What limiting software do you use?

lollygagger8

I've never had that much luck with Sony Inflator, so I've been using Waves Ultramaximizer. If you use these, do you use: L1, L2, or L3??

If not, what do you use?

I find that pretty much all software is limiting ;) :D.

Seriously, I try to avoid using limiters when I can, but when there is no better option than to use a limiter, Finis by Roger Nichols Digital is my go-to limiter plug of choice.

G.

Another "no limiter" here if I can help it.

That said - I'm not a fan of the "L" series... The native limiter in Samplitude (9.x+?) is very impressive. UAD's limiter is very nice. Voxengo's Elephant is schveet (lots of rope to hang yourself with though).

The go-to "limiter" in my DAW....is the "crossfade editor"! ;)

It's a lot of work, but I'll manually adjust peaks as needed.

I used to use the Classic Master Limiter, but nowadays I just use TesslaPro as a Peak Tamer and then normalize the loudest peak.

Another "no limiter" here if I can help it.

That said - I'm not a fan of the "L" series... The native limiter in Samplitude (9.x+?) is very impressive. UAD's limiter is very nice. Voxengo's Elephant is schveet (lots of rope to hang yourself with though).

I run Samplitude (though I'm still on the 7.23 version, 'cuz it does what I need - basic cut/paste editing and then mix OTB)...but I've checked out the included plugs, plus I have a Sony suite that comes with Sound Forge 8, and then someone recently handed me a trial demo of some Waves plugs, which includes the Ultra and L2 limiters.

Anyway...I'm just messing around with them to see how well I like some ITB processing...and I am curious about your "non-fan" position on the Waves L series?
I haven't been comparing limiter plugs long enough to maybe know the good/bad/ugly, so a detailed opinion would be helpful ...but so far, I wasn't too put off by the L2.
I was using the L2 -24 bit Auto Release preset, but then I would turn off the Dither and Noise shaping, since I had one more stage to go after that and since I was applying it on a 24 bit file (plus it sounded better with those things off)...and then I pulled back the Threshold from the default -10 to about -6-7, and liked the overall results when I A/B’d against the unprocessed version (levels adjusted to match)
I also tried the Waves Linear EQs (Low and Broadband)...and while they are quirky to set with a mouse (isn't everything :) )...they seem to do a nice job.

I'll have to compare the Waves limiters more directly to my native Samplitude plugs.
I'm considering doing an upgrade when Sam 11 comes out...but again, I'm still doing more OTB, so I don't need the gazillion features they include, and I've gotten very fast with my 7.23 version…plus, I’m not eager to also have to upgrade all my hardware to better fit the Sam 11 software.

Back