What do you think is the biggest buzzworthy product?

ozraves

Judging by the Google hits at my site...

www.mojopie.com

...it's the VTB1 and RNP.

Do you see any new products on the horizon that'll generate as much or even more interest than these? The new Speck mic pre, maybe? The Stephen Paul mic? The new one channel Great River mic pre?

Steve

One thing that should be hotly anticipated is the release of Universal Audio / Mackie's Dreamverb for UAD.

A high-quality reverb plugin (Lexicom/TC calibre) has been sorely needed (and long overdue) for some time now.

Oh, that's right . . . this is supposed to be microphone-related, I suppose. :D I'd say if Studio Projects can get a real tube pre (with ample voltage and transformer input) to market with decent sound quality . . . something comparable to the VMP2 but for a little less money I can see being a very hot seller.

One thing that really surprizes me is the lack of any word on the new Summit Audio 2ba-221 mic pre. Looks killer. It's been out for a while now, and so far no reviews. Why hasn't anyone bought it yet? Am I going to have to be the guinea pig on this thing? :D

Isnt the summit a starved plate as well? At that price point a starved plate design is destined to fail.

Im waiting to hear some stuff done with the Great River pre, If it has the Neve sound Ive lusted after It will be mine. Other than that I wouldnt mind hearing the Summit.

darrin_h2000 said:
Isnt the summit a starved plate as well? At that price point a starved plate design is destined to fail.

Im waiting to hear some stuff done with the Great River pre, If it has the Neve sound Ive lusted after It will be mine. Other than that I wouldnt mind hearing the Summit.

One channel for just $975. Gideeup.

I guess M-audio's tampa pre got lost in the shuffle too. Its been out for a little while and I havent heard a peep. Along with drawmers new channel strip. A year ago there were only a couple of decent options at mid price points and now there seem to be several but nobody is interested?

Chess, I encourage you to get the summit pre and report back here. Order from MF and you have 45 days to return it and then another 45 for them to get it once youve retruned it. You cant beat a 3 month return policy. :)

darrin_h2000 said:
Isnt the summit a starved plate as well?

Nope. No starved toobs, there. :D Still not an all-out tube design, either, though. The tube is at the output stage, and it's variable so you kinda' get the best of both worlds.

I think GR has pretty much gained the kind of reputation to where you wouldn't have to worry about that. Anything with their name on it, you can pretty much take it for granted it's going to sound like the real deal.

Probably the event with the most future historical impact IMHO
will be when Stephen Paul's microphone comes out.
Kind of like being back in time when Neumann came out with
the U47, or when the Telefunken Elam 251 was born.
At that price point, it will mostly be the more serious enthuiasts
and pros who buy it, although it should offer incredible sound.

Starved plate tube designs don't have to sound bad.
Judicious use of it can be used for good instead of evil.
You can constructively make a vocal sound more gritty,
for example by pushing it, or use a mild amount to thicken it.
Bumblebees weren't supposed to fly either!

Chris

"At that price point, it will mostly be the more serious enthuiasts
and pros who buy it, although it should offer incredible sound. "

i agree with that. i believe alot of pros will buy the Stephen Paul mic. they pay him close to $2000 to modify mics that they alreay paid over $2000 for...and the target price for his is going to be around $1600 i think. he is out to make a mark with this mic and he seems very exited about it. that is a bargin bin price in the market he is aiming at.

alan said that his goal was to show that you could get stellar mics without having to pay the high german prices....looks like he's right on track. being able to sell the stephen paul mic ...not an off the shelf mic with stephens name on it....one that he created from the ground up....HIS BABY! and sell it for under $2000. how in the hell can anyone top that?

shit, in the pro market they could probably get 6 grand for that.

like i said, i think it will create a buzz when it hits the streets.

My vote for a "buzzworthy" product is not a microphone, I don't know if I should post it here... but this is where the question is so, I vote for the Peterson VS-1 Virtual Strobe Tuner. It costs half what you would exspect to pay for a strobe, (it's $200), works great (I have one)... I don't like having to tell a guitar player his guitar still isn't in tune after he tunes it, but it happens a lot. It is very satisfying to tune a guitar and have it sound... in tune.

gorbyrun said:
My vote for a "buzzworthy" product is not a microphone, I don't know if I should post it here... but this is where the question is so, I vote for the Peterson VS-1 Virtual Strobe Tuner. It costs half what you would exspect to pay for a strobe, (it's $200), works great (I have one)... I don't like having to tell a guitar player his guitar still isn't in tune after he tunes it, but it happens a lot. It is very satisfying to tune a guitar and have it sound... in tune.

good point. i bought a korg (yes, i know it's not a peterson) recently. they are getting better all the time. i might do a roundup review of tuners.

Back