What I Think I Am

ashcat_lt

Some of the songs are eighteen years old. Some of the tracking was done eight years ago. These are the songs that we've played at every "big show" for the last three years because when I'm up on the stage with all lights on me and I'm really freaking loud, it's about the only thing I really want to say. This thing was supposed to have been released on 10/30/13, and I have refused to do anything else in the studio until it was finished. So now I can move on.

I'm happy to discuss the particulars, and definitely interested in comments.

Stream free or buy for cheap at Lorenzo's Tractor - What I Think I Am

I'm checking it out on bandcamp. You looking for mixing feedback or just sharing?

There's some language in there, probably NSFW. I'm listening at home so no harm foul here.

Okay, that thing was a bad trip. Now to cleanse myself with going to work. lol

Last edited:
Thanks for listening. I'm not really going back to the mixes at this point, but I'm definitely up for some discussion. I'm especially interested to hear about the mastering. I struggled a bit trying to get it up to a reasonable average level without too much noticeable clipping distortion, and ended up leaving them a bit more dynamic than some more modern recordings. I'm not hearing any nasty crackles (there's some ugliness in the title track, but that's actually baked into the track itself), but definitely want to hear about it if you do.

That first part, the noise, which I could tell was intentional, but maybe too loud. I could hear the music coming up in the background, I thought I was having some kind of sound hardware problem and started troubleshooting.

You may want to think about how to do that first part different (make it lower). Just think it might be an issue to the general population.

The mix quality was good. It was loud enough and the dynamics worked fine. I didn't think the toms/bongos(?) were very well captured. They sounded more like plastic buckets being hit than drum heads. Guess I would want more emphasis on the resonance and less on the impact for the drums used on those busy fills.

Somehow you made 20 minutes of essentially the same thing work. ;)

Thanks guys.

pinky - I guess I was shooting for the feel of a drum circle in a room with a bunch of really loud guitar amps. There are a number of layers of different things, but most of it is Toontrack, and mostly that room mic that Jimmy hates. ;) I can see where a more modern drum sound could really change the thing, but then it would be something else...

DM60 - You're talking about the very beginning of "Great Big Mine" with the feedback and the bass kind of fading in? I definitely dig what you're saying there. It's exactly what I was shooting for for the album version, but I will keep your comments in mind as I work on radio edits for sure.

Back