What is a song "tag"..?

Hey True.
Theres this really cool website called Google. I done a search there and "Viola`" there was the answer... just like magic.
I felt compelled to give the answer here.

An intro is usually short, no more than 4 measures, and may be the last part of the chorous or some other little melodic phrase. An outro is usually the melody of the verse or chorus, fading out. If you do a distinct ending without fading, it is called a tag.

Another explaination...

There are other components of songs that can be considered. For example, what is often termed a pre-chorus is a short tag of four to eight bars at the end of a verse, but before a chorus begins.

Check it out.
Oh, your welcome!

Hey Tracey...I did go to that really good website called GOOGLE..as I always do...so bite me:eek::D...and hey, guess what?...no TAG definition..not even in the Wiki link I clicked on, or the "music terminology"..or the "songwriting terms"...or the SONGTAG definition"...or the "songwriting structuring"..etc... so viola...double bite me:eek::eek::D...I did find definition for Verse, Bridge, Interlude, Chorus, hook and a few other references to song structuring...even a pre-chorus one, but the pre-chorus definition never used the term TAG...I checked several glossaries for the info also, using different terms in the GOOGLE search bar.

Oh...and thank you very muchly for your help. I am very happy to have this info finally. I was going to ask YOU before I even GOOGLED...but you were not "around" for me to ask.;) Now if you will excuse me, I gots to go GOOGLE "playing like a MOFO" and see whose name pops up......

Hey True.
Theres this really cool website called Google. I done a search there and "Viola`" there was the answer... just like magic.
I felt compelled to give the answer here.

An intro is usually short, no more than 4 measures, and may be the last part of the chorous or some other little melodic phrase. An outro is usually the melody of the verse or chorus, fading out. If you do a distinct ending without fading, it is called a tag.

Another explaination...

There are other components of songs that can be considered. For example, what is often termed a pre-chorus is a short tag of four to eight bars at the end of a verse, but before a chorus begins.

Check it out.
Oh, your welcome!

If you we're inconvienced that badly - why did you bother posting ?

Google can produce different search results depending on geography, what BHO tool-bars installed, etc. etc.

I can search "air line tickets" and get company "abc" and you could search the same thing from Indiana and get company "xyz".

I searched "song tag" and it did come up first for me - but that doesn't mean it's the first thing google will show True-eurt.

I've always used it and heard it used to refer to a usually short bit near the end of the form that's repeated (or tagged) as an ending. Often it's some chords right before the resolution to the final chord. Tags can also be little modulations or extended progressions that delay getting (back) to the final chord(s).

Simple example:
A tune whose chorus ends with:
C D-7 G7 C
Could be tagged as:
C D-7 G7 D-7 G7 D-7 G7 C
or:
C D-7 G7 E-7 A7 D-7 G7 C

or a million other ways...

I used chords to illustrate, but it is often a vocal/melodic phrase that is tagged. This usually lines up with a logical chunk of chords.
Hope this helps.

p.s. My Google search found mostly ID3 MP3 tags and meta tags for videos. Phrases with simple words can be difficult to nail down in searches.

If you we're inconvienced that badly - why did you bother posting ?

Dont get excited matt, me and true are closer pals then you can imagine.
I was only playing with her, and she knows it. It was meant to sound very sarcastic, and apparently it did.

haha - yeah, somebody actually PM'd me and told me you we're only joking.

Sorry - it's just that people can get so nasty in these forums with each other.

Sorry I butted in !

:D

Last edited:
I've always used it and heard it used to refer to a usually short bit near the end of the form that's repeated (or tagged) as an ending. Often it's some chords right before the resolution to the final chord. Tags can also be little modulations or extended progressions that delay getting (back) to the final chord(s).

Simple example:
A tune whose chorus ends with:
C D-7 G7 C
Could be tagged as:
C D-7 G7 D-7 G7 D-7 G7 C
or:
C D-7 G7 E-7 A7 D-7 G7 C

or a million other ways...

I used chords to illustrate, but it is often a vocal/melodic phrase that is tagged. This usually lines up with a logical chunk of chords.
Hope this helps.

p.s. My Google search found mostly ID3 MP3 tags and meta tags for videos. Phrases with simple words can be difficult to nail down in searches.

I've also seen the phrase "tag line" used to indicate a repeating line at the end of the song. Usually it's the last line of the song repeated...

Dont get excited matt, me and true are closer pals then you can imagine.
I was only playing with her, and she knows it. It was meant to sound very sarcastic, and apparently it did.
Like two peas in a pod....Tag, you're it Tracey...:D:eek::D:D:eek::D:D:eek::D

Matt-Sorry for the misunderstanding Matt:)...it is true, you just never know when someone is serious or kidding on here sometimes:D.

Thanks for the input Whale Bone.:)

Gerry- Thanks for that added info.:)

haha - yeah, somebody actually PM'd me and told me you we're only joking.

Sorry - it's just that people can get so nasty in these forums with each other.

Sorry I butted in !

:D

No problem man, its actually nice to see somoeone stand up for what they think is right and try to help a fellow musician. My hats off to you, and theres no sarcasm in that statement.

Yeah I've always seen it and heard it referred to as the repeated bit of (usually) the chorus or lead line of a song. They're very popular in Broadway tunes and things like that.

For example, there's a tune called (I think) "This Could Be the Start of Something Big" sung by Pia Zidora (among other people I'm sure). (I'm not a big broadway fan, but I know this tune because it was featured in Naked Gun 33 1/3!)

The end of each verse of the song ends with "This could be the start of something big." I think it's kind of a chorus, but not really. It's more of an A-B form, like "Yesterday." "Yesterday" doesn't really have a chorus, but each verse is capped by the line "I believe in yesterday" (or something similar).

Anyway, in the "something big" tune, that's the way it happens the first few times. But at the end of the song, it goes:

And this must be the start of something...
This could be the heart of something...
This could be the start of something big!

That's the tag. The chords usually change a bit for each repetition of the line. In this case, I think the first and last line have the same chords, but the middle line has different chords (that would lead to the first chord of the third line).

Oh, JCM, it's "you're" you smug little pile of turd.

Thanks SO much for enlightening us. Jackassss.

Back