what kind of capacitor

notbradsohner

Compression Addict
in building one of these

what kind of capacitator would I want for capacitator x? Film, metal, ceramic? Any ideas. This will be my first project, but looks fun.

notbradsohner said:
in building one of these

what kind of capacitator would I want for capacitator x? Film, metal, ceramic? Any ideas. This will be my first project, but looks fun.

Those values are kinda big for a ceramic. Poly film would be more typical.

It's a long time since I built any electronic project (around 1976 in fact) but from what I remember, it doesn't matter... it's the Farads that matter. The range that's mentioned is 0.001 micro Farads and 0.05 micro Farads so I'd just nip into Maplins (or whatever) and pick up what I can within that range.

andy

Those values are kinda big for a ceramic. Poly film would be more typical.

yep... sounds right to me... more than likely still polarised at these values (positive and negative connections).

Synkrotron said:
yep... sounds right to me... more than likely still polarised at these values (positive and negative connections).

Nah film caps aren't polarized (probably some exception out there, but generally), perhaps you were thinking of tantalums.

mshilarious said:
Nah film caps aren't polarized (probably some exception out there, but generally), perhaps you were thinking of tantalums.

Doh!,

it's been too long dood, and I can't argue lol... I thought film caps where those mini foil jobbies who's wires always broke off right where it did no use...

ah well :D

notbradsohner said:
those are the parts

The chip is the wrong package, SOIC is surface mount, you want DIP instead.
Try this one:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...uctid=211539&e_categoryid=289&e_pcodeid=51212

The electro cap doesn't need to be bipolar, just get a standard polarized electro and you'll save a few pennies.

You probably would do better with one of these pots:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...uctid=783857&e_categoryid=319&e_pcodeid=03109

Those are chassis mount, solder lug, and use any kind of standard knob you'd find for a guitar.

The film cap is fine.

thanks ms! I have no freakin' clue what im doing!!!! woo hoo. The closest ive come to an electronics project is making drum triggers. :mad: :( :eek: :confused: :(

notbradsohner said:
thanks ms! I have no freakin' clue what im doing!!!! woo hoo. The closest ive come to an electronics project is making drum triggers. :mad: :( :eek: :confused: :(

No worries, this is a simple project. Is there a PCB layout, or do you have to make one? That would be the trickiest part.

Oh, I just had another look at the schemo, obviously that would be point to point, never mind :o

mshilarious said:
The chip is the wrong package, SOIC is surface mount, you want DIP instead.
Try this one:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...uctid=211539&e_categoryid=289&e_pcodeid=51212

The electro cap doesn't need to be bipolar, just get a standard polarized electro and you'll save a few pennies.

And make sure you get the polarity of that cap right! The signal voltage will be quite low, so your not going to make the cap blow up, but it won't work if it is in wrong.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

notbradsohner said:

haha... same here actually... made a complete 12 trigger drum kit which cost me nearly as much as a brand new one :eek:

Light said:
And make sure you get the polarity of that cap right! The signal voltage will be quite low, so your not going to make the cap blow up, but it won't work if it is in wrong.

Yeah, good point there, when I started with electronics, the markings on electros made no sense to me--the arrow/stripe points towards the drain, which is the negative side, whereas schematics always label the positive side. So it's kind of counterintuitive.

that cap is either an electrolytic or a tantalum bead cap, id use the tantalum bead because its much smaller and has closer tolerances. It is also less likely to leak. Electrolytic caps tend to break down chemically if they are not used for long periods of time , this can be reversed by a period of charging discharging but if deterioration is too much they will leak when used again.

Back