What do you think about these things ?

Firefab

Hi ! I was wondering if these products worth the purchase ?

There is the Sonarworks Reference 3 that calibrate the headphone to be flat for a better mix ( Overview - Sonarworks ) 99 euro (Like 150$ canadian)

And there is the new Waves NX plugins that simulate a profesionnal treated room ( Nx – Virtual Mix Room over Headphones | Waves ) (50$ us)

The reviews on the web looks good, I know that it can't be the same as a profesionnel room but is it good for a home studio that is not 100% well treated ?

Wich one would you bought ? Or both at the same time ?

Share your tought here !

At the Sonarworks page you provided the link there is a testimonial from a certain ~Abraham Martinez~. He says:

I had practicality retired my HD600's when I came across Sonarworks. I downloaded the free demo and to my surprise the headphones came alive!​

Funny. The software supposed to calibrate the headphone to turn its frequencies into something 'flat' but the guy says that it 'came alive'. Normally when we think that sound 'come alive' is because it became more colored and not more flat.

Just because this I wouldn't trust on this stuff. I would like that someone convince me that I am wrong though...

:rolleyes:

Now for the Waves thing, well... Waves is respected as being a serious company doing good stuff for pro audio, but even great companies has their amount of BS too. Looking forward to read some real life testimonials from forum mates though. Other than that I don't trust that much on web hyping to open my wallet and put money on Peter Pan magical powder...

;)

Last edited:
You can adjust the eq of your headphones to make them sound different, but the audiologist at the local hospital was showing me some of the gear when I took my elderly mum to sort her hearing aids out. He had gizmos that slid thin tubes into your hearing canal, near to the eardrum, so they could hear what sound was like at that point, and then adjust the hearing aid's performance to suit, but he explained that having a flat response right at the eardrum doesn't always sound 'right'.

I've got a couple of pairs of headphones that can be used to make eq and effects choices, but they're just not that good for mixing - image placement and balance just don't seem to transfer to speakers, so I never mix on headphones.

Probably both do something to improve headphone mixing ... but are the results really any better? With the headphone thingie you select the "headphone profile" - does this really have EVERY headphone model in its library? What about the effect of an OLD set of headphones that don't have the same characteristics as a new one?

Neither of these items is taking the listener's hearing ability into consideration (the Waves one lets you put in the listener's head size? WTF?) So it must merge left & right pans a little to simulate speaker listening. How about the fact that my tinnitus is worse in my left ear than right ear - or any other idiosyncracies the listener may have?

Hi ! I was wondering if these products worth the purchase ?
no.
There is the Sonarworks Reference 3
Waste. Get a better room calibration kit, or hire someone who knows what they're doing to come in a fix things.
And there is the new Waves NX plugins that simulate a profesionnal treated room
Fail again. Does nothing of the sort. I own legal valid licenses for their entire product line. This one is a fail.
The reviews on the web looks good
As do they all.
I know that it can't be the same as a profesionnel room
Not even close.
but is it good for a home studio that is not 100% well treated ?
Not even close.

Go get your room treated, or learn how to treat it yourself. If you're fat and obese, go to the gym and fix your problem correctly. Don't gobble cheap diet pills from your local gas station then complain about how your six pack still doesn't show.

Back