What DAWs are best for using with a Zoom R16?

AndyK235

I am a Tascam guy, but I realize that for editing and mixing tracks, a DAW offers far more choices. However, I am DAW challenged. I have tried them and I find them very confusing. I am not into using MIDI at all (the closest thing to MIDI I use is Yamaha electronic drum pads (and occasionally a keyboard), but even then I play them rather than program them)---I don't need to program sounds, just record instruments. My style tends toward 50s and 60s style music. I purchased a Zoom R16 and I have limited experience with Reaper, which is okay even though I don't really understand all of the stuff. I also tried a Cubase LE (7 I think) but it was a disaster. I want to use my Zoom R16 with a DAW, to get the most out of a DAWs editing, tweaking and mixing capabilities, but I want one that is mainly geared toward recording rather than MIDI programs and is relatively easy to learn. (I understand they all have a learning curve).

I have the Zoom R-16 and I use it with Reaper as an AI. No issues at all. Reaper is a great DAW and the R-16 works well as an audio interface with mixer, effects and other benefits. As long as you use the latest driver..........you'll be fine. You don't mention what you record as far as instruments.......etc.......so I can't offer further advice. As you're aware.......the very portable Zoom R-16 can also record tracks that you can easily move to the DAW if you wanted to.

I have the Zoom R-16 and I use it with Reaper as an AI. No issues at all. Reaper is a great DAW and the R-16 works well as an audio interface with mixer, effects and other benefits. As long as you use the latest driver..........you'll be fine. You don't mention what you record as far as instruments.......etc.......so I can't offer further advice. As you're aware.......the very portable Zoom R-16 can also record tracks that you can easily move to the DAW if you wanted to.

I usually play both acoustic and electric guitar, bass, various percussion, and drum pads. That is my current line up most of the time. I also do vocals, though not well. I have to multi-track them because I don't have a great voice, but multi-tracked I can sound okay enough. I have keyboard but I haven't used it much because I am not a great player (although I am capable of playing basic piano or organ parts), although a good friend of mine and I have been talking about collaborating and he is a keyboard player. I much more a bassist/rhythm guitarist, although on occasion my lead guitar work can come out pretty decent.

I have the R16 and I use it with Reaper.
CBase Lite is rubbish and, despite being bundles with the Zoom, isn't very compatible.
Reaper is an excellent DAW, cheap as chips or cheaper if you don't pay up.
With Reaper the R16 works as an AI well, as a control surface it's OK and as a source for files is excellent.

Back