What is R&B music?

R&B, like progressive rock, jazz, jazz-fusion, heavy metal rock, pop and a whole host of other genres, has evolved and mutated in the decades since its inception. It has drawn in, given out to, fused with and borrowed from other sounds. It gave birth with other partners to other offspring like rock'n'roll, soul, funk, and reggae, became a proud but neglected grandparent, but in itself, kept on evolving. Much of what was called R&B {or even what is called R&B now} was called soul in other quarters. It's bled into so much music over the decades, but that's not unique ~ many genres of music have done that. It's supposed to keep things fresh and moving, although whether it does is anyone's guess and everyone's opinion.

If I were to come off the top of my head and provide an example of what R&B sounds like, it would sound something like this....

R&B travelled an interesting road. Boogie with Stu certainly proceeded from a "White boy blues" conceptualization.
It was a great Zeppelin rip-off. To be fair, they did give Richie Valens' Mum a writing credit for their song.

It was the least they could do !

R&B travelled an interesting road. Boogie with Stu certainly proceeded from a "White boy blues" conceptualization.
It was a great Zeppelin rip-off. To be fair, they did give Richie Valens' Mum a writing credit for their song.

It's also a fact that it was Conway Twitty, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley and the Everly Brothers who are among others who took the roots of R&B, incorporating a style (genre) of sorts giving birth to Rock and Roll.
Conway Twitty was preordained to become the first Rock Star, Pop Star......whatever.
Elvis reigned!
As awesome as it was during Elvis's spectacular career, it's also incumbent of us to not forget the fact Elvis also recorded Gospel songs.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed reading all of your opinions. I still haven't read anything at Wikpedia concerning definitions of R&B music or whatever spin writers write there at Wikipedia.

What's of true importance h

In my reckoning, it's a fine line, or was, R&R vs R&B, tempo being a distinguishing characteristic. Those two versions being an example, Boogie /w Stu vs Richie Valen's version. R&B having more, what's the word i'm looking for, soul?

Well, people that play music and have a fairly open mind and like a particular kind of music that hasn't originated with them will bring something to any music they are trying their hand at that the "originals" won't bring to that music. hence the evolution. As in every pursuit, some do it "better" or let's say more satisfactorily, than others.

So could one say that all modern "pop music" is derived to some extent from R&B?
No - Pop Music is derived from all forms of music - and some of that is R&B - Some of that is Rock - Jazz - Classical - World - African - Chinese - Japanese etc....- people draw from all sorts of influences.

wtf im always on point

no i have some serious medical problems...that makes me not ok...'man'

i aint got ttime for spelling and punct

Last edited:
Back