Votes: 78 85.7%
  • EXTERNAL: 5400rpm

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • EXTERNAL: 7200rpm

Votes: 24 26.4%

• Total voters

lyricist

What are your hard drive speeds?

You can vote for more than 1 option in this poll.

Your internal HD... select whether it is 5400 or 7200

if you also have an external HD select 5400 or 7200

then vote.

if you just have an internal HD then choose 5400/7200 from the internal option and vote.

Just curious what is being used recently.

Last edited:
Mine is a 10,000 rpm scsi hdd, and the poll left out the 15,000 rpm drives too. The main storage drive I use is a 7200 ata100.

I figured the 5400 and 7200 were the most popular in mainstream laptops. dunno bout desktops

well yeah if you use another speed go ahead and pos it up.

:)

bigwillz24 said:
you have to look pretty hard to find a 5400rpm drive these days... :D
really?

concerning desktops?

cos when i was laptop hunting they all seemed to come standard with a 5400 hd.

yeah on desktops...

Newer Laptops are pretty standard now with the 5400s now that they have figured out how to keep it somewhat cooler in there....

Pretty soon the 7200s will be standard then 10000 you know the way technology goes...

I second that motion regarding 10K raptors. I run a raid 0 for my drive where I do "big" file stuff and they haul ass. Sandra is off the chart on its tests and short of SCSI, they are about as good as it gets. 5 year warrenty to boot

visa said:
5400s are quiter.
That's what some say but I've read that being argued on a gaming forum.

Have you had any first hand experience with that or just repeating what you heard?

Oh, SCSI, I almost forgot about you. So why is SCSI now obsolete? They're a crapload faster than IDE. Probably something about cost?

IronFlippy said:
Oh, SCSI, I almost forgot about you. So why is SCSI now obsolete? They're a crapload faster than IDE. Probably something about cost?

SCSI is far from obsolete. The newer SATA drives are getting closer to the speed and performance at a fraction of the cost.

ez_willis said:
SCSI is far from obsolete. The newer SATA drives are getting closer to the speed and performance at a fraction of the cost.

More than that, every FireWire drive you buy is using SCSI (well, SBP-2) over the FireWire bus. Oh, yeah, your ATAPI CD/DVD drive in your desktop... also SCSI. (ATAPI is basically SCSI encapsulated in ATA transactions....)

SCSI isn't dead. SCSI is nearly as common as ATA. It is simply a little bit more insidious. :D

2 10,000 rpm wd raptor 36.7 G (sata)drives in raid1 for OS, program files

the rest are 7200 rpm satas, except for two 160gig WD Caviar drives on two of my IDE channels, also in raid 1.

Back