what in god's name is this bizarre wave form?

Unclejohnny

I make on-hold messages. It's bone simple. Mic, interface, laptop, adobe audition. Now this bizarre wave form in cropping up and it ruins my recordings. The normal wave form is doing it's thing and suddenly it takes on a distorted, sort of magnified looking shape. It looks real loud but it isn't. On playback, it seems the same as what's on either side of it but after it's mixed it actually is quieter at the blown up looking spots. It is happening more and more lately and even seems like it has a pulse sometimes. And when I'm not talking on the mic, it still makes the blown up spots. I have resorted to making 5 or more takes of everything and them patching together a comp. And even tat doesn't always work. It's making things take many hours longer than normal and screwing up my livelihood.
Here's a picture showing a 36 second chunk and a zoom on a 5 second piece.
What is this thing? How can I kill it? Someone please help me.
-Unclejohnny

Attachments

• Bizarre.Problem.jpg
    Bizarre.Problem.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 123
only thing i can really think of is bad blocks on your drive .. it looks to me like the daw is writing the file,but not checking its being written correctly (and i don't think any actually do check ) on play back is then playing back a corrupt file ? ...

could be a pluggin that hasn't/lost its registration info and could be inserting silences ...

some strange driver/latency issue ...

but my gut tells me its down to the hd performance .. do some spring cleaning,get rid of the bloat and use some good drive checking tools,maybe something from the manufacturer ..if alls well then de-frag ...

hope you get to the bottom of it soon :)

It may be noise from a very low (or high) frequency that your speakers cannot reproduce. Do you have a sub?

I would use a limiter (under the effects menu) to reduce the wild peaks down equal to the others.

Oh, one more thought...

This is not an unregistered version of Adobe Audition, is it? The reason I ask is because some demo software, after expiration, embeds noise into the waveform to render it unusable. Theoretically this forces users to go buy the software if they want to continue using it.

Just guessing here.

Am I understanding correctly that this is happening on recording rather than cropping up during the mix?

If so, my instinct is that this might be a corrupt driver for your interface. I'd try reinstalling/updating the driver (or, if there's recently been a driver update, backtrack one version.

with help of the marquee tool select the area from SFD and use it as noise profile and then try to remove the noise by selecting whole file. I can't see any other solution.

Look into optimizing your PC for audio recording. Things like your wireless network connection can briefly interrupt the audio software's access to resources.

Thanks. I'll try turning off the internet access while recording and see if it helps. Later I'll find more info on optimizing for recording and follow that.

Interesting results, ritb. First without thinking I selected an area where the weird blip came while I was speaking so that didn't work. Then I found a spot where it really went wild in a space between words and used that fro the noise profile. It returned to a normal-looking view. Some sections were very quiet looking so I boosted them. Everything LOOKED normal but the sound dropped out in the same areas where the problem was most pronounced.

The driver came on a disc with the new interface I got last month. I'll reinstall.
By the way, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be ;)

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I have defragged and will reinstall the interface driver. Later when I record, I'll have the wifi off and cut off everything under 50K.
I'll let y'all know what happens.

Last edited:
What interface? You should always go online and check manufacturer site for updated drivers. Many times, the driver on the included disc is not necessarily the right one for your OS or PC.

The driver came on a disc with the new interface I got last month. I'll reinstall.
By the way, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be ;)

What interface? You should always go online and check manufacturer site for updated drivers. Many times, the driver on the included disc is not necessarily the right one for your OS or PC.

Yep! Do what Jimmy said...don't bother reinstalling the disk driver, but go online to the company's site and get the latest driver there.

Back