What kind of amp would you suggest?

Artist Unknown

Hi. I recently bought a Marshall JCM2000 duel super lead 100w head with a 1960a speaker cab. After I finally got it up and running right (I never knew there was so much to owning a tube amp like warming the tubes, matching ohms, using a speaker cable and not a guitar cable, etc.) I soon began to realize that this thing was way too loud for the police, my neighbors and my roommates....I really had no problem with the loudness at all. But anyways, I'm going to have to sell it now and get something quieter. For some reason I preferred my effects processors distortion on the Marshalls clean channel over the distortion channels of the amp. So what I want is a good clean amp that my effects will sound nice through. I want to use it for recording and jamming - mainly recording. It would be nice to have two guitar imputs, too. My price range is up to $1500. Thanks in advance.

If your only looking for a good clean channel I would say go with Crate. I own one and I use the clean channel with an effects peddle and it sounds great. Ive never heard anyone downtalk Crate and most anyone who knows what theyre talking about will tell you they all have a really clear clean sound.. no feedback/crackling/humming or anything like that.

which fx processor are you using?

it might already have a preamp that you can use directly plugged into an inexpensive tube amp like a mesa 20/20, peavey 60/60 etc.

I personally like the distor on the 2000. HAve you tried pegging the preamp level and turning down the master level. I think it sounds great at bedroom levels.

taintedeity said:
If your only looking for a good clean channel I would say go with Crate. I own one and I use the clean channel with an effects peddle and it sounds great. Ive never heard anyone downtalk Crate and most anyone who knows what theyre talking about will tell you they all have a really clear clean sound..

Wow! I am not busting on your opinion or taste, but Crate has always been considered a joke, sort of the ultimate crappy amp. You are actually one of the few people I have ever heard price them as a "best" option.

I have not been a big fan of many Marshalls made after about 1975.

One of the best clean amps I know are Jule Amp http://www.juleamps.com but I am not sure about the price and they sound better the louder you crank them up.

I am a big fan of Rivera amps http://www.rivera.com/ They sound great at high and low volumes and the disortion sounds really good as well as the clean

CyanJaguar said:
which fx processor are you using?

it might already have a preamp that you can use directly plugged into an inexpensive tube amp like a mesa 20/20, peavey 60/60 etc.

I personally like the distor on the 2000. HAve you tried pegging the preamp level and turning down the master level. I think it sounds great at bedroom levels.
You should be able to get a screaming Marshall sound at reasonable levels using this technique...I do it all the time.

taintedeity said:
If your only looking for a good clean channel I would say go with Crate. I own one and I use the clean channel with an effects peddle and it sounds great. Ive never heard anyone downtalk Crate and most anyone who knows what theyre talking about will tell you they all have a really clear clean sound.. no feedback/crackling/humming or anything like that.

Jeez, you must not get out much, because all I've ever seen on the internet is how bad Crate amps suck on the clean channel. They're decent if all you do is heavy, crunchy stuff, but the clean channel on a Crate is the equivelent of nails on a chalkboard.

For a great clean tube amp I'd suggest the Vox AC30 or a Peavey Classic 30. There's more than enough power in either of these amps. The Vox is an absolute gem, but it ain't cheap. The Peavey sounds great, but won't break the bank. You can't go wrong, either way.

If you like everything about the amp except the volume then get a Powerbreak or a Powersoak. Then you can run the amp really high while sending a low signal to the speakers. Then one day when you can actually use the volume, you have it ready to use.

H2H

Buck62 said:
Jeez, you must not get out much, because all I've ever seen on the internet is how bad Crate amps suck on the clean channel. They're decent if all you do is heavy, crunchy stuff, but the clean channel on a Crate is the equivelent of nails on a chalkboard.

For a great clean tube amp I'd suggest the Vox AC30 or a Peavey Classic 30. There's more than enough power in either of these amps. The Vox is an absolute gem, but it ain't cheap. The Peavey sounds great, but won't break the bank. You can't go wrong, either way.

Really, lol ? I have one that works out pretty nicely... This is the first time Ive ever heard anyone say anything bad about Crate. It was always about how nice of a clean channel they have.

Thats what sold me on it... of course when I first got it was when I first started playing and I knew nothing about guitars or amps. My dad who has played guitar since he was my age after shopping for a new amp for a few months he listened to the Crate once and said "this is what you want".

I dont know... they have come out with a lot of new models since I bought mine, perhaps they did something and it changed the way they sound?

taintedeity said:
Really, lol ? I have one that works out pretty nicely... This is the first time Ive ever heard anyone say anything bad about Crate. It was always about how nice of a clean channel they have.

Thats what sold me on it... of course when I first got it was when I first started playing and I knew nothing about guitars or amps. My dad who has played guitar since he was my age after shopping for a new amp for a few months he listened to the Crate once and said "this is what you want".

I dont know... they have come out with a lot of new models since I bought mine, perhaps they did something and it changed the way they sound?

They are generally regarded as buckets of shit by everyone, but if you like it, screw everyone. :)

I've heard worse.

Last edited:
Crate has horrible distortion, but good clean for a 200 dollar amp. I'd take the sound of my doubleshot distortion pedal through the clean channel, versus any of the line 6 stuff. But since he had money to buy a big marshall tube amp I'm assuming he doesnt want to go get a line 6 or a crate. So I'd suggest the powerbrake option that Hard2Hear stated.

ibanezrocks said:
Crate has horrible distortion, but good clean for a 200 dollar amp. I'd take the sound of my doubleshot distortion pedal through the clean channel, versus any of the line 6 stuff. But since he had money to buy a big marshall tube amp I'm assuming he doesnt want to go get a line 6 or a crate. So I'd suggest the powerbrake option that Hard2Hear stated.
Oh yeah def... the distortion on my Crate is crap.. hence the reason why I run a peddle into it. The clean channel is good tho... I dont know bout $200 bucks tho I paid a good $500 for mine, maybe thats why everyone thinks they sound like crap ?

spoonie g said:
They are generally regarded as buckets of shit by everyone, but if you like it, screw everyone. :)

I've heard worse.

I was trying to be nice about it, but your asessment is spot on.

Crate = Bucket of Shit

i have a crate VC20 and i think it sounds great.

that said, it is the only crate i've ever used (out of many) that i don't think sounds crummy.

a good amp is a good amp. the vc20 may not sound just like a fender or a marshall or vox, but i think it's pretty respectable for what it is (and the price was right-$0) and it is a noteworthy exception among a sea of amps that people with experience tend to dislike.

Thanks for all the imput. I think I'll look into that Peavey classic 30....sounds like a great deal. By the way, the reason I'm getting rid of the Marshall is because it's just such an overkill for what I'm using it for.
Also, I had a Crate for my very first amp. Can't remember what kind it was but I thought it sounded nice. It cost me around $500 and it had 2x12 and really nice chorus. I played my $100 pawn shop Hondo through it....Hondo guitars rock! lol

Back