What is a simple way to normaliz? My songs are weak in volume

I read it over like 5 times thinking maybe I'm just really hung over. I still don't know how to make sense of it. :confused:

:D

"i normalize at a pals place in wavelab for totally budget cds that won't master."

My friend has wavelab. I do not. If a project is going out to the general public where the folks will not master it due to money issues, they take it over to him and we'll normalize each track in wavelab...then burn the cd. i'd rather not have him doing anything else to it as he's not really qualified.

it sounds fine to me. it takes him a only a few minutes so he does it for me as a favor and doesn't charge the band. the band is happy. i'm generally happier as the cd is louder and more consistant track to track...if a ballad is in there i get a little more involved to see if it's weird sounding when it goes on...so far no issue really there.

you can argue they should be getting it mastered, they won't... and if they did they'd take it to a guy who would do far worse than normalizing for a 100-200 bucks or so. i find this a better option. if the band cannot afford my cheapest mastering guy (around 250) - this is the route i send them.

i have done this a few times a year and no one cries foul and people have cried foul when they skip doing something like this to bring the levels up. this issue is not even apart of the loudness wars IMO. it's just balancing track to track quickly and easily.

the non-confusing part, when I do this in my masterlink, i am not happy. the bottom end does get wiped out. don't know why.

sorry for the confusion,

Mike

:D

"i normalize at a pals place in wavelab for totally budget cds that won't master."

My friend has wavelab. I do not. If a project is going out to the general public where the folks will not master it due to money issues, they take it over to him and we'll normalize each track in wavelab...then burn the cd. i'd rather not have him doing anything else to it as he's not really qualified.

it sounds fine to me. it takes him a only a few minutes so he does it for me as a favor and doesn't charge the band. the band is happy. i'm generally happier as the cd is louder and more consistant track to track...if a ballad is in there i get a little more involved to see if it's weird sounding when it goes on...so far no issue really there.

you can argue they should be getting it mastered, they won't... and if they did they'd take it to a guy who would do far worse than normalizing for a 100-200 bucks or so. i find this a better option. if the band cannot afford my cheapest mastering guy (around 250) - this is the route i send them.

i have done this a few times a year and no one cries foul and people have cried foul when they skip doing something like this to bring the levels up. this issue is not even apart of the loudness wars IMO. it's just balancing track to track quickly and easily.

the non-confusing part, when I do this in my masterlink, i am not happy. the bottom end does get wiped out. don't know why.

sorry for the confusion,

Mike

If the band isn't going to have it mastered, why not just slap a brick wall limiter on the 2-buss. Would make MUCH more sense, and get more loudness without harming the track much - especially if you go mild with it.

If the band isn't going to have it mastered, why not just slap a brick wall limiter on the 2-buss. Would make MUCH more sense, and get more loudness without harming the track much - especially if you go mild with it.

the only brick wall limiter i have is in the masterlink... i'm a board guy - not a computer guy...and processing on that masterlink isn't ideal both in sound and function for me. again, i'd rather my pal not do any limiting. i may not be there and i'm cool with the sound of the mix.

all i'm really saying is i find the wavelab normalizing totally cool for what it does. i don't really hear anything horrible going on post-normalizing. i've had cd's go out using this and been happy.

don't get me wrong i'd rather send them to someone like trevor at mastermind...my fave...and i'm sure they'd sounds way better....but my lots of my clients can't/won't afford that. this is the best i can get them to do in some cases and it's completely workable.

Mike

I hereby discontinue this thread.

I'm not into it anymore.

I learned about levels a little more, and normalizing isn't on the ticket.

Plus, I found some really good loops I'm working on.

So, you are all dismissed. Thanks

You heard the man, all of you kill yourselves...............NOW!

lol

Back