC500 is a cutdown version of the 1000, if you had the cash I would look for a second hand 1000. There were issues with the early production 1000's with the buttons, they fixed this when they released the black version, however the button kit to upgrade the blue MPC's is not that much money. There is also aftermarket software upgrades available for the 1000.

If all of this is way over budget, you will pick up a second hand SP202 for cheap, and it may do everything that you want.

Buy the way I am now in a blues band, and even though I love the band I am in I miss the live dance music band scene with the technology on stage.

Cheers
Alan.

Back